Tell Me Your State Laws On Our Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I need to gather information on motorized bicycle laws in as many states as possible. Again, please keep discussions down. Just information on the laws. No information on scooters or mopeds, unless motorized bicycles are included. But, electric bikes are included in what I want.

Thanks!

Terry

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
MA just redefined the statues in July, 2009 creating 3 classes of two wheeled vehicles, IE: 1. mopeds/MBs, 2. scooters and 3. motorcycles. They added the 3rd class for scooters, no pedals and top speed of 40 mph and to my mind it made it better for MBs.
No plates, insurance or inspection, just a simple form and $40 for a 2 year sticker affixed on the rear of the bike.

According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:​

• Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
  • Have an automatic transmission.
  • Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
  • Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.
A moped sticker, issued by the RMV, must be affixed to the moped. This sticker will not be issued unless the vehicle meets the above requirements.
Operating Requirements

Moped operators are subject to the traffic laws, rules and regulations of the Commonwealth.
Mopeds will have the right to use all public ways in the Commonwealth, except limited access or express state highways where signs prohibiting bicycles have been posted.
Mopeds may use bicycle lanes next to various ways but are excluded from off street recreational paths.
Moped operators must signal their intention to stop or turn by using either hand.
Mopeds may keep right when passing a motor vehicle which is in the travel lane of a way.
Restrictions When Operating a Moped

Mopeds will not be operated:

• By any person under 16 years of age.
  • By any person who does not have a valid license or permit.
  • At a speed greater than 25 miles per hour.
  • Without the operator and any passenger wearing a DOT standard helmet.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/7moped.htm

Last edited:

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
---- MAINE ----

Here I have summarized the most applicable laws I know of, referenced with statute numbers, and where you see the "***" my comments follow: BTW I am a 16 year veteran cop currently sworn in Maine and commute to work on my offroad-capable, 4-stroke, 49cc Dax Super-Titan powered, full-suspension Diamond Back mountain bike with SBP shifter kit. It kicks ass even in construction zones and gets me around during rush-hour way faster than my truck and at an expense of about $1.60 of fuel per week!

29-A § 101: SOME DEFINITIONS:
"Motorcycle" means ANY bike or trike that has a cylinder capacity of greater than 50ccs or electric motor of greater than 1,500 watts. ***Yup, in Maine, you guys with the beautifully restored classic Schwinn beach cruisers equipped with the 80cc two-strokers that putt along at 15mph are riding a MOTORCYCLE- hope you have the proper driver’s license…

"Motorized bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that:
A. May have pedals to permit human propulsion; and
B. Has a motor attached to a wheel that is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower and has a cylinder capacity capable of propelling the vehicle unassisted at a speed of 25 miles per hour or less on a level road surface. *** Interesting that according to state law a motorized bicycle does NOT have to have pedals. See further down for comment about speed enforcement.

"Moped" means a motorized bike or trike that has a cylinder capacity of LESS than 50ccs or an electric motor of less than 1,500 watts, and “has a power drive system that functions only directly or automatically and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.” (Strangely) a bike or trike does NOT have to have pedals to be classified as a moped. ***The language regarding “function” of the power drive system is exceedingly vague as is what is meant by the term “engaged,” e.g.: shifting gears cannot occur while an engine is engaged and clutching, by definition, disengages the engine from the drive train!

*** Remember too, anywhere in the USA Officers must have "reasonable articulable suspicion" that you are committing a violation BEFORE stopping you to investigate/confirm that particular suspicion. I can promise you, then, that cops in Maine will not be stopping you just to measure your cylinder capacity nor do they truly care about your engine horsepower (though blazing up hill at 40+ might be a clue). Second, the "motor attached to a wheel" language in “motorized bicycle” really only describes friction-drive bikes, and since the "Motorcycle" definition pertains only to bikes with engines greater than 50cc's and “Moped” just has some paradoxical garbled text about shifting makes the distinguishing line between a “motorized bike” and a “moped” very blurry: either all chain or belt-driven motorized bicycles are “mopeds” or they are outside of classification altogether (Notice too that “speed capability” is not a defining feature of what makes a vehicle a “moped.”). Some officers, however, could/may determine that a non-friction drive-configuration to be a moped anyway. See last paragraph for comment on that.

More Laws:
Operator of a motorized bicycle MUST have a driver's license... but does NOT need a special moped/motorcycle endorsement. (29-A § 1254)

Motorized Bicycles MAY travel on paved shoulders (this would include bike lanes, etc.) but do not always HAVE to. (29-A § 2063)

Bicycles (motorized or not) can pass vehicles on the right “at [their] own risk.” (29-A § 2070) ***You should indeed be looking for and expecting ALL drivers will make a sudden right-turn in front of you or pull out of angled parking spaces and pedestrians like to pop right out from between cars so be careful!

"Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle not operated exclusively on tracks but does not include... snowmobiles, ATVs or wheelchairs. (29-A § 101) *** Because motorized bicycles are not ENTIRELY "self-propelled" there is an implication they are not classified as “motor vehicles”… meaning an argument can be made that MBs are not subject to, for example, trail signs that state "No Motor Vehicles." Either way it is a gray area that can be discussed with any officer contacting you in response to a complaint. Again, just be respectful.

"Bikeway" means a vehicle way, paved or unpaved, upon which bicycles, unicycles or other vehicles propelled by human power may be pedaled. A bikeway is for use primarily by bicyclists and pedestrians. (29-A § 2322) ***While this may seem to contradict my comment in the previous paragraph one COULD argue that motorized bicycles are ALSO human-powered and the operative words in that definition is “MAY be pedaled,” and “for use PRIMARILY by bicyclists” which leaves room for locomotion devices that are not BEING pedaled. Some bikeways exist because the adjacent roads are way too dangerous for bicycles; motorized or not. My advice would be to ALWAYS go slow around pedestrians (and their dogs) be VERY respectful of cyclists and NEVER let anyone see you NOT pedaling!!

While there is no STATE law in Maine prohibiting biking on the sidewalk (motored or not) there are many cities/towns in Maine that have local ordinances against it. I would not recommend it anyway: any fall or collision, particularly with a pedestrian, that requires emergency medical response will be the #1 cause for your having potentially negative contact with the police.

Motorized bicycles are exempt from INSPECTION. (29-A § 1752)

A motorcycle or a moped with an engine displacement of less than 300 cubic centimeters does not need to be registered with the state. (29-A § 652) *** "Motorized bicycles" are not mentioned in this statute but is implied that ANY vehicle of <300ccs is exempt.

A motorized bicycle or motorized scooter may not be operated in excess of 20 miles per hour. (29-A § 2063) *** Fist off, unless your bike is the only vehicle moving within ½ mile it would not be easy for an officer to pick up a bicycle on RADAR and because the profile of your bike is skinny and you & your bike have few flat, reflective surfaces, it would be challenging for laser operators as well. Secondly, again, it is questionable whether bicycles with motors of CHAIN or BELT drives are subject to this limit because only bicycles with engines "attached" to the wheel are classified as "Motorized Bicycles." Then again, if the officer makes the call that your machine is a “moped” you may have issues bigger than a “speeding” violation. The likeliness of this even occurring is absurd, but if it does than just be respectful: the officer, who must have UNBELIEVABLY sharp knowledge of state statute by the way, is just doing his job. The officer CAN choose to give a verbal warning, but he could also ARREST you & impound your bike if you provide him motivation.

Night-time riders must have electric headlight, rear reflector or electric tail light (both visible for 200+ feet) and must have reflective materials on PEDALS and/or ANKLES. (29-A § 2084)

Godda have brakes that can stop you in "reasonable distance." (29-A § 2084)

*** In conclusion: there is some gray area about what actually classifies what as what, but Patrol Officers most often make their decision based on what the vehicle LOOKS like: Mopeds look like mopeds= crappy, wannabe motorcycles with completely useless pedals. Motorized bicycles look like bicycles (with justa lil’ somethin’ special) and will typically be treated as bicycles. If by some incredibly unlikely instance you are stopped by the police just be respectful. 98% of the time it is not our offenses but our MOUTHS that wind us up in trouble with law enforcement! I don’t worry about us MB enthusiasts, we tend to have a far less abrasive attitude than the elitist road-bikers but try to restrain your claims about your civil rights because, here in Maine, the officer’s action DOES have legal justification under (the poorly written) statute. Far more likely, however, the officer will be contacting you just in passing and will be interested and/or even impressed with your machine!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Seems in mass HTs with manual clutches arent legal or dont fall under MB rules.
no they do. you are alowed to use a clutch to engage the engine but not to be used when riding. like to change a gear.
the reasoning is that an unskilled person can use it.
shifting gears and clutching is considered a motorcycle skill.

a jack shaft & derailer would be considered illegal.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
It's a gray area deco, you're right about the jackshaft and a manual clutch with lever could have a case made against it as well. There were a lot of mopeds and small scooters that just use a centri clutch.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i think using an nuvinci hub is gray area. it doesn't have gears. doesn't need to be clutched. it does need to have manual control.
the nuvinci dev can select its ratios with out driver interference so tat would be legal.a normal internally geared hub would be a stealthy illegal.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Co law 2009

Released September 29,2009. Current Information Available at Low-Power Scooter

The following is effective October 1, 2009:

