just wanted to share pic of head I got in today from Dax

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ordered the improved squish band angle plug head from Duane the other day just out of curiosity and for use on one of my engines of coarse, looks like it has been improved a bit, very nice clean machine work so I thought I would share a pic and get some feedback from whom may wish to comment on this heads improved combustion chamber.

Map

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
looks good to me man let us all know how good it works
Yeah this is a much better looking chamber than the stock head has, not sure if it will make a noticeable difference in how the engine runs or not, but if it boosts compression a tad and makes the mixer burn more efficient then that should translate into little extra power at least on the bottom end and or for pulling hills, seen Duanes add in his parts list and just had to see one up close and try it out.

Map

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Naw man thats the way they come nowadays! Much better kits recently. All the motors I have bought recently have had machining like this

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm using one on the bike I crashed. I was testing those heads, comparing with a standard straight plug head when I had the accident. I didn't get to check accurately the difference in performance but it was noticable.
The combustion chamber is smaller than the standard head, easily seen when you lay them side by side.
Maybe in a few weeks I'll be riding again and do some comprehensive tests.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm using one on the bike I crashed. I was testing those heads, comparing with a standard straight plug head when I had the accident. I didn't get to check accurately the difference in performance but it was noticable.
The combustion chamber is smaller than the standard head, easily seen when you lay them side by side.

Tom
Sounds good Tom, cant wait to hear your results.

The two heads that are together here in one pic is a straight plug head off of what I believe is a Flying Horse Engine and the other with it is a Chrome Slant Head I ordered a couple years back from BGF, the single pic is the Dax Slant Head and it is a much better looking chamber for sure and smaller for higher compression, it may not cool as good as the Fred head but the performance may be very close, I think on my next build Im going with a bigger carb and this head with a expansion chamber exhaust and see what my bike will do with a 30T sprocket Id love to have one that would cruise at around 38- 40MPH, hoping the Dax lower with a good combo of parts will get me there on next bike.

Attachments

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA

Tom
I would love to see actual numbers from a compression gauge, if you have one, could you PLEASE post for us??? I've heard these motors can run anywhere from 95 to as much as 125 PSI from the factory (depending on break-in, ring seal, etc.).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would love to see actual numbers from a compression gauge, if you have one, could you PLEASE post for us??? I've heard these motors can run anywhere from 95 to as much as 125 PSI from the factory (depending on break-in, ring seal, etc.).
Dave,
As soon as I'm able to get around a little better and work I'll take some comparison compression readings. Give me some time to heal up and I'll get back to you on this. Be patient. I'm an old guy with a broken leg. :)

Tom

2Stroken

Jun 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Sounds good Tom, cant wait to hear your results.

The two heads that are together here in one pic is a straight plug head off of what I believe is a Flying Horse Engine and the other with it is a Chrome Slant Head I ordered a couple years back from BGF, the single pic is the Dax Slant Head and it is a much better looking chamber for sure and smaller for higher compression, it may not cool as good as the Fred head but the performance may be very close, I think on my next build Im going with a bigger carb and this head with a expansion chamber exhaust and see what my bike will do with a 30T sprocket Id love to have one that would cruise at around 38- 40MPH, hoping the Dax lower with a good combo of parts will get me there on next bike.
Why did they machine that ring back into he head? For me, the head is junk because of the ring. It will leak and warp with no way to stop it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Why did they machine that ring back into he head? For me, the head is junk because of the ring. It will leak and warp with no way to stop it.
After reading this thread. I checked the head on my latest engine from ebay and it seems the head HAS had some extra machining done compared to the older motors. I like the squish band and it actually looks like it will work as intended to improve burn. I wonder if this is why the last four or five kits I've built have seemed so much snappier...the chamber in my head looks like the Dax head above.
I am surprised by the decent machining on the latest motors, lets hope we are getting better quality in other areas as well!

