Twin cylinder engine problem

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I could get the engine to run great on either cylinder but not on both. The problem turned out to be, It had a two coil magneto with a fly wheel for a single coil twin engine. So to solve this situation I would either need a twin single coil magneto; or a twin flywheel. After searching quite a bit, I could find neither.

My only option was to install a standard twin(motorcycle coil). However this required a battery to operate. I installed a 6 volt 12Ah battery and got both cylinders operating properly. I built a box below the seat to house the coil and a box mounted on the stem to house the battery & kill switch.

If anyone has a phelon/Power Products twin coil or flywheel please let me know what you want for it!

The bike runs and rides well but is a bit tall for me; as I am short.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russell,
That is a beautiful Motorized Bicycle.
I hope you've figured out the ignition problems and everything is working good for you.
I wish I could help with the parts you need but I can't.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That is a bike to be proud of.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That IS a very beautiful bike and I really like the twin cylinder engine a lot... somewhere back in the 70's I remember Husqvarna made a twin cylinder chainsaw and both cylinders fired at the same time due to the design of the crank and it being a 2 stroke.
Does yours have the same crank with the pins 180 degrees from eachother or are the rods both on the same pin so it has to fire twice per revolution?
I was thinking maybe one of those Husqvarna chainsaw ignitions might be able to be fitted to your crank? They quit making those twin cylinder chainsaws back in '79 or '80 so parts may be hard to find tho... but maybe worth looking into?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very nice bike in many ways, but what a lot of people are going to be most envious of is the lantern headlight.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Incredibly beautiful build! Probably no way it would work, but did you look at any of the Maytag stuff to see if it could be possibly used? Both the Eisemann and Wico ignitions use a stacked double coil(2). http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=557474&postcount=53
That is a pretty interesting setup, never saw stacked coils befor. This bike won't be my daily rider as I have three other great running MB's. So I think that I'll try to hang in with the battery setup. The longest ride so far has been 2hrs. and the battery was down to about 5.2v.

Thanks for the input, I love those maytag twins but they usually priced out of my buget range.

Last edited: