turn signal lights for bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France
This might work with our bikes. Videos are at the bottom of the page.

Link below for turn signals

Wireless Bicycle Brake Light for Mountain Bikes, City Bike Carriers, and Dynamo Bicycles

For a brake light I use whats below:

The site seems to be down right now, I think they were impacted from the floods in Brisbane. I did purchase the Q-Lite (brake light) from them and have had no trouble with it on the bike. The light is activated by a small switch which is attached to the rear brake cable. The light also has 3 other modes: flash, multi flash & steady. I don't use any of the flashing or steady modes, strictly as a brake light. You can see a video of it on my bike at 3rd bike - YouTube

Here is the link to the site where I purchased the light from, hopefully they will get back up soon or maybe find it from somewhere else.

http://www.inertiacycles.com.au

Pete

Attachments

jon.karak

Apr 7, 2011
U.S.A.
Golden Motor has switches that look very similar to the picture. They will even handle up to 48v. Cost is $12. They are used on e-bikes but can be adapted to work.
Thanks Norm! It looks like the version in my picture reads "L-R" as in a single-pole, double-throw, center-off rocker switch. But the one you have reads "O -" as in a single-pole, single-throw rocker switch.

Clearly it is nearly identical design, but with different switches. :-( I might buy it just to see if I can modify it without breaking it. Or maybe I can track down the manufacturer and get the one with the L-R switch.

jon.karak

Apr 7, 2011
U.S.A.
I found another system (LED by Lite) that is just on the market. They had a booth at Interbike 2011 that was profiled by Bicycle Commuters. I'm not so hot for the wireless controller, especially for something safety-related like turn signals. But I think their weatherproof 12v LED lamps could be repurposed for a robust and attractive lighting system.

These are the LED Trailer Marker lights that I'm trying to build into my system:

They are rated for automotive use, weatherproof, can run at 6v (low intensity) and 12v (high intensity). This provides me the option to operate them as running lights, as well as turn signals. A little larger than my thumb, they are light as a feather and offer decent diffusion for good visibility all around.

Last edited:

jhammondcpa

Apr 17, 2014
Maryland
I agree with your traffic comments and turn signals would be a great help! I am currently using a 12v 7amp battery to power twin LED headlights and 9 bulb LED tail light. I can ride several hours without ever drawing the battery down to less than 12v. Although 6v is coming off the engine, it looks like my 12V would work with yours. I'll be anxious to see the progress and product!

jhammondcpa

Apr 17, 2014
Maryland
I put the LED twin head lights, the 9 light LED tail light and Vespa horn on a12v 7.2 amp garden tractor battery, with individual switches for the HL and TL. The pictures I have posted show the results although the battery is hidden beneath the rear bike rack and I didn't show the Vespa horn which is just ahead of the engine on the down tube. I mounted a push button for the horn on the handle bars next to the clutch assembly. I don't have turn signals or a brake light, but I have everything needed for a license tag in Maryland.