32" Genesis - 32" Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I were to buy this 32" wheeled bike, I certainly wouldn't motorize it as the frame doesn't have enough room to fit a small 4-stroke engine such as the 79cc HF Predator. I'd use it for pedaling up and down the boardwalk in PB and that's about it.

dnut

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I just wouldn't go for the 32in, since the coaster brakes aren't made for those large wheels.
I already have problems with my 29" wheels; and if they use the same coaster brake for the 32in wheels, even standing on the pedals to brake will hardly make the bike go slower. The larger the wheels, the worse the braking is.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I just wouldn't go for the 32in, since the coaster brakes aren't made for those large wheels.
I already have problems with my 29" wheels; and if they use the same coaster brake for the 32in wheels, even standing on the pedals to brake will hardly make the bike go slower. The larger the wheels, the worse the braking is.
I would rather use no brakes, than coaster brakes on a motorized bicycle.I just don't think coaster brakes are safe for the speeds and the weight of a bicycle with a motor on it. Vee brakes, u-brake, a compression release.......any of these options are better than a coaster brake, thank-you very much......good night.

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, too late on that one. The bits are already ordered.
I'm not stunned that the wheels are off balance. How well do these come spoked up from the factory? surely they need to be trued as soon as you take the bike out of the box.

As for the tires, i'm taking the front off and installing a 29er suspension fork ( rockshox XC32 ) with a 29er wheel up front. That means that i have a spare rim, tube, and tire if need be. I believe that a large 29er flat protection strip ( something designed for 2.5" x 29 tires ) would be usable inside the 32' wheel, if there is a little gap, then i can just use another strip to fill it out.

As for tires, i'm not buying replacements. If both tires and tubes go, i'll just convert the rear wheel to 29" and buy some schwalbes. Yes, they will cost a lot of money, but they are also worth every dollar in terms of wearing and flat protection.

In the meantime though, i do like the 32" wheel and hope to keep it around.

I'm not sure what this business is about 48 spoke wheels being less strong. For a wheel this large, 32 or 36 spokes would be inadequate, IMHO.

I really wouldn't suggest trying to motorize that 32 inch.

The wheels on it aren't going to be balanced for that kind of speed (20mph) at all.

I have a 29" and I've noticed the wheels aren't anything fancy and are slightly off balance. I don't even think it's possible to balance em either. I can only imagine how bad their 32" versions rubber is.

Also think future. Do you really want to pay 40$ +. For a replacement later? That's one tire by the way, and now that I think about it I have never seen a site that sells the 32" it's hard enough to find the 29's and tubes. Don't forget the tubes too. And the slime for each. Do you really wanna pay more for a replacement set of tires than you did for the bike? Because I have looked and genesis does not sell parts.

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
There's no way i'm using that rear coaster brake at all.. it will continue to coast ;)

With electric power, you have regenerative braking, which can be dialed in to be as strong as a 203mm disc brake, or stronger. My electric rear brake will be good enough, the coaster brake won't even be used.

And for the front, a 100mm 29er suspension fork when sagged roughly matches the height of the original 32" fork, so a 29" wheel up front will produce front height that is similar to stock. There's a disc brake attachment on the fork, so i will use a 180mm disc brake, and the rear motor will be set up to do equal work.

If you ever wanted to motorize this bike with a gas engine, i would still replace the front fork with something that can take a brake. The rear brake is just unsuitable for stopping at higher speeds.

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Just wanted to fill y'all in..

The 'large size' manic mechanic adapter fits perfect, and there are no spoke hole interference issues with it... two thumbs up!!

40T gives a good chainline on this baby, too. Maybe 48T would work better for you gas guys. The wheel measures 31 inches in outside diameter. That's quite a bit taller than a 26 inch outer diameter tire.