Want to do it legal in NJ

GoldenMotor.com

Keblic

Jun 28, 2012
New Jersey
So I've been planning on building my own motorized bikes. I'm gonna get a 49cc 4 stroke HuaSheng, so that's within the legal limits of NJ of what I've read so far.

The only issue I think I could encounter is the fact that it says it wants paperwork of either the purchase or from the previous owner. What's the laws behind that if I'm just throwing on a motor onto a bike? Do I provide some proof of purchase for just the motor?

Also It said it needed proof of insurance, which I couldn't imagine being able to get without some form of registration number for my bike!

If someone went through this process let me know what to expect, and whether it's a complicated process or not.

Thanks!
Keblic

Update: I called NJDMV and it seemed like nobody actually knew the process to get a custom built motorized bike titled. I just kept getting transferred to different departments until I finally ran into someone who knew a little bit about it. They're sending me a 20 or so page packet about custom built vehicles and how to get them registered... Hopefully when that comes I'll get some much needed information.

After this whole process is over I'll make a nice post about what to do and my experience registering the build in NJ.

Last edited:

qwerty2000

Oct 18, 2012
NJ
So I've been planning on building my own motorized bikes. I'm gonna get a 49cc 4 stroke HuaSheng, so that's within the legal limits of NJ of what I've read so far.

The only issue I think I could encounter is the fact that it says it wants paperwork of either the purchase or from the previous owner. What's the laws behind that if I'm just throwing on a motor onto a bike? Do I provide some proof of purchase for just the motor?

Also It said it needed proof of insurance, which I couldn't imagine being able to get without some form of registration number for my bike!

If someone went through this process let me know what to expect, and whether it's a complicated process or not.

Thanks!
Keblic

Update: I called NJDMV and it seemed like nobody actually knew the process to get a custom built motorized bike titled. I just kept getting transferred to different departments until I finally ran into someone who knew a little bit about it. They're sending me a 20 or so page packet about custom built vehicles and how to get them registered... Hopefully when that comes I'll get some much needed information.

After this whole process is over I'll make a nice post about what to do and my experience registering the build in NJ.
Did you get it registered?

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
You need to get it registered. To do that, you need a title. To get a title, you need a VIN.

In PA, you need to go through the enhanced inspection program to get a VIN and title created for a motorized bicycle.

Sorry if that's a buzzkill. :)

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Any updates yet on riding these motorized bicycles in NJ,,Im about ready to call it quits,,i think they where working on a new law to allow these,,but not sure??
Thanks Tom :)

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
NJ is supposed to be working on a new proposal for a motorized bicycle license since 2010,,still waiting,waiting,ghost pedaling,killswitching,and having a blast!!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Hopefully the packet will have the information you need. In many of the states you have to meet the requirement of being a moped. So check out the moped laws there and see if that helps.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Hopefully the packet will have the information you need. In many of the states you have to meet the requirement of being a moped. So check out the moped laws there and see if that helps.
Yes,,
I could register it as a specialty custom built vehical$$,,but it would need some sort of vin# or origin #,,I dont see either of those #s on my bike or motor.It would also need to pass an inspection$$ meaning lights,horn,all that stuff,then need insurance$$,,in the end its not really worth all the headache for that,,so we are still waiting for now,,its kinda a grey area,,at the end of the day its only a bicycle with a helper motor.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
This is what New Jersey 39:1-1 defines a motorized bicycle as: "Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cc. or said motor is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower or is powered by an electric drive motor and said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.

You should also look up these NJ statutes as well: 39:4-14 (3).

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I would register it as a moped,,even a motorcycle since it is 67cc..but I have no numbers,, that's why NJ needs to recognize motorized bicycles for what they are,,so we can register them with a handmade title,, that's what needs to be done.The 2010 proposal bill for this is still sitting stagnant im sure,,i tried to call the number on the proposal but it put me through to DMV which said I need to register it with a specialty title,inspect,insure,lights,horn,all that jazz.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I just looked up NJ moped laws, and was sent to the definition of a motorized bicycle. Many states consider these to be one in the same. This is one of the main reasons I tell people to lookup and read their local laws before buying any kit.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I just looked up NJ moped laws, and was sent to the definition of a motorized bicycle. Many states consider these to be one in the same. This is one of the main reasons I tell people to lookup and read their local laws before buying any kit.
Yeah,,
Well when i get an itch for a new hobby nothin stops me,,not even the law,,I live right on the border of Jersey Pa.and my parents live up in the mountains of Pa.about 15 miles so.of me,,i just throw it in the back of my pup truck and go ride over there all day long,,never any law up there.also at night around here is a good time to ride,,if I see lights i just kill it and pedal,,so fun riding.I will also use a motorized bicycle for when I goto the races this Summer,,everybody there has four wheelers,mini bikes,and golf carts,,Ill be toolin around on one of my builds for sure!!
I plan on getting out of this state pretty soon also,,to dang cold for me anymore,,going to head west!

