Double ended cylinder stud

GoldenMotor.com

OutkastBab

Apr 5, 2012
texas
What is the function of this stud? I compleated my build last week and bike is running good but yesterday eve when i was cleaning up the build area i found this on the ground. I looked it up on a sites parts list and came up with "Double ended cylinder stud". Anybody?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You just got an extra part. That is a stud for mounting either the intake or exhaust manifiold. There should be two at each place on the cylinder. It is not a cylinder head stud; too short for that.

Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
So,its an internal part and theres already one on? Is it normal to have this part extra? Its a bgf 80/66cc
Like Tom said, that looks like a mounting stud for your exhaust or intake manifold, so external. You know the bolt you attach your exhaust pipe to? It is one of those. If you have two of those for your exhaust and two for your intake manifold (the pipe your carburetor attaches to, but on the engine side), then it is probably just an extra.

Here is a picture of the intake studs on my motor...

Looking at that picture with my piston at TDC makes me really wish I had tried harder to get my cylinder off to trim the piston skirt. I tried a little, when it did not come off easily i just figured it was best to not force it until I had to take it off at some point in the future. Oh well, who needs extra power?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Tom said, that looks like a mounting stud for your exhaust or intake manifold, so external. You know the bolt you attach your exhaust pipe to? It is one of those. If you have two of those for your exhaust and two for your intake manifold (the pipe your carburetor attaches to, but on the engine side), then it is probably just an extra.

Here is a picture of the intake studs on my motor...

Looking at that picture with my piston at TDC makes me really wish I had tried harder to get my cylinder off to trim the piston skirt. I tried a little, when it did not come off easily i just figured it was best to not force it until I had to take it off at some point in the future. Oh well, who needs extra power?
Maurtis,
Thanks for adding the photo and the good explanation. You helped the man out.

As for your piston skirt; yours is much better than some. I've seen them covering nearly half of the intake port. It's doubtful you'd notice any improvement by trimming that little amount from the piston.
If you need to remove the cylinder in the future the gasket is all that holds it. Just use care and pry it loose and pull straight up remembering that the piston rings will expand when the piston comes out of the cylinder. You'll need to compress them and align the rings with the pins in the ring grooves before reinsatlling the cylinder.
Tom