3 days almost 100 miles logged!

GoldenMotor.com

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
So I have had my motor kit build on for the last 3 days, and boy has it been fun!
I have putt putt around town with little to no gas consumption!:ride: I have used about 1/2 gallon to my first 95 miles, is this normal or am i just lucky and got the totally awesome easy to start perfect bike kit? Anyway I haven't gone over 20 mph with it yet, but want to know will it ever stop making the slight blowback sound i hear when im cruisin(8-12 mph):bike2 And is that sound only before complete break in? Well Hope you all give me some good feed back i would love to learn more about the break-in on these engines! I WANT TO GO FASTER THEN 20^5!!!! holdin half throttle all the time makes me mad!:( I want to zip around instead of PUTT PUTT! (^(^) Anyway thanks for all the support and help from everyone on the site TTYL!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, vary your throttle amount and engine speed too. A lot, don't be afraid to rev it up once in awhile either.

Ride it as normal after the first tank. The noise you hear could be a million things, ride it and isolate the "noise" and let us know more details.

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
Its slowly but surely quieting itself out, And i tried the varying throttle speed. Got it up to 30mph and I was afraid to hit the throttle full. I think it will do about 40 when its completely broken in. it did 30 without a hiccup, and i still had a 1/3 more throttle pull left :) hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so ill see if the noise is gone. Thanks guys! keep POSTIN!

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
Thanks for the help guys and the great Suggestions! Please if anyone else has anything to add to my topic of Engine Break in dont be afraid to toss it in here.

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
Oh the sound i hear from the engine was more like a high pitched whining. Like I could hear the piston inside screaming at me for doing 20 mph. But again like I said it is quieting itself out and if I am still getting some Random funky noises I will post them up Immediately! Thanks for the help! Gonna go Break my Bitchh in a little more!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take the right side cover off and put a SMALL amount of wheel bearing grease on the gears. Then if it still makes noise, glue a mouse pad on the outside of the cover and trim off the extra.

I LIKE the gear whine personally, with grease of course.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Check for fresh air leaks right away !!! Check it now !! A fresh air leak is certain death for your 2 stroke engine. Check it.. If you find any leaks.. Fix them right away.. And.. Then.. Enjoy the ride.....

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
Where should I check for air leaks? I have made sure everything is tight, and I have put Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease inside the gear case. What would i have to use to find if I had a leak. I wouldn't want the seals to tear trying to take it apart before it is completely broken in.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I also had that high pitched sound when I first started the new engine. I checked everything. I thought the rings were grounded to dust, but could not find anything wrong with it. The sound eventually disappeared after the 5th full tank. But do check any vacuum leaks, and re-tighten the cylinder head bolts after each 30 minute run. You'll be surprised how loose these bolts get after each run. Vacuum leaks usually occurs between the intake manifold and the engine, when the gasket is damaged. It can also occur between the intake and carburetor. Try putting an O-ring to make a seal between the intake and the carburetor before tightening the clamp.

Last edited: