32" Genesis - 32" Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I was thinking either this one or the 29" version.
I spoke to a bicycle mechanic today, and he gave me some valuable insight:
The problem with a big tire, and large sprocket (41T and up), is that the torque actually destroys the spokes.
Happens more than you think, he told me. And he actually had one laying around in the workshop, that he happened to need to fix (a 26" with 51T sprocket).

In order to not destroy the spokes, you'd be better off with a smaller tire, and smaller sprocket.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I have a Genesis 29" motorized bicycle...56T. Kinda like a 50T on a 26". The spokes do indeed take some punishment, but mainly due to loosening and subsequent increase in torsion. I recommend you carry a #2 spoke-nipple-tool and check for slack periodically. This can be done by playing the wheel like that thing Spock jammed along with on Star Trek:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
They're actually very comfy for 6'+ people. Now you know how tall people have to suffer every day, because of tools made for regular people.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I have a Genesis 29" motorized bicycle...56T. Kinda like a 50T on a 26". The spokes do indeed take some punishment, but mainly due to loosening and subsequent increase in torsion. I recommend you carry a #2 spoke-nipple-tool and check for slack periodically. This can be done by playing the wheel like that thing Spock jammed along with on Star Trek:
This is actually how I check my OCC rear wheel and if you get them all to twang at a high C it comes out true without having to use a dial indicator, lol.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The more spokes, the merrier! Get a 48h Halo hub and directly mount the sprocket to the 6 bolt disc rotor flange. Stronger than 36 spoke rear wheel build. No problem.
The 48 spoke wheels on the 29er and I presume the 32er work
with the billet sprocket adapters too.

3 divides into 48 so the 3 bolt protrusions don't hit the spokes.

http://mmbikeparts.com/order.htm

just make sure that you get the large adapter.

29"bikes with 48 spokes per wheel requires the large adapter.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
My bad!

I thought I counted 40 spokes, on the Genesis Onyx 29, but it turns out to have 48.

48 spokes on the Genesis 32"

Many people don't recommend mounting the sprocket to the 48S wheels, because they're not very solid connections, and the spokes could be destroyed doing so.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My bad!

I thought I counted 40 spokes, on the Genesis Onyx 29, but it turns out to have 48.

48 spokes on the Genesis 32"

Many people don't recommend mounting the sprocket to the 48S wheels, because they're not very solid connections, and the spokes could be destroyed doing so.
Well then it sounds to me that many people don't really know what they're talking about. Same spokes, more of them, how can that be any less solid than a 32 spoke wheel build?

Why do you suppose some of the beefiest Downhill Race wheels use 48 spokes as opposed to say 32?

The only reason less spokes are used on a wheel build (besides cost) is to make it lighter. Not stronger......lighter.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
It's less strong because a 9hole sprocket mounts perfectly fine on a 36 spoke wheel, but not on a 48 spoke wheel
On a 48 spoke wheel only 3 of the 9 connections can be used.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's less strong because a 9hole sprocket mounts perfectly fine on a 36 spoke wheel, but not on a 48 spoke wheel
On a 48 spoke wheel only 3 of the 9 connections can be used.
Now that really depends on the hub and how you attach the sprocket. My 48 spoke Halo hub has six bolts holding the sprocket to it.

A rag joint used on a 48 spoke wheel works fine as well, although I wouldn't do it that way.

My wheels need to hold up to 20HP engines.......no matter how many spokes I'm using.

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Guys, i own one of these, and have posted some details and pics on the endless sphere forum.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48663&start=25

Wheel base is 52 inches if you can believe it. Just stupid long :)

The wheels are 48 hole, but i don't want to use them. I want to stick a 29er in the back, and 29er suspension fork + wheel up front.

Inner dropout diameter is about 125mm. That's a problem. I want to drive the rear wheel using a sprocket but those rag joint things look like a really poor way to do this. What kind of wheel/hub would be conductive to bolting on a small sprocket to the disc brake part?

neptronix

Mar 24, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Answered my own question ;]

Bought a digital caliper today, the diameter of the hub is 15.275.
This means the manic mechanic adapter fits :]

The spoke count is 48.. the Genesis 29er cruiser bikes also have 48 spokes. So if the 'large' adapter also fits the Genesis 29er, it should fit here too.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I really wouldn't suggest trying to motorize that 32 inch.

The wheels on it aren't going to be balanced for that kind of speed (20mph) at all.

I have a 29" and I've noticed the wheels aren't anything fancy and are slightly off balance. I don't even think it's possible to balance em either. I can only imagine how bad their 32" versions rubber is.

Also think future. Do you really want to pay 40$ +. For a replacement later? That's one tire by the way, and now that I think about it I have never seen a site that sells the 32" it's hard enough to find the 29's and tubes. Don't forget the tubes too. And the slime for each. Do you really wanna pay more for a replacement set of tires than you did for the bike? Because I have looked and genesis does not sell parts.