My first build. Cheap and efficient!

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
About the fuel filter and line.
I find that heating up the end of the tubing (clear vinyl type, gas rated) with a heat gun or hair dryer or a lighter if you are careful, and using a little bit of spit really helps a lot to get it to stretch and slide onto a filter or other thing that has a knob fit for a tube.

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Finally this week it got over 30°F. So, I decided that I better finish up my motorbike project. Here are the photos that I just took a couple of hours ago as promised.

So, after about 20 minutes of making adjustments to the carburetor, chain, and clutch I was ready to ride. Here's the finished product.

Notice no leaking on my hose adapter connections. Turns out RTV was not needed. I'm using some Polaris snowmobile synthetic 2-cycle engine oil that I already had. I mixed it at a 40:1 ratio. It was $50 for the gallon jug when I bought the oil 4 years ago. Hopefully I don't have to count that into my total cost, haha.

After riding the bike for about 10 minutes, I realized that I could not go without the tensioner. The chain stretched quite a bit right away. With the tensioner it will be much quicker to make adjustments as opposed to taking links out all of the time.

Just in case anyone's wondering. Here's everything that I spent to complete this project. I think I achieved my initial goal here.
$13 hanger materials
$15 bike
$2.50 fuel filter
$13.80 dual pull brake lever
$12.79 chain breaker
$24.98 bicycle cable cutter
$139.98 2 stroke 80cc motorized bicycle kit

$222.05 Total Cost

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Right on! Well done pulsar2121, and on a reasonable budget at that. You and I obviously agree on filtering- can't have too much. (^) Be mindfull of leaks with your fuel line set-up. And where are you with that much snow?! I'm in south west Montana, and we don't even have that much left below 6000'. We do however, have the really low temps. Allllmost over...

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
As far as your tensioner, go ahead and yank the chain, shorten it up as much as possible, THEN put the tensioner back on the frame. That's what I did and it works well, since I haven't had to adjust it much.
And also flip the long side to the inside of the frame so that way the engine can't yank it into your wheel.

I learned the hard way.

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
...And where are you with that much snow?! I'm in south west Montana, and we don't even have that much left below 6000'. We do however, have the really low temps. Allllmost over...
Eastern North Dakota. I took my motorbike out today to do some adjustments and had to go back in because it started snowing again. I don't think we are ever going to get out of winter this year.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
nice bike! there are two types of intakes that come with these engine kits and u got the crap kind. Those aluminum ones have tiny inner diameters (like 12mm) - a maniac intake will really really wake up your engine and they are only like $15. great build try some #41 chain its also really cheap and does NOT stretch. ride on! -MOTo

dsword75

Feb 26, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I would suggest adding some length to you fuel line allowing your filter to stand vertical. I have found that if your filter runs horizontal as shown here, that you will most likely have flow and/or bubbling issues. Just a suggestion to ponder before you fill her up .spr.