Hello, Mr. Officer

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I guess we all get our turn with that statement. Mine hasn't come yet after three years of hard riding. Part of living on the edge of town, I guess. Anyway, I filled out one of those motorized bicycle/moped forms, paid my $19, and received a licence plate in the mail about a week and a half later. From there I called my insurance agent and got moped insurance. With all that and my M1 motorcycle license I hope Mr. Officer scratches his head and drives away. Mounting a plate on a boardie was a challenge!

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Don't forget to be wearing your DOT approved helmet....them old leather condom helmets ain't gonna pass inspection. And use your hand signals.

Looks nice but you don't want to lay that bike down on the right side....might get a calf gusher.

Seems like making a necklace-like tether and wearing it around your neck (so the plate is displayed on your back) would be an easier way for all intents and purposes.......wouldn't detract from the bike as well. Why don't they make them a wee bit smaller? It's not like you're going to outrun any vehicle law officers use (except maybe their Mtn. Bikes). They don't enforce it down here yet thank goodness, but I am a builder with an M1 as well ;)

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Just get on of those big clear hunting license envelopes wirh the big safety pin for the back of your jacket. That's what I have.
Dan

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Yeah, the plates are huge and really no cool way to mount it. I was pulled over once for having a license plate hung on my Landcruiser with bailing wire till I could properly mount it. The officer pulling me over said the plate had to be securley fastened to the vehicle. No ticket but he told me to fix it. I doubt wearing it on your jacket would be acceptable.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thank for this post Pat, I have the ball rolling and contacted my insurance company. It will be nice to roll with some kind of peace of mind. Now I need to stamp some numbers in the frames.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Happy to help. Serial numbers are fun. For you try CCC001 with your initials on the end. Then your son can get CCC002 with his initials on the end. Very personal builds get very personal serial numbers. If you stamp the same numbers in the engine case you'll have a "matching numbers" build!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Besides having a giant license plate, it's now illegal to mount them sideways. they have to be horizontal and readable from behind.

They really mess up the looks of a custom bike, but it's funny when a cop stops you just because you have a license plate.

I got stopped a few times by cops asking me how i got it registered... :)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I figured being mounted sideways wasn't cool. Man, I just can't win with this stupid plate. Probably going to cost me a record at Bonneville next year!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If it comes too it....I'll tatoo one on my a$$. I doubt that day will ever come however :D

Anyway the gov can make a buck.....they'll stick it to ya.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I feel bad I am *****ing about AZ motorized bicycle laws but I will continue to keep trying to relax them a bit as nothing gets done just complaining about it, you have to learn the politics game to get a change.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We don't have to mess with plates here but too bad they won't let you just paint on the numbers like you can do with a boat, and just keep the sticker in plain view as well.