Removing Front Engine Mounting Studs

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings everyone. I have a quick question about the front engine mount studs. I know these can be removed, but I'm not sure how. I'm thinking you can screw them out, but how can I do that without damaging the threads on the studs. What's the best way? even though I won't be using the studs (obviously, since I'm removing them) I don't want to damage them... just in case I need them again in the future.

What's the best way to remove the front engine mounting studs?

.shft.

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Ok.. I'm new at this so let me confirm what you said. Install two nuts on a stud, back to back... say half way down the stud, then try to remove the first nut. In theory this should remove the stud. Am I correct?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Ok.. I'm new at this so let me confirm what you said. Install two nuts on a stud, back to back... say half way down the stud, then try to remove the first nut. In theory this should remove the stud. Am I correct?
Yah, pretty much. Put two nuts back to back and lock them together by tightening with two wrenches, then turn the bottom one and hopefully the stud will turn with it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just don't tighten the nuts together to excess. Too tight and it can damage the threads on the stud. Jamb them together just tight enough so that they don't turn on the stud but instead unscrews the stud from the case.
And yes, when uscrewing, you'll want to use the nut closest to the case (engine).

Tom

Maindog

Dec 17, 2012
Lincoln Park, Mi
trust me Motorbikenewb do yourself a big favor,,, just take a pair of vice-grips and loose those cheap china studs.. if not you will find yourself later on using a drill and bolt extractor to get the broken pieces of crap out later the hard way. (l learned the hard way, lucky i did not bust my ass in the process). don't worry about the threads if your going to just toss them anyway. BTW i just re=tap all the studs to a 1/4 20 and use good grade 8 USA bolts :). I like to use Cap head screws anywhere i can and lots of blue lock tight. when my first set broke i found myself with a motor hanging at a 90 degree angle to the frame at 30 mph. not a fun 30mph to the ground in 3 secs.