Florida Law Progress

GoldenMotor.com

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
I just called the Florida Legislation Administrative office to talk to Steven Fielder. He is the head of the Legislative Affairs (legislative and budgetary issues) portion of the DMV. It took great string pulling to get in contact with this guy, but I was able to do it. He works directly with the Senators of the state on all issues pertaining transportation. The last word I got from him in late November or so, is that the Senators only had one problem with allowing the gas motor bikes to ride in the state. That issue turned out to be” they didn’t want to be on a bicycle trail enjoying a peaceful ride and then get passed by a gas powered bicycle” I referred him to the Florida state statue 316.1995 which we both know prohibits anything other than human powered on sidewalks and bicycle paths. Once I armed him with that information, he was more than certain that there shouldn’t be any problems getting it passed, but anything can happen before now and then. The change to allow the gas bikes would be nothing more than removing the word “electric” from the definition of a bicycle. Very ingenious. No other law would need to be put in place. This change will be part of a bigger transportation bill that is being submitted. He told me that he knows how the Senators work out issues and for me to go to the press would be a bad thing. He told me that if he can get them to feel comfortable with the idea then it would bury itself in the bill and be forgotten. Steven has been on our side from the beginning and will do everything he can do get it passed. Turns out he is a big alternate fuel nut. He wants to see all kinds of alternate fueled vehicles on Florida roads. Our bikes fall right in to that class. If I don’t hear back from him by Friday I am going to call him on Monday. When I get that bill number I will surely spread it out for all to see. Till next time..

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thank you again Jeff for your efforts.

Changing the law will be a great plus for all FL MB enthusiasts!

I am looking forward to it.

PS - I didn't hear back from you so I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your other news.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Don't mean to burst the bubble of Floridian's on motorized bicycles. But we got that up here in New York of Electric being removed from the DMV State regs. This leaving one point behind, All Motoized Assisted Bicycle can only be driven on one's own Private Property. New York DMV on Motorized Assisted Bicycle.

Course under DMV Inspection Stations Regs, Electric Wheel Chairs and 2-cycle engines are exempt of emmissions testing. But by speaking to you in word, nothing on paper, They'll say Electric Motorized Bicycles are legal to drive beside the road. But without it stated in the DMV Regs, it is someting you can end up in a court of Law with. Myself, I wouldn't mind being able to register them. At lease us up here in New York it would allow us to use them for runs to the store and such. If they leave loop holes, unspecified, give some of those bad guys out their to play games in your financial well being! Eitherway, just a heads up in the case of heading them off at the pass....I should add, under the Federal ~ DOJ, Under that heading of Handicapped, it is not allowed to use bias in that of Electric or Gasoline powered motors. Yet here in New York they are overriding both in the point for even the handicapped in the use of motorized bicycles.

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.flg.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
The below dmv document has proven its worth in court. Carry this around and this court number, you'll be fine. If they wanna put up a fight still, tell them to call the head dmv office and find out for themselves. They need to stop bulling us around. They should do their research instead of asking their superior. Their superior isn't the one who decides its the dmv, judges(lawmakers), etc.
My case #: 11000162CTMA
I never did get a ending court document.
Charges: Operate veh w/o valid license

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sSEpxMYBxpxfBwpo6tP4QVHCRi9_K64ldufH8oomgTs/edit

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I emailed the information office and the guy there kept telling me, it must be registered for use on roads...

So then I called their local "tag office" and the Head supervisor there told me, they won't register a bicycle with a gas motor on it as a moped...

I emailed the information office again with that information and they emailed me back to say....
"We don't register 'conveyances' here, we only follow state laws..

So I emailed back and said, the DMV won't register one as a moped and that you say I must register, to be legal.. So which one of your offices is correct? The DMV or you guys?

The answer back was...

"We have no more information for you.."
LOL...

So I emailed again and said, "If you want, I can call the tag office and your office and conference everyone together and figure this out..."

No response after that.. (Go figure)

So I got the email of that information office's supervisor and sent a copy of the full correspondence between their office and the DMV office and me...
(This was finally about 5:30pm)

So I'll find out tomorrow what the "Boss'" read on the entire situation is..

@WorkmansFL...
What exactly did you say (on the phone) to The Information Officer and what did he say?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I emailed the information office and the guy there kept telling me, it must be registered for use on roads...

So then I called their local "tag office" and the Head supervisor there told me, they won't register a bicycle with a gas motor on it as a moped...

I emailed the information office again with that information and they emailed me back to say....
"We don't register 'conveyances' here, we only follow state laws..

So I emailed back and said, the DMV won't register one as a moped and that you say I must register, to be legal.. So which one of your offices is correct? The DMV or you guys?

The answer back was...

"We have no more information for you.."
LOL...

So I emailed again and said, "If you want, I can call the tag office and your office and conference everyone together and figure this out..."

No response after that.. (Go figure)

So I got the email of that information office's supervisor and sent a copy of the full correspondence between their office and the DMV office and me...
(This was finally about 5:30pm)

So I'll find out tomorrow what the "Boss'" read on the entire situation is..

@WorkmansFL...
What exactly did you say (on the phone) to The Information Officer and what did he say?
Please see other thread for the answer to you question.