12v dc horn diagram

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Here:

For a battery, which produces DC current, you want a DC horn.
If your battery is big enough, you could use a car horn if you wanted to. They do take alot of power though and although small batteries could power them, the battery won't last long, especially if you have lights too.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depending on the amperage of the horn and switch you choose you might need a horn relay in that circuit. The switch needs to be rated at 125% of the horn amp draw.
A switch that isn't rated to take the amps can weld the contacts closed.

Tom

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty gearnut and 2 door the battery is one like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item19d8ea64d3

i got my turn lights and brake/running light that runs off the battery thats all and never use the running light as i dont ride in dark well not so far,
i just need a cheap horn as the chinsea crap i had was useless and need horn as bike his regestered as a assembled moped and need a horn on it

the switch will be a cheap one something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KILL-SWITCH...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6eb90c5a&vxp=mtr

will this work with the switch and battery???does not say if it is dc or not again ty for your input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-Mot...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4855fc3c8f&vxp=mtr

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They don't give the amp rating on that switch you linked. Typical for ebay sellers.

You might just have to experiment. The switch will work. It is a normally open momentary switch but it depends on how many amps the horn pulls whether it will be able to take the current or not.
If you have access to a DC ameter you could check to see what the horn pulls but without knowing the rating of the switch it won't tell you much.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Switches don't care about AC or DC.
Amperage and voltage dictate what a switch can handle.
Tom's recommendation of checking the horn's amp draw versus the switch's capacity is a very good one.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty again sorry been offline last 3 days just moved house just got back online ,the first horn in the first post says 20 watts would that be ok , i not good with amps and stuff sorry :( could anyone put me to a link with cheapish horns up to $15 that i could use ty :).

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
When you mount that horn, be sure to use the provided mounting bracket. They are typically made of 2 leaves of flat spring steel sandwiched together. Believe it or not the horn needs this flexible mount to resonate properly. Without the mount it will still honk but it will be weak sounding with a strange tone, not how a horn should perform.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty again for the info gearnut the horn came and works great with the diagram now just need to find where to put it .