Whizzer speedo black

GoldenMotor.com
Hi,

The early speedo [black plastic] used on the 99 model doesn't do well. I have thrown away about 20 of them. They are plastic and the insides fall apart due to the motor vibration. The needle falls off on many of them. Most stopped working in less than 500 miles.

Sadly I still have several in stock, but am to ashamed to sell them to anyone. When Whizzer offered them to me as a close out special, I took a pass. You would be much better off to purchase a "vintage" bicycle speedometer on Ebay as at least they will hold up much better.

The later versions are much better and are made from metal, not plastic. Of course the "good" ones are hard to find. There were 2 versions of the metal cased speedometer, one had a black face and the other has a white face. Both metal versions hold up well.
The metal versions are very accurate, whereas the plastic version is very optimistic [off by at least 15%].

If you don't care if they work and only care about "looks" then the $30.00 price is good. You can use the original new edition Whizzer cable and wheel drive or find the drive unit from a Schwinn 26" speedometer [same ratio].
Have fun,

Flexcobra

Dec 30, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for the info. So the "good ones" are hard to find. Where would I look to find one of the "good ones"? I am also looking for a 4 stroke q-matic kit. Where would you suggest I purchase the complete kit from? Thanks, Rick.

Hi,

The early speedo [black plastic] used on the 99 model doesn't do well. I have thrown away about 20 of them. They are plastic and the insides fall apart due to the motor vibration. The needle falls off on many of them. Most stopped working in less than 500 miles.

Sadly I still have several in stock, but am to ashamed to sell them to anyone. When Whizzer offered them to me as a close out special, I took a pass. You would be much better off to purchase a "vintage" bicycle speedometer on Ebay as at least they will hold up much better.

The later versions are much better and are made from metal, not plastic. Of course the "good" ones are hard to find. There were 2 versions of the metal cased speedometer, one had a black face and the other has a white face. Both metal versions hold up well.
The metal versions are very accurate, whereas the plastic version is very optimistic [off by at least 15%].

If you don't care if they work and only care about "looks" then the $30.00 price is good. You can use the original new edition Whizzer cable and wheel drive or find the drive unit from a Schwinn 26" speedometer [same ratio].
Have fun,

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I bought the new addition chrome with white face matching tack & speedo from Whizzer USA.
The plastic wheel drive will not clip to the Phil Wood hub with a disc brake to good. The cable is fussy about it's angle too.
I still haven't hooked up the tack. So much for form and function
Looks great but I'm getting no info from these things at all.

Hi Rick,

You might try Whizzer USA, but they are currently difficult to contact. Be careful about ordering a matching tachometer as the later versions don't work on motors with analog ignition systems.

You can also try Mike [same site as the $30.00 black plastic Whizzer version] to see if he has the later metal version. if you don't have any luck, contact me via PM or email. My email address is [email protected]

You are also welcome to PM, call, or email me about where to obtain the EZM/Q-Matic motor kit.

Please note, many of the sponsers of this site are Authorized EZ Motobike dealers, might check out some of their ads.

Have fun,

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Sorry for getting off topic here but how can I tell if I have an analog ignition?
I thought I had CDI ingnitions. Something tells me the "D" might be for digital. Just a hunch.

Last edited:
Only the very late edition Whizzers used the digital tachometer [CDI is also digital]. Sadly tthe majority of the tachometers currently in stock are the digital version. A large majority currently for sale were "take-offs" from the Ambassador II that were parted out. I would guess any ordered from Taiwan would be digital, as would most of Whizzer USA stock. All 2008 & later NE-r and Ambassador II models used the digital tachometer.

All models from 1999 to 2007 used and analog CDI and Analog tachometer. There were 3 versions of the analog tachometer, a plastic version [mate to the black plastic speedometer mentioned in this post], a metal cased unit with a dark face [mate to the metal black faced speedometer], and the metal cased white face [mate to the metal cased white faced speedometer].

Only one digital tackometer, and it is metal cased with a white face.

Bad News! No way to tell the difference between the digital and the white face analog version.
If you connect a digital Whizzer tachometer to an earlier analog system it just won't work correctly, and will be obvious. Some just act completely dead, while others will produce extreme readings at idle [6000 at idle, etc].

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I just checked mine with a magnet. The speedo and tack are both metal chrome cases with white faces. Now if I knew what ingntion I had I whould know if it would be worth the bother to try to wire the tack. I think I have instructions for that somewhere.
The plastic drive wheel with the Phil hub is going to be another challange for the speedo.
It does not want to clip together or onto the hub.
Are the analog and digital ingnitions interchangeable? How can you tell them apart?
My other bike is a 1999 Cruzer I think. Stock set up wth a plastic chrome case and a black face. still works good with 1012 miles on it. It has a metal drive wheel. No tack.