head gap. help!

GoldenMotor.com

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
So I just received my kit a few weeks ago, a 66cc powerking slant head. Upon inspection, saw the head & the jug not quite "close" to each other. after a few search here in the forum, read that by replacing the acorn nuts will solve the problem. So basically threw out the acorn nuts and replaced them with normal nuts. But it seems that after replacing the nuts, it still doesn't close the gap between the head and the jug (still not torqueing the head) but I tighten them not much but just enough to check if it will close the gap. Is this ok if I start the engine with this gap still wide? :-|| Here's a pic:

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
Thanks for the quick reply toadmund! That is what im planning is to lap the head for a better fit. But before trying to sand the head, would i be able to get away by using a rtv high temp silicone to close the gap?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's an interesting intake manifold. The cylinder casting looks pretty good too. What brand of motor is that?

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Thanks for the quick reply toadmund! That is what im planning is to lap the head for a better fit. But before trying to sand the head, would i be able to get away by using a rtv high temp silicone to close the gap?
Yes, I dont run a headgasket at all, using only Permetex Copper silicone as a sealer (I dont have any new gaskets and they all seem to leak anyway). I only wait an hour or two for it to dry before I try a test run too (I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious), as long as you dont get too much in the cylinder, you'll be fine, it'll cook off any excess, but yes, looks like bad casting burrs on your head, a quick lap procedure should fix that easily.

Last edited:

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it. Maybe i'll just torque the head bolts correctly and forget about the gap!

Bikenut- yeah the intake manifold is somewhat different to what I normally see on ordinary ht engines. And the motor brand is "powerking"

-Ryan

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Bikenut- yeah the intake manifold is somewhat different to what I normally see on ordinary ht engines. And the motor brand is "powerking"

-Ryan
Thanks for the reply. I've built one bike from a PK motor, but it didn't have that manifold. That one looks better then the normal ones. It did have pretty good looking castings though.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
PK 80's are all I run and I've never seen that, lap the head and cylinder, I also use copper spray casket on my head & base gaskets and never had a leak.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
how much torque should a person have on the head bolts?
Specs say 120 inch/pounds, if you're using a FOOT/Pound wrench it's 10 Ft/Lbs (12 inches in a foot, 120 / 12 = 10). Don't overtorque the fasteners on these motors, they are soft aluminum and will pull the threads if overtightened. Loctite is HIGHLY recommended.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
PK 80's are all I run and I've never seen that, lap the head and cylinder, I also use copper spray casket on my head & base gaskets and never had a leak.
none of mine have a gap like that but I wont argue about whether it is OK on that engine or not, also I use the K&W Copper Coat on my head gasket and I've never had a leak, I've never even had to re-tighten my head nuts.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Am I the only one that can see daylight between the head and jug in the 2nd pic? I'm not talking about the 1/2" gap between the fins either.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Am I the only one that can see daylight between the head and jug in the 2nd pic? I'm not talking about the 1/2" gap between the fins either.
The gap you speak of is exactly what we are all discussing.

I can easily see how some engines could have this gap and it not be an issue, if the raised area around the combustion chamber of the head that compresses the head gasket is thick enough it would cause the head to sit up like it is showing to do in the pic shown in this thread, as long as the head gasket is compressed down evenly and torqued properly there will not be a leak and then there is no problem.

The fact that I shave all of my heads down several .001'ths on all my engines may be one reason I dont see anything like that with any of mine and maybe the raised sealing area of the head is just much thicker on some engines.

as long as it seals good there is no problem just like several have already said here.

Map