Creates a definition for Low-power Scooter 42-1-102(48.5)
Self-propelled vehicle designed primarily for use on the roadways with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, no manual clutch, and either of the following:
A cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters if powered by internal combustion; or
A wattage not exceeding four thousand four hundred seventy six if powered by electricity.
Low-power scooter shall not include a toy vehicle, bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, wheelchair, or any device designed to assist mobility-impaired people who use pedestrian rights-of-way.
Creates a definition for Electrical Assisted Bicycle 42-1-102(28.5)
Vehicle having two tandem wheels or two parallel wheels and one forward wheel, fully operable pedals, an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power and a top motor powered speed of 20 mph.
Creates a definition for Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device (Segway) 42-1-102(28.7)
Self-balancing, nontandem two-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, that is powered solely by an electric propulsion system producing an average power output of no more than 750 watts.
Modifies the definition of toy vehicle to eliminate the wheel diameter and to exclude off-highway vehicles or snowmobiles 42-1-102(103.5).
Modifies the definition of vehicle to include an electrical assisted bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device 42-1-102(112).
Clarifies the definition of motorcycle to specify that it does not include low-power scooter 42-1-102(55).
Clarifies the definition of motor vehicle to specify that it does not include low-power scooter 42-1-102(58).
Deletes the definition of motor-driven cycle 42-1-102(56).
Deletes the definition of motorscooter and motorbicycle 42-1-102(59)(a) and motorized bicycle 42-1-102(59)(b).
Requires the operator of a low-power scooter to possess a valid driver's license.
Requires a low-power scooter to be registered by the Department of Revenue. Registration will be evidenced by a decal issued by the state office that is valid for three years.

The following is effective July 1, 2010:

Requires the low-power scooter owners to have insurance upon registration and pay the motorist insurance identification fee.
Allows Motor Vehicle Dealers or Used Motor Vehicle Dealers to act as an authorized agent of the department for the purposes of registering low-power scooters.
Requires the owner of a low-power scooter to have complying insurance to operate the low-power scooter.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
california, gas powered engine:

2 or 3 wheeled vehicle, functioning pedals, 2HP max, 30mph top speed, automatic clutch.

must have Headlight, taillight, brakelight, horn, left mirror.

$19 one time registration fee for plate and title.

No insurance required.

16 years and older.

Minimum M2 license required (M1 is motorcycle, M2 is scooter.)

DOT helmet.

i think that's it.

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
a jack shaft & derailer would be considered illegal.
Maybe not, deco, classification of vehicles based on multi-speeds usually has to do with function of the engine, not technique in how the overall bike is operated. Using the bike's derailleur to shift gears is a function of the bike, not the motor, and is independent of whether the motor is even running. If the motor is disengaged when shifting gears then is there a difference compared to shifting gears when under pedal-power only? Is a MB considered a "moped" when under human power? Is a moped just a big heavy bike when under human power? Admittedly I am not as familiar with how MA law is interpreted, but it is an interesting distinction.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
"Moped" means a motorized bike or trike that has a cylinder capacity of LESS than 50ccs or an electric motor of less than 1,500 watts, and “has a power drive system that functions only directly or automatically and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.”
after the drive system is engaged by using the clutch.
the clutch or manual shifting isn't allowed under engine power.
if the bike is under pedal power the clutch & jackshaft are not even in the equation.

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
after the drive system is engaged by using the clutch.
the clutch or manual shifting isn't allowed under engine power.
if the bike is under pedal power the clutch & jackshaft are not even in the equation.
Quite so, deco, however my comment after the part you quoted was that the wording of that law is flawed because shifting OUTSIDE of the engine cannot take place the way it does in, for example a scooter, where all the gearing changes occur in the motor. Gear changes using a jackshaft set NEVER take place WHILE the bike is under engine power, it is COASTING. MA law is strict I know, but that wording would not fly as is in ME.... Even ME law would probably not hold if tested in court.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have a different view. then i thought about why would i want to convince an officer to be more strict. (^)
so your view is A-OK in my book.

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
---- MAINE ----

A motorcycle or a moped with an engine displacement of less than 300 cubic centimeters does not need to be registered with the state. (29-A § 652)
Correction on that one in my earlier post, that law has to do with transfer of title.

The correction is that ME State Law law says that "vehicles" that move on a public way must be registered. However "Vehicle" is defined as a "self-propelled" device. I do not know of any motorized bicycles that do not involve pedaling in SOME capacity. I have questions pending with the Secretary of State's office on that and some others....

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I do not know of any motorized bicycles that do not involve pedaling in SOME capacity.
Aye, that's theres theres the rub and an issue, if it becomes one, with transmissions attached like shift kits and cvts. Don't get me wrong, I have one cvt design myself but on the one hand I see many on the MB forums touting never having to pedal even from a dead stop through the use of such devices.

IMO, the legal key is that a MAB, motor assisted bicycles, first retain the look of a bicycle rather than a motorcycle or scooter, retain well functioning pedals of course, and that any engine or motor assist be innocuous enough to appear unnecessary.