Gas Tank Installation with Custom Mount

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you've used stock kit hardware to mount your gas tank, I'm sure you've noticed it leaves a lot to be desired.

One big problem is the gas tank likes to rotate around sideways on the cross bar, if it's not attached tight enough. Some of the stock brackets aren't even strong enough to stop it from happening, and for a reason.

When you use a bracket strong enough to hold the tank in place, vibration tends to pull the mounting studs out of the bottom of the tank at the welds, usually resulting in a leaky gas tank.

Here's an alternative mounting method I've been testing for over a hundred miles now with great results. I need to caution though that my frame doesn't have a round tube cross bar. It's kind of 6 sided with long flat sides, compared to the top and bottom. If yours is round, you'll need to think about it a little more. You still might be able to use this method under some conditions.

It doesn't cost much to try. Total parts required is 2 hockey pucks, and 2 wire ties. If you want to get fancy, add electrical tape, but not really required.

Special tools I used were a contour gauge, and a band saw with a skinny metal cutting blade. If you don't have a band saw at your disposable, then a inexpensive coping saw would get the job done.

I used the contour gauge to make 2 patterns out of cardboard. one shaped like the bottom gas tank, and one shaped like a cross section of the frame cross tube. This is how it looks.

The hockey puck is attached to the gas tank, by drilling small diameter holes straight into the puck, and then jamming the studs down into the puck. In the picture you can see an outline of the stud drawn on the puck to help guide the drilling operation, which consisted of using a hand drill, and just eyeballing it.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To attach the wire tie to the puck, I used a small screwdriver heated to red hot, and melted through the bottom of the puck. Then pull the tie tight.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I thought about using glue to hold the tank studs in the puck, but I decided to try it without and see what happens. So far the tank hasn't moved in any way. The holes I drilled into the puck were a pretty tight fit. If you end up drilling them a little too big, glue would probably work fine.

As far as the tank holding overall, it hasn't moved, and hasn't caused any concerns whatsoever. I have bumped it a few times with my knee while peddling, without causing any displacement.

Vibration isn't transmitted through the puck, to the gas tank as much as when it's solid mounted on the cross bar.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My friend Bruce cut the pucks for me with his band saw, following my patterns. If you look closely you can see my pattern wasn't all that accurate, because it had straight sides. I didn't realize when I made the pattern that the sides of the cross bar slightly tapered in at the bottom.Even so the slight inaccuracy didn't make any difference, so I don't feel the puck has to be perfect.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
This is one of the nicest tank mounts I have seen yet. What a great set-up Biknut Thank You so much for sharing with us.

Two Thumbs Up (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Biknut always offers some good information that can help eliminate problems, especially for the beginner. His tank mounting method will certainly help some folks but just a suggestion to those who don't have access to a band saw or hocky pucks here's an idea that might help keep that kit supplied tank in place.

I used to suggest using a double sided tape. I liked the cushioned type but others use the thinner stuff. Recently I found a product that works amazingly well. Unfortunately I don't have a name or brand name for it but any place that installs automotive glass will be able to provide the material. It is the rubber-like stuff that is used to seat glass in window channels. It comes on a roll, is 2" wide, about 1/8" inch thick and has an adhesive that is activated by mineral spirits or even WD-40.
Once applied and moistened with a solvent it turns sort of gooey and adheres well. I'm using it currently on a temporary fuel tank installation on a Nirve Switchblade. The tank is being held to the weird shaped top bar almost exclusevily by the window tape stuff and it hasn't moved even a little. The stock mounting hardware is there but not really tight or holding much. I'll research a little and see if I can find a name for the stuff.

Thanks Biknut for your suggestion. I'm sure many will benefit from it.
Tom

EDIT: It's called 'Window Setting Tape' . http://www.stanpro.com/rgstape.aspx
Any automotive glass shop should have it.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks Tom. I think you're on to something about double sided tape. I've seen it at Home Depot made by 3M. I have some concerns about using the method I described above on a round cross bar. Using double sided tape might make a hockey puck more secure on a round cross bar, if it turns out to be a problem.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Biknut always offers some good information that can help eliminate problems, especially for the beginner. His tank mounting method will certainly help some folks but just a suggestion to those who don't have access to a band saw or hocky pucks here's an idea that might help keep that kit supplied tank in place.

I used to suggest using a double sided tape. I liked the cushioned type but others use the thinner stuff. Recently I found a product that works amazingly well. Unfortunately I don't have a name or brand name for it but any place that installs automotive glass will be able to provide the material. It is the rubber-like stuff that is used to seat glass in window channels. It comes on a roll, is 2" wide, about 1/8" inch thick and has an adhesive that is activated by mineral spirits or even WD-40.
Once applied and moistened with a solvent it turns sort of gooey and adheres well. I'm using it currently on a temporary fuel tank installation on a Nirve Switchblade. The tank is being held to the weird shaped top bar almost exclusevily by the window tape stuff and it hasn't moved even a little. The stock mounting hardware is there but not really tight or holding much. I'll research a little and see if I can find a name for the stuff.

Thanks Biknut for your suggestion. I'm sure many will benefit from it.
Tom

EDIT: It's called 'Window Setting Tape' . http://www.stanpro.com/rgstape.aspx
Any automotive glass shop should have it.
just a guess- might be Butylnitrate?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
just a guess- might be Butylnitrate?
Dog,
I don't know what it's made of but the link in my earlier post shows the suff.
Since I made that post I remounted a tank on a friend's bike with it and it's worked well. You can loosen, even remove the nuts on the tank studs and the tank stays put. (I wouldn't recommend running like that for long) The nice thing is if you really need to remove the tank it will pop loose with just a little effort and there's no gooy residue like there is with the double sided tape I've used in the past.
Any auto glass shop will have it and they might just give you a piece, 6 or 8", which is more than enough to mount a tank.
Tom

Last edited:

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Dog,
I don't know what it's made of but the link in my earlier post shows the suff.
Since I made that post I remounted a tank on a friend's bike with it and it's worked well. You can loosen, even remove the nuts on the tank studs and the tank stays put. (I wouldn't recommend running like that for long) The nice thing is if you really need to remove the tank it will pop loose with just a little effort and there's no gooy residue like there is with the double sided tape I've used in the past.
Any auto glass shop will have it and they might just give you a piece, 6 or 8", which is more than enough to mount a tank.
Tom
Thanks tom

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Great idea. I use thick double sided mounting tape to cusion and hold the tank. So far so good after 500 miles.