Upland cruisers at Kmart for $67!

GoldenMotor.com

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
I was at Kmart a few hours ago and they have uplands cruisers which are basically a huffy crab brook on sale for $67 plus tax and they are normally 129 so I thought I should let you all know and does any one know anything that should be done to the bike before I put motor on besides remove fenders and grease bearings and such? Thanks

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My first motorized bicycle was an upland cruiser, and I loved that bike. I removed the rear fender, but not the front one. I also ran a coaster brake only because I didn't know any better. That bike stayed on the road for about a year until my friend cracked the frame. He didnt pay enough attention to the rear mounting bolts, and they came loose. The engine vibrated so hard it cracked the seat tube. If he hadn't broken that frame, I'd probably still have it today. And $67 is a great price.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
while I'll repair coaster brake bikes, I never build them - one needs all the braking one can get, and gears are important too

for the cracked frame, I drive an old seat post down the tube and drill holes for a bolt above & below the crack - never had that fix go bad

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey BBB,The Huffy frames are steel, So they seem to work out well in most cases. But I would rather leave the rear fender on and take off the front though. The rear ain't gonna make you go on a "front fender ski trip". I left both of my fenders on my Cranbrook but made STEEL brackets for them. I also took off the cheap front brace, so that if it does come off it wont get stuck under the tire.
A couple months ago a customer was coming over to let me tighten up her front fender. She made it two houses down from me before the bracket busted. She went straight to the hospital. I had warned her about the problem and gave her a choice, Fender or no fender. She chose to keep the fender because she liked how it looked. She PROMISED to keep her eye on it. She did, but didn't bring it to me in time. So just be warned. The front fender can kill you. (same thing I told her.)
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
while I'll repair coaster brake bikes, I never build them - one needs all the braking one can get, and gears are important too

for the cracked frame, I drive an old seat post down the tube and drill holes for a bolt above & below the crack - never had that fix go bad
I've fixed em that way too crassius, But now I have a welder and know people that can weld better than I can. So I'll still ram a seat post in it, But weld it instead. If you weld it deep enough it will weld to the seat post also and be stronger than the original.
And yer right about coaster brakes. I would NEVER trust them with my life. I always put, at the very least, front brakes on it. I've even welded brake bosses to the rear frame for cantilevers. I've ridden bikes with coaster brakes only. It just don't feel safe to me.
fatdaddy.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
A couple months ago a customer was coming over to let me tighten up her front fender. She made it two houses down from me before the bracket busted. She went straight to the hospital. I had warned her about the problem and gave her a choice, Fender or no fender. She chose to keep the fender because she liked how it looked. She PROMISED to keep her eye on it. She did, but didn't bring it to me in time. So just be warned. The front fender can kill you. (same thing I told her.)
fatdaddy.
Wow, you are lucky she didn't sue you already but she still has 4 more years to do so.
Sounds like way too much liability for very little return.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Wow, you are lucky she didn't sue you already but she still has 4 more years to do so.
Sounds like way too much liability for very little return.
Like I said, I warned her about it and gave her the option. I also have a disclaimer that I give to every customer. It basicly says Fatdaddy's MotoPeds is not responsible for ANYTHING while riding on or using any parts installed by or bought from me. It even includes death as a possibility.
Like I said, She was warned.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, I didn't install the fender, just left it on at her request. I'm REALLY not responsible for fender brackets on any manufacturers bike.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I simply remove the fenders from all my sale builds.
I also refuse to install them when asked.
(and I do get asked)
I explain why and tell them to find some other way to get injured or killed.

I was at Kmart a few hours ago and they have uplands cruisers which are basically a huffy crab brook on sale for $67 plus tax and they are normally 129 so I thought I should let you all know and does any one know anything that should be done to the bike before I put motor on besides remove fenders and grease bearings and such? Thanks
Good price! What city/store location was that? They are $99 here and online. Thinking maybe the local store here might price match if I give em details maybe.

Last edited:

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
I got it from the Kmart In miles ohio Right now I'm transferring everything from my thruster fixie on to this bike The upland cruiser has way more comfort than a road bike I think I may buy a sprocket adaptor too I hate the ragjoint I can't get it Alligned

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The upland cruiser is a surprisingly strong frame. The only reason mine cracked is because the rear motor mounts came loose. This was back in 2010, before I knew this forum existed. I threw the frame in the trash. Like I said, didn't know any better about the coaster brakes. Still nothing wrong with them though. Add a front brake and they will be fine. I have a drum up front now. But you'll get way more leverage and force on a coaster brake than anything else, except maybe a disc. The only disadvantage of coasters is they cook the grease inside the hub, and they can fade over long downhill descents. If I had to choose between an upland and a huffy, think I'd choose the upland.

Jacob1807

Mar 3, 2013
Cadott,WI
Yes that is a good bike! I bought one about a year ago from K Mart for about the same price. This is the bike my motor is currently on. I just ground down the rear fender so i would not have to take it off. Also the bolt on the coaster brake rattled off so i put on a new bolt and a lock nut. I also love the wide tires. They have a lot of traction and on my bike the chain still clears. Please buy the bike!!!!!!!