why to not use a slant head...

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Alright folks, here it is, I was reading the performance tuning book by Alexander Graham Bell, and I have the scoop, from his own mouth, on why a straight plug engine is almost ALWAYS better than an angle plug for performance. He writes "Quiescent chamber with offset spark plug end gases detonate." To