Oh No! Iowa Law Sucks!

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
After building a couple bikes and really getting into this new found hobby, I decided maybe I should check the Iowa D.O.T. website to see what it actually said about Motorized Bicycles. Well it's a pretty gray area, but looks to me like they are illegal to ride on the street. Seems if they have a gas powered engine they have to be registerd like a moped. Only trouble is it also has to have a "Manufacturer's Certification Lable". Obviously since I am building them, they don't. Does anyone know anything about this type of law.
Guess I will just ride until I get caught and play dumb. So far I have had no problem. My main concern is someone will turn me in because of the noise level.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
MB laws, and their 'gray-area-ness' are commonplace...thats how they gitcha'.

noise level? normally, stock exhaust systems (if thats what you have) are fairly quiet if your gasket is intact.

you can always hit the kill switch and pedal if you sense trouble

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yeah, here in New York on the DMV website it says motorized bicycles can't be ridden on public roads, but the manner in which they address it it's lumped up with mopeds and scooters, etc. In reality I have ridden the bike in some of the strictest "village police" areas and they don't care. Just don't do anything stupid as you pass them; they have radar traps on the side of the road. They probably think of it as some stupid novelty thingy.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Most states have a procedure for registering a vehicle built from parts. I don't know why the same laws would not apply to "mopeds"- a hassle- but life is a hassle.

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
Yeah, here in New York on the DMV website it says motorized bicycles can't be ridden on public roads, but the manner in which they address it it's lumped up with mopeds and scooters, etc. In reality I have ridden the bike in some of the strictest "village police" areas and they don't care. Just don't do anything stupid as you pass them; they have radar traps on the side of the road. They probably think of it as some stupid novelty thingy.
lol stupid novelty thingy, thats what they call it here in Monrovia, and this cop was turning in front of me and she almost died laughing when she saw me :(rotfl