New Maryland Moped-Scooter Law

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Tinsmith, I did exactly that. I had a 6 by 1 foot piece of tin that i cut in half then attached behind my seat. I also attached the VIN with some rivets near the base of the frame.

It's nice to know, as the MVA lady said, I can ride anywhere 100% legally. Takes a lot of stress out of things. Plus, now my bike is documented and if it get's stolen there's a way to track it....i hope.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Very nice LTM! Got my tag today in Frederick. I used the forms you suggested and they had me fill out another pertaining to the title request. Took about 15 minutes and $5. I haven't decided where the VIN plate will go. The options are limited and I'm not sure I want to attach it anyway. Anyway, thanks for the info on this thread and good luck to the rest of you all.
Dan

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Dan, I am curious as to how much your yearly insurance premium is, and whats the deal with getting titled?

I haven't had the time or money to get serious about riding legally.

TiM

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Excellent, you guys! While it may seem like a pain in the orsch to have to do this, at least there is a way to take all of the uncertainty out of riding your bikes... never knowing if you are legal or not. Now you know!
SB

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great thread guys. i grew up in the dc area and was talking to a friend on the phone and he told me about the new law that just passed, in michigan it was a nightmare to register a bike. sounds like all is pretty simple and smooth in maryland, he said the state is just looking for a way to make more revenue. at least you guys can relax and not worry about being harrased. well worth the few bucks spent to ride your motorized bicycle with no worries

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tim, My insurance is $75 thru Progressive. On the first page of this thread, LTM lists the forms you need that are available on the MVA website. I downloaded them and filled them out and took those and proof of insurance with me. They also made me fill out another for requestinf a title which they said would arrive in a couple weeks. $5 and out the door. I think the title request is $15 but is waived thru the end of this month.
Paul, I concur that it's just another revenue source, but it's worth it. Thanks for your assistance in the past and keep up the good work. This is a great forum!!
Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
LTM, that's nice of you to offer. That's what makes this forum such an asset for all the "Wingnuts" into this stuff.
Dan

Pach

Dec 13, 2012
Maryland
Don't know if folks are still checking this thread...
Do you need to bring the bike to the MVA office in Maryland?
I don't know what year my bike was built because I got it used. I know when I put the motor on - now. I wonder if that will be enough. I have receipts for both the bike and motor.
Does car insurance not cover moped riding? Do I need to add the coverage just for the motorbike?

Thanks,
Pach

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
All you do is go to the MVA and fill out the forms for getting a moped title. No pictures are needed and they don't need to see your bike.

You need to get specific moped insurance, and just use the make and model of the bike and the year you got it.

It's actually a pretty simple process.

IINoxiousII

May 10, 2012
MD
I've been swamped with school and work. I haven't had a chance to make it down to the MVA yet. So far I haven't been stopped. I probably will play the dumb card when I do and bite the bullet and pay a trip to the MVA once that happens. Glad to hear its a painless process though. How much is the insurance setting you back annually? Been a while tinman! Hope all is well.

Pach

Dec 13, 2012
Maryland
Great. I will give it a try at the White Oak MVA office.
A late follow-up in case anyone cares...
Went to the White Oak MVA. The first person you talk to at the desk where you get your number to wait seemed a little confused about what to do, but she assigned me to someone that had no problem. They gave me an assigned VIN plate right there. No charge! (I have a feeling that might not be the case after October 2013).

With that I went home and applied for the title and ORV decal online. Got them in the mail in very little time.

Riveted the VIN to the frame. Attached the decal to the seat on a piece of aluminum.

Got insurance from State Farm for about $90 per year. Took the insurance guy a little time to figure out how to do it but not too bad. Had to get the VIN first.

Have a DOT approved helmet and eye protection so should be totally legal now. Albeit looking a little dorky with the helmet, but I guess that is the price to pay to save your noggin.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Pach, Good to hear it worked out for you. I didn't have any problem in Frederick either. It's purely another revenue source for the State, but at least we get a nice sticker to put on our bikes for it.'
Dan