tandem question

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Im thinkin bout a tandem build . the question I have, the spokes, rims and brakes on a tandem are they heavier duty then 26 inch rimmed standard bikes. If i do one itll be from an older tandem.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
the only reason I even thought bout it was a man down the road offered to sell me his bike "pile" for 250$. I need to go take a peak he says there are 4 old tandems in there. From the road it looks like a pile.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I think most are, but there'll be some that aren't. Gotta figure, or at least hope, that they'd build for the weight of two riders.

The one I built had monster spokes and 5" Drums front and back, but that was from '63 :p I'd inspect the one you want to motorize before you buy, to be sure.

This's those monster spokes and brake: http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/killercanuck77/63 Tandem/SAM_0259.jpg?t=1332725119

gl.
A few of those and that pile would be worth his asking price maybe scrap out whats unusable weight to recoup some of the price. I gotta go peak at these maybe tonight

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool cool, give him the ol' "Well I gotta load and transport it all..." $50 off :p Those old tandems are worth a few buck fixed up, without a motor even. Can barely buy a brand new tandem for under $400 these days.

Then even the scrap frames will have useful parts on them, for future use.

Good find. Best of luck.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh Goodie!

I get to disagree with my good buddy in the land of the BlueNose!

Tandem road bikes are super-high bucks! Wowee!
and the sort of people who buy 'em will not EVEN look at anything that is not VERY recent, hi-tech, and in pristine condition.

Aside from that, any other tandem must be in close to tip-top condition, and have at least very good paintwork in addition to squeeky clean seats and almost new tires and such.

That is to say, all the things that take an awful lot of labor to straighten out, and cash outlay to replace with new.

The pile might be worth a crisp hundred dollar bill.
But only if you are willing to put in a bunch of labor, gratis.

lol
and that's MY opinion.
lol

rc

BTW, my local salvage yard will GIVE me all the bicycles I will haul off their premises.
the 'mixed metal' is too costly for them to deal with.
...which means, they didn't GIVE anything for them.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol, I forgot about the "road-racing" tandems... or "Dual-spandex-special"... $k's of bucks. But even a lowly putting around tandem isn't cheap, for sure.

I don't disagree, just saying 'some are better than others' :) But that's a good idea, just offer him $100 to get the pile of is yard, heh heh.