Well hope NJ gets there act together,,
If not,,I am building,riding,and selling kits either way :)

Tom :)

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've spoken with a few people who say they want a business selling motorized bikes. I let them know there's a lot more to running a business than building bikes. It's one thing for an individual to operate an improper vehicle on the public roadways. But one could get into a lot of trouble telling a customer its ok for them to do it.

One should avoid the phrase "Street Legal". Since the laws vary greatly from state to state and country to country. Wherever you may chose to live and if you build again read the local laws. It'll save you a lot of heart ache.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I've spoken with a few people who say they want a business selling motorized bikes. I let them know there's a lot more to running a business than building bikes. It's one thing for an individual to operate an improper vehicle on the public roadways. But one could get into a lot of trouble telling a customer its ok for them to do it.

One should avoid the phrase "Street Legal". Since the laws vary greatly from state to state and country to country. Wherever you may chose to live and if you build again read the local laws. It'll save you a lot of heart ache.
I tell them to check there local state laws and regulations first,its actually on the release form they sign before taking the bike.

Most all of you guys are breaking the laws anyhow by riding 67cc kits that go over 30 MPH in states that require 50cc kits with no more than 1.5 or 2 hp.

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Well I spoke with the cops around here,, I'm actually friends with a couple,,he said they are banned in town,,but they don't bother with them,,also he said as long as I keep it off the sidewalk and ride like a normal human being I would be fine,,so that's what i do and have seen 5 cops so far and none of them even care or look at me,,most of the time I spend riding up the river where its no mans land so we are good to go,,guess it just depends on how your town cops are,,mine are really cool and have bigger and better things too worry about than a bike with a motor that does 20 mph...lol

Good times....

Tom

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You're right Tom in most places if you don't ride like an idiot the cops won't brother you. On the down side however if your bike isn't legal there's always the possibility you may one day meet up with a cop who'll cite you. Another thing to consider is multi vehicle accidents. My brother and X brother-in-law hit each other 7 years ago. Both were hurt pretty bad. Both were charged with operating an improper vehicle on the public roadways. The bikes were improper due to cc size (66cc) and manual clutching. Here in Tennessee 50 cc is the limit and an automatic transmission is required. By the way my X brother-in-law caused the wreck.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
NJ with gas bikes, they want insurance, registration and inspection...
The BEST way to do it, is to get a moped frame and go from there..
If you're thinking of a gas bike, because you don't have a license, you could forget it.
They changed the law in the late 70's.
Before they changed the law, you didn't need anything for a moped. When I was 15, me and my friends would ride around all the time on our mopeds and never had a problem..

They changed the law, because EVERYONE with a DUI who lost their license were riding around on mopeds because there was no license needed.. Then when there were 5 fatalities in one year, because of drunks on mopeds, they changed the law to require a DL for a moped.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Unfortunately NJ doesn't have the restricted license clause in their laws (Like Florida has), otherwise you could use a gas bike/moped/car to get to work.
When I lost my license in NJ, in order for me to get to work, I would have to take..
Bus to Train to transfer to another train to another bus and walk 1/2 mile to my job.
Would take me 2+ hours to get to work or back to home..
Was such a pita.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I hear that,,
I have a class a cdl with cycle endorsement,,I heard nj changed the scooter law again back in 11' for a 49cc scooter you don't need a MC license at all,,let me see if i can find the info...if you have a dui or are revoked,,your screwed here either way,,if you get caught driving anything with a motor on the road you go to jail.

This is what I saw,,its no motorcycle license for 49cc.Take it like a grain of salt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2GRw3WzKA

lordmycropht

Jun 27, 2013
burlington county, NJ
after spending the better part of two weeks researching on the internet and calling/emailing the NJ MVC, this thread right here is the closest thing i've gotten to how to go about doing this in NJ. so, since the MVC can't give me anything more than a confused look...

how did you guys do it?

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I just talked to my local police they said I can ride as long as I stay off the sidewalk and dont ride like an a$$hole.So far I have passed alot of the cops and they just leave me alone.Especially if Im ghost pedaling...lol..just ride and play stupid,,its a grey area here,there is no way to register it unless you get a vin# somehow...plus its only a bicycle with a little motor so i aint too worried about it.

Good luck!!