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've never had any leaking ssues with any of the stock heads, if the heads are torqued down evenly and with correct torque they work great and do not have leak issues , many of us here have hundreds and even thousands of miles on these stock heqds with no leak issues.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
the issue with the stock squish band is it's not formed to fit. The piston is 47mm and the combustion chamber is ~39.5mm. Dax shaped his so it conforms to the piston better, allowing a smoother, more even burn. However the deck height for some of these motors is quite ridiculous (mines around 2mm, 2011 version). and the angled plug doesnt help. Squish bands are nice for compression but increase temps due to a slower, secondary burn (burning the gas that was protected by the squish band during compression) if properly applied, and you lose power from that. If you can get the entire chamber to burn as quickly as possible you'll produce more power with less fuel, and reduce the risk of detonation and reduce heat from the second burn. Honestly, shaving the straight fire stock head would be the best solution I would think.

But... then again I'm still learning 2-stroke tuning. But I spent alot of time thinking about these things and reading up on the physics behind it

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I just installed this head today . I can tell you that the head is also Decked around 2mm compared to my stock head. I had to tighten my clutch to get the bike to turn over.

jgf

Dec 27, 2009
tan van,california
since you are on a DAX subject, let me please ask, should i order from him and skip the skyhawk and other brands? i am seriously looking to go for a 2 stroke kit and plan on ordering TOMORROW!! i am a good mechanic, but if the crank will be better, the thing will run cleaner, etc. then ill spend the extra money....

please throw out a quick recommendation to this 1st timer buying his bike motor... go for the dax premium pricing, or run through a different kit and sort it out?? i can tell you guys know the deal with these things, im sorry for cutting into your thread, but please... your recommendation

thanks JGF

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Many options out there, I've had good results with other engines that I still run, but the Dax engin s that have the balanced cranks is way and above the smoothest engine of all the engines I've had, it shines in th high RPM range, its just what you want, the dax is a bit more, he is a very honest man who provides great customer service, I have one of the x80 engines from lucky earlybird (LEB) engine still in box in pieces but I will say that it does have better looking crank and bearings than all the other engines I've seen off of ebay.

Persoanlly I dont think you will go wrong with a x80 kit but I have to say that I like the balanced dax for its upper rpm smoothness.

Mapa

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Their was a noticeable difference with this head. I would go as far as to say that it out preforms my first Jen Manic head for half the price. Hear is a pic of the head after I polished the dome.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Their was a noticeable difference with this head. I would go as far as to say that it out preforms my first Jen Manic head for half the price. Hear is a pic of the head after I polished the dome.
Didnt do anything to mine, just bolted it on, my bike runs good with this head but compression is a bit low for my taste, once I get my puch head on this engine I'll shave the da. Head down a few .001's and put it on one of my other engines that jas the old style head on it.dnut

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am looking for a strait plug head with a single circular dome no squish band that is higher comp ...
the dax head has the high comp and circular single dome but its a slant and has a squish band... if there were no squish band and they offered this head in a strait plug ver it would be the best head out there !!!

i may buy one any way though because the price is right ... even though i took the time to dremmal out the squish off my head and then decked it down to regain comp..

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i am looking for a strait plug head with a single circular dome no squish band that is higher comp ...
the dax head has the high comp and circular single dome but its a slant and has a squish band... if there were no squish band and they offered this head in a strait plug ver it would be the best head out there !!!

i may buy one any way though because the price is right ... even though i took the time to dremmal out the squish off my head and then decked it down to regain comp..

Might check this out, I have the Puch heads on two of my engines, just drill out the holes for the 8mm studs and they bolt right on, my need to use two gaskets for piston clearance, but they perfrom good and cool much better than a stock head if you think that is an issue, I've never had a cooling issue myself with any of the heads but I like the look of the straight plug Puch heads.

https://www.treatland.tv/Puch-50cc-Hi-compression-head-p/puch-hi-comp-head-50cc-maxi.htm

Here is the 50cc head I run on one of my bikes, needs 2 gaskets for piston clearance but works great.

Map
reddd

Last edited: