Hub motor with 25.9 v battery, can i feed it extra juice?

GoldenMotor.com

orpheusmaximo

Aug 9, 2013
Las Vegas
Hi there. I bought a Flying Pigeon electric mountain bike two 1/2 years ago, the best bike I ever had, unfortunately eventually the frame just gave away and broke in half. I'm trying to build a new bike with the still functioning rear hub-engine and XH259-10j battery ( DC25.9 ). Question: Could I install extra battery packs and feed it to the hub in parallel to the 25.9 battery? Could I install a switch and use it as "afterburner" power ( or in electric bike reality, more like extra juice for hill climbing )? Thanks!

orpheusmaximo

Aug 9, 2013
Las Vegas
Another question: Can I also bypass the pedal sensor ( the engine only turns on during pedaling ) with a switch, so as to be able to control when the engine is on or off even if I'm not pedaling?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
not sure on the afterburner. it all depends what voltage the controller can handle. example is my bikes controller is good up to 60 volts. I run a 48v lifepo 4 battery however a lifepo4 batter at full charge is putting out around 58v so after burner on my is out of the question because I would fry the controller. you will need to find out how much electric the flying pigeon is rated for and can handle.
bybass sensor I am sure their is a way, I know we bypassed on one an old Schwinn electric. I am not sure how to do it on your model however their will be a small wire going to the crank or back to the rear sprocket to pick up if the crank or the rear sprocket is turning. find that and should be easy from their. here are a couple pictures of the pedelic or sensor on one style of bike, give you an idea of what you are looking for

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
In parallel you would only gain Ah (longer range) . What size is your current battery? What type? Has nothing to do with voltage, as putting two batteries of the same voltage won't change nominal voltage.

Most likely worth doing if the batteries aren't too heavy, but 24V systems are never barn burners.

IF your current battery is too small for the job and voltage instantly goes really low in use, then another battery in parallel would feel like an afterburner I suppose.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Not sure about your motor, but I pushed 72 volts into a Crystalyte front hub motor, and that sucker did VERY well! Mileage was great @ 54 miles, but carrying 6 lead batteries was killer.:-||

orpheusmaximo

Aug 9, 2013
Las Vegas
Thanks for the replies. The afterburner idea would put the 2nd ( or even third ) battery pack past the first one and the first one's controller ( so as to not damage that, straight into the hub cable ). Would it sum the voltage if in series instead of paralell? Though more mileage is not bad, the idea is to get acceleration / stronger torque.
I will post some photos of my project, I have disassembled the bike.
I have another question, about the bike's frame:
My bike is built just like a 29" in every way and size, the hub won't fit a 26" mountain I have ( not size of tire but sidewise length of shaft / hub )
and yet the tire says 26". ???
Thanks. Will post photos of my project. I'm ashamed to say I never took any pics of my bike when it was working, best bike I ever had, I guess I was always eager to ride!
What sucks is I can't find the same model anywhere ( or I would just buy a new frame ), not FP factory site or the FP store in LA or youtube clips. And it just says "City Power" and "Lasting" and "FPpower" on the frame, no name or number. I bought from a local Vegas guy I found on Craigslist, he had like four of those in his garage, now I wish I had bought more than one! Big, sturdy mountain bike, when I check the FP site I see a bunch of flimsy city/road bikes!!!??? Go figure.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Like I mentioned before, I pumped 72vdc by installing six 12v lead batteries in series. More power PLUS longer range.

BTW, nothing overheated or broke down. Everything was warm like cocoa.

orpheusmaximo

Aug 9, 2013
Las Vegas
Like I mentioned before, I pumped 72vdc by installing six 12v lead batteries in series. More power PLUS longer range.

BTW, nothing overheated or broke down. Everything was warm like cocoa.
That sounds great. What kind of batteries did you use? I also have a gas moped, the battery that comes with it look very interesting, small enough to fit a bicycle as extra packs ( I could of course buy an extra frog lithium if I get serious about the aburner / extra power idea ). Did your wire your 72vdc through the existing controller? Thanks!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I bought the standard 12v/?AH lead batteries from a battery shop.

Yes, 72vdc went directly to the controller that came with the kit.

Sorry, I gave the system to a friend years ago, and that's all I remember.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
My advice is fix the frame or get a new one. Sure you can increase the voltage. Sure you can run extra pack. You say it wont fit your other frame? How wide are the dropouts on the flying pidgin? How wide is the hub motor and axle? what size is the tire? 26x?. How many gears is on the hub? What kind of brake?

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
some controlers dont like it...some will take it...i know that i blew my controller that was in my apc/autozone brushed bike by putting a evil lipo on it (lipo is not evil in general...but i setup a battery that was about 8ah at 22v(rated actual voltage was about 24/25v)...but about 600amps)... im guesing the amperage was a bit much...or just a chitty controller lol...maybe do some more searching to see how much luck people have had with your specific controller?

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Some controllers will select the voltage, most won't. I can not at all recommend randomly doubling the voltage (batteries in series), but if you do, I want to witness it. I love sparks and smoke....zpt

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yep. I think I am becoming an electric bike nut. Imagine that. Sucks that Jim has the 48V. All I have right now is the 36V. I do have a 48V controller.........need battery......drool.........ride.........drool...........

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
Yep. I think I am becoming an electric bike nut. Imagine that. Sucks that Jim has the 48V. All I have right now is the 36V. I do have a 48V controller.........need battery......drool.........ride.........drool...........
i am starting to get a little more fond of them as well...funny thing is...ive been doing electronics for ever...was an aviation electronic tech in the navy as well as a robotics tech/special effects for hollywood for 13yrs....been building gas bikes for a few yrs...now im finally getting into ebikes

sorry...not trying to derail..back to the topic at hand :)

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
some controlers dont like it...some will take it...i know that i blew my controller that was in my apc/autozone brushed bike by putting a evil lipo on it (lipo is not evil in general...but i setup a battery that was about 8ah at 22v(rated actual voltage was about 24/25v)...but about 600amps)... im guesing the amperage was a bit much...or just a chitty controller lol...maybe do some more searching to see how much luck people have had with your specific controller?
Brushed motors are easy to burnout. Most brushless controllers can handle at least 60v

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
i am starting to get a little more fond of them as well...funny thing is...ive been doing electronics for ever...was an aviation electronic tech in the navy as well as a robotics tech/special effects for hollywood for 13yrs....been building gas bikes for a few yrs...now im finally getting into ebikes

sorry...not trying to derail..back to the topic at hand :)
I was an Army Avionics tech in 1967-69. Back then Army and Navy shared the same radios.

Sorry to sidetrack.

FWIW, I misplaced my controller, and my friend fried his controller while climbing steep hills.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies. The afterburner idea would put the 2nd ( or even third ) battery pack past the first one and the first one's controller ( so as to not damage that, straight into the hub cable ). Would it sum the voltage if in series instead of paralell? Though more mileage is not bad, the idea is to get acceleration / stronger torque.
I will post some photos of my project, I have disassembled the bike.
I have another question, about the bike's frame:
My bike is built just like a 29" in every way and size, the hub won't fit a 26" mountain I have ( not size of tire but sidewise length of shaft / hub )
and yet the tire says 26". ???
Thanks. Will post photos of my project. I'm ashamed to say I never took any pics of my bike when it was working, best bike I ever had, I guess I was always eager to ride!
What sucks is I can't find the same model anywhere ( or I would just buy a new frame ), not FP factory site or the FP store in LA or youtube clips. And it just says "City Power" and "Lasting" and "FPpower" on the frame, no name or number. I bought from a local Vegas guy I found on Craigslist, he had like four of those in his garage, now I wish I had bought more than one! Big, sturdy mountain bike, when I check the FP site I see a bunch of flimsy city/road bikes!!!??? Go figure.
JMO, I wouldn't bypass the controller, as you might fry the bypass switch OR the motor.

What you COULD do is install a 3-way switch from batteries to controller. Switch goes OFF/24v/72V. When you flip to 72vdc, you WILL hit the afterburner.

Or you could simply use the existing switch, KNOWING that full throttle WILL be the afterburner.

IRT summing voltage, wire them up in series.

IRT summing amperage, wire them up in parallel.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Not sure about your motor, but I pushed 72 volts into a Crystalyte front hub motor, and that sucker did VERY well! Mileage was great @ 54 miles, but carrying 6 lead batteries was killer.:-||
Especially when they went weak and you had to pedal them, no doubt!