Third Build.... Schwinn Wayfarer Road Bike

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all. Just picked up a new bike yesterday at Kmart. Got me a Schwinn Wayfarer road bike. Has 26" 700c tires. I'm having a problem with getting the chain on this thing - the chain alignment is slightly off where it meets with the bottom of the wheel sprocket. I'm going to try to flip the sprocket, but does anybody have any ideas? The rear forks are super close to the wheel itself near the sprocket. In fact, I'm stuck with using the stock tension roller because the rubberized ones (From ebay) are too wide and rub with the spokes.

Racko

Jul 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Good looking bike

Tough question though, I would say invest in a sprocket adapter, with it you can change the lateral distance (how far or close it is to the spokes) this will make it easier to both fit the chain between your skinny forks and align it better

And for the chain tensioner, get either engine shives or one of those new fangled chain tensioners

Hope that helped!

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
I flipped the sprocket. I got the chain to fit, but its tight. I still can't get the alignment right because the space between the fork n rim is so close, I can't really play with the tension roller tilt

Racko

Jul 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Have you tried to adjust the position of the rear wheel? Moving it forward or backward in its slots, but keeping it aligned at the same time?

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Yeah, that wheel alignment did the trick. Thanks :) I'm extremely surprised at how fast this thing runs. I'm not gonna be a ****** and just WOT till i drop, but I was up and out with this thing! I wish my Genesis 29 had as much throttle response and get-up as this guy.....

Racko

Jul 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Glad I could help, these little things sure are cheap fun! It just needs to warm up so I can ride more often!

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Nice motorized road bike. Check mine on my profile page. It's a 1970s steel 10 speed. Do you like that speedo? I was thinking about getting one. How do you adjust it to your wheel size?