Gas line not filling

GoldenMotor.com

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
Hello,

My gas tank is semi-full but the gas will drain into the gas line. At the moment the gas in the gas line occupies 1/4 of the tubing and its only a matter of time before it goes out. I believe that there is air displacing a volume at the top of the tube that is not allowing gasoline to drain into it. However, I have no idea on how to fix it. I read around the forum and tried some troubleshooting (opening the gas cap, and checking petcock flow) to no avail. Oddly, the petcock will let gasoline flow when open and the gas line is disconnected. But once it's connected to the gas line, gasoline won't flow into the gas line. Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Try opening the drain screw on the bottom of your carb. If gas keeps flowing out, you don't have a problem.

It's normal for air to be trapped in the line, especialy with an in line filter. The gas trickels around the bubble and gets to the carb as needed . If the motor is not running to use up gas in the bowl or the drain is not opened, no gas will pass the bubble

Does it run OK?

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the reply Wayne. The motor runs well. I was just making sure it wasn't a problem that was eventually going to render the motor useless.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hello,

My gas tank is semi-full but the gas will drain into the gas line. At the moment the gas in the gas line occupies 1/4 of the tubing and its only a matter of time before it goes out. I believe that there is air displacing a volume at the top of the tube that is not allowing gasoline to drain into it. However, I have no idea on how to fix it. I read around the forum and tried some troubleshooting (opening the gas cap, and checking petcock flow) to no avail. Oddly, the petcock will let gasoline flow when open and the gas line is disconnected. But once it's connected to the gas line, gasoline won't flow into the gas line. Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated.
If you didn't clean out the inside of the tank before you installed it then your inline fuel filter is probably clogged and greatly reducing the flow of fuel. My tank had TONS of crap inside it when it was brand new. If thats the case you should drain the tank and clean it out, can rinse with gas (or water if you spend the time to dry it properly with a fan after) and use rags to get all that crap out of the tank. The fuel filter in the shut-off valve should be cleaned or replaced with the spare.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Try unscrewing the gas cap to see if it vents properly. If gas flows with the cap off, then the vent is plugged. I have a couple of tanks with caps that don't vent properly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Listen to Wayne Z.
The bubble will not effect fuel flow if everything you told us is accurate. That being that with the line disconnected you have good flow and that removing the tank's cap doesn't change things. If the engine starts and runs without a problem, then there is no problem.
It's a gravity flow fuel system and fuel wll only flow as fast as the engine can consume it. The size of the bubble you see will be effected by temperature and atmospheric pressure. Also, it isn't actually an air bubble but a void, or vapor bubble. That vapor being gasoline vapor, not air.
Go ride you bike and don't worry about the bubble. Have fun and ride safe. :)
Tom

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If the bubble bothers you replace the fuel line with one you can't see through. then you can wonder if it has a bubble, IT DON'T MATTER!!!!!.