Looking for a trike gotta have a trike ect

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
After my rather serious accident on my motor bike, I have kinda agree to ride a trike, or at least the stabilized bike. That being the case, I have been keeping my eye out for a trike to motorize.

If you know me at all, you know I build with thrift store bikes. So you can imagine my sticker shock at the price of trikes. I know most of you would think nothing of dropping almost three bills on a wal mart Schwinn trike. Probably even go more than that for a better quality one.

In my case I have been lurking on Craig's list hoping for a deal. So today bright and early, wife and I drove down to the other end of town to look at a garage sale with an adult trike. The guy wouldn't put a price in the ad. nor did he put an email or a phone number.

When we got there, after a ridiculously difficult time finding him, I found that it was a Miami Sun trike. He was asking 250 for it and I'm sure it would be worth it to most people. But since I am going to hack it up for a motorized version, it's a little more than I want to spend. Actually it's twice what I want to spend. If I were willing to go with that price, I think I would buy the meridian with the short warrantee anyway. plus it would come in a box so that I could get it into the car.

Anyway, I didn't buy it. Oh yeah it had a sign that said the trick sold retail from 400 to 800 dollars. I don't know that kind of thing just hit me strange. that is quite a range for the same trike.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did look at that but by the time i paid shipping and bought wheels and various other things it would cost as much as the Walmart trike. It its an ingenious idea though.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Deacon,
Trikes are fun...especially tadpole trikes. I've had 2 but they were unmotorized. They aint cheap though.
Windcheetah & Greenspeed.
-Lowracer-

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I bought a trike today. My son in law is delivering it in an hour or so. Then the fun begins.

I ended up with the Miami sun trike. So far the down side is just one front caliper brake. That is going to need some rethinking. Since there is no rear brake, the motor can not go on the front. Unless I rig a front coaster brake or a drum brake wheel up there.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
who would have thunk it. riding a tricycle is not at all like riding a bike. Now I know why the stabilizer didn't work. You don't shift your weight when you have more than two wheels.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since i have over a half dozen bicycle forks of all sizes laying around, I found one 24inches with a good wheel and tire. I put the motor and then a set of caliper type hand brakes on the fork. I put the brakes on the rear of the fork and the motor on the front. I had no real choice since the front brake are the only one at this time. I do not like a motor bike with only one brake especially one I had ro rig, so I will be looking for a way to add a brake to the rear. It can be a lever emergency brake, only to be used if the front brake fails and i get a runaway situation.

I am going to switch the front forks today and see how it does. I am going to keep the handle bars with the forks that were on the trike just in case I ever want to go back to it. Fender and all. I am going with a 30 cc weed whacker motor. Just enough power to add some help on the big hills around here.

Another issue with this trike is the front chain ring is small. i think I might have to add a larger ring if I want to get any exercise with the trike. I think, as it sits now, the trike will almost have to be stopped to catch the freewheel.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the new forks on that was the simple part. Getting all the cables run and the adjustment's made was difficult but it works I know. I can't ride it but I did test it in the driveway and the motor started and everything seems to work just fine. I do miss coaster brakes though.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Get a dual pull brake lever for the back wheels. Weld some "V" brake studs on an arm. Then you would have brakes to all the wheels. I can't remember exactly how I planned it out for the trike I had. But it was something like that.

Terry

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have got to do something for sure. I think this trike is aluminum but i'm not sure. i guess I'm going to have to take a refrigerator magnet out back and check on that. There are lots of weird pieces of metal here and there I can attach arms to. I'm thinking I just need one for emergencies. I'm going to keep that in mind as well.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This one is steel or some alloy since the refrigerator magnet stuck but it is no tank. Very light weight. It does have dual braces behind the seat which look as though they will support a bar to hang a couple of brake parts onto, so that is a good thing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since I had the parts laying around the shop, I put a single brake on the left side of the rear. It isn't quite useless but ti doesn't stop the bike but it probably would in a mile or two. The front brake works pretty good though. I got the motor started in the driveway and I'm sure it's going to do fine for a while at least.

The 2.5 hp ilfan I have would pull the bike over the locked wheel, but this little motor just chokes off which is a good thing. So if I get to an emergency I just need to lock the brakes and kill the throttle and it will stop. My guess right now is that top end will be something around 20mph which is plenty for me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So tell me trike people can i gut a regular bicycle wheel and put it on the trike or does it need to be a wheel designed for a tricycle.

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
west side of canada on a rock
Trike wheels for the back do need trike specific hubs to mount to the axle, but you can lace any wheel to the hubs you have with the correct spoke length. For the rear brake you could use a strap brake or a disc brake mounted to the rear axle.

I've seen this kind of brake set up on line for 10-15$

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I drilled a hole through the bike from to add a lift lever and cable to use as a clutch. While I was at it I added a brake on the rear and a hand lever for that as well. Just as an emergency brake. I think the front brake will be fine but i always like to have a second one at least

Last edited: