Dropout Drama

GoldenMotor.com

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
OK, so here is what is going on with my dropout (right side). I've taken the rear wheel off several times over the past month or so and I let the washers get beyond their usefulness. I've read some of the advice on the forums and it looks like I'll put star washers closest in, followed by flat furthest out on either side of each dropout and change them every time the rear wheel is taken off.

However, right now, my right side dropout has widened on my Schwinn Legacy BC and I need to squeeze it so the opening is more narrowed; back to the way it was. I've only go a basic set of hand tools and a limited budget. I'm thinking I'll get a large C-clamp to do the job.

Any thoughts, advice or comments are welcomed.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
remeber you will need to move them back one at a time to their original positions , its just like pulling a frame on a car or you will missalign the rear end find away to firmly hold the bike in a strudy vice an maybe use a ratchet strap anchored to something sturdy an pull them one at a time taking measurements along the way just squeezing them back could in fact just bend one to a new position with out the other folowing.
Gary