Virginia Moped (Motorized Bike) Regulations

GoldenMotor.com

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Yeah this law is so ambiguous it's ridiculous. It's going to end up costing as much to license it as it is to build it. I think that us VA motorbikers should find a receptive state senator to sponsor a change to that bill.
If you think registering your MB is expensive just wait until you find out how much a State Senator cost! :eek:

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
I agree, the regs needs to be cleared up. Ideally I think we can all agree that no tag would be required, but in the long run I'd like to feel comfortable (by being "legal") whether it's with a tag or not. Now who knows a state politician that's not going to jail?

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Thanks for the info Barnfresh. *There's the rub though, I printed and filled out Form VSA-12M, they looked at it and STILL didn't know what to do. *I had the two-page titling document, the VSA-12M form, PLUS another form they gave me on my first trip to the DMV that I got notorized which explained why I didn't have a title! *Plus the sales receipt and a photo of the bike!!
Could be you inadvertently over complicated things. My suggestion would be to start over at a different DMV using a different approach (mindset). Tell yourself, I'm going to the DMV to register my Moped because even though I have been riding it for years the new law says I have to register it.

At the DMV don't use terms like "motorized bicycle", motor or power assist and don't say anything about "custom built" or building it yourself from a bicycle and engine kit. The "system" that was hurriedly put in place for the DMV to process the new Moped registration law was not designed to accommodate our motorized bicycles.

Keep it simple, even dumb it down to something along these lines.

> Hi I'm here because I heard the law changed and now I'm supposed to register my old moped so I can continue riding it.

> My ownership document? Uh...my uncle gave it to me when he gave me the moped back in 1977 but I can't seem to find it now. (hint: 1977 was a good year for mopeds).

> Complete the VSA-12M form simply stating "Lost".

> Complete the VSA 31 form.

> if asked to complete any other forms fill them out but remember to follow your " mindset".

With a little luck the "system" will accept and process everything the clerk enters and you'll walk away with a plate. If not keep trying. Try another clerk, another approach, a different DMV but don't give up, keep trying!

I've found that nothing that you are trying to accomplish at the DMV in order to drive or ride legally is impossible. It just requires determination, persistence and patience (lots of patience) and it helps a lot when your working with a clerk who feels likewise, knows their "system" and is up for the challenge.

Keep in mind that the "system" will only accept and process the information that it was designed or engineered to process. The DMV clerk cannot force the "system" to accept or process data nor does she have a magic override button.

Read the VIN Wiki link below and you'll see how much data would have to be written into the "system" in order to accommodate every make, year & model moped. This is probably why most dead ends we're reading about here pertain to VIN numbers. When the clerk says sorry cant help you your moped doesn't have a VIN number, what she is really saying is the "system" doesn't recognize the number entered as a VIN number "formatted" for the year model that you gave her. Notice in the link below that VIN numbers weren't used prior to 1954 and up until 1981 there were no accepted standard for VIN numbers so different manufacturers used different formats.

Common sense would tell you the "system" knows this and shouldn't reject any VIN number for older mopeds due to how it is formatted.

Good luck and I hope this helps everyone get their old moped registered!

DMV will not require/collect the following for mopeds:
Electric vehicle fee
Insurance
Odometer reading
Safety inspection
Sales and use tax

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

dnut

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Last edited:

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Hello, A few days ago i met a moto builder we talk and everything and he showd a pic of hes motobike, Also we was talking about laws ect around here, But im looking to find about motorized bicycle laws in va and guess what, he showd me a paper with it but i cant find it on dmv website may someone help me thanks.