lube needed?

GoldenMotor.com

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
I just bought a brand new engine and hooked it up to my bike and nothing seemed wrong, except that the engine barely turned over when i released the clutch, the chain was turning, but the engine wasnt, the engine is brand new and has never been run (that in itself may be part of the problem), so what should i do to get it running?lube? oil? ive never encountered anything like this with a brand new engine before

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help if we knew what kind of engine you have. 2 stroke? 4 stroke?
2 stroke engines require oil but it must be mixed with the fuel.
4 stroke engines have crankcases and require oil to be added.

If you have an in-frame 2 stroke and releasing the clutch doesn't engage the engine then you might have the clutch cable adjusted too tight.
Get back to us with a little more information.
Tom

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
I have a two stroke, ive had one before, but it started right up the first time i used it and didnt have issues for years, this one will barely budge when the clutch is released, what are some steps i should take to make it move? as i said, ive never had this problem with any other bike engine

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
On many new engines I have had to adjust the flower nut on the clutch, sounds to me from what you describe the clutch is slipping maybe?

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
the clutch is slipping big time, i tried adjusting the flower nut, but with the same results, also, the clutch gets very hot every time i attempt to start it