First Tandem Build

GoldenMotor.com

JimSbike

Oct 11, 2012
Nor Cal
I wanted to build a bike for my wife and I to cruise around the neighborhood and also to have when we go camping in Lake Tahoe this summer. We both have motorized bikes but I wanted to see what the possibilities are for building a motorized tandem. I had an extra Huasheng 49cc 4 stroke with a 5G transmission sitting around the garage. I logged onto Craigslist and kept my eyes open for a mountain bike style tandem. I found an Iron Horse tandem, in really great shape, for $300 and started the build. I replaced the following items on the bike: Handlebars (cruiser style), tires, tubes (Slime brand), brakes, seat posts, seats(cruiser style), and bottom brackets. I added a 70" throttle cable, computer, tachometer, lights (front and rear), rear rack, rear panniers,and tire liners. It is geared with a 56 tooth sprocket.

The bike cruises at about 15 mph, at 6500 rpm. It will do 20 mph at 9000 rpm. It is perfect for a nice afternoon or weekend cruise. My wife and I love it and it gets tons of looks . I will most likely repower it before we go camping because I would like a cruising speed of up to 20 mph if necessary. I am thinking of a 79cc predator but haven't made up my mind yet. I am still in the research phase.

Jim

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Be sure to look up and read your local laws before you increase the engine size. Because you're a motorized tandem you'll be attracting even more attention then a single rider bike would.

JimSbike

Oct 11, 2012
Nor Cal
Thanks to everyone.

I just ordered the 79cc predator engine from Harbor Freight. I plan on calling AGK on Monday to talk about the options for transferring power to the rear wheel.

We are governed by California DMV rules. I will be pushing the rules but have been passed, and passed, numerous county sheriffs and Highway Patrol while out riding with nothing other than a glance as we pass each other. If I was out terrorizing the neighborhood they may have an issue. At my age I am well past that part of my life. I thoroughly enjoy cruising between 20 and 25 mph and checking out the scenery whether on one of my single bikes or the tandem with my wife.

Jim

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You're right Jim as long as you don't ride like an idiot and obey all traffic laws you should be fine. Years back I built outside the legal limits of my state and never had a problem. One day my idiot x-brother-in-law ran into my brother. Both were hurt really bad and had to go to the hospital with broken bones. They were both charged with operating an improper vehicle on the public roadways.

So to conclude what I'm saying is something beyond your control might cause you a legal problem. Such as an accident, road block or so on. It's for this reason I stress people should try to keep their bikes legal.

Last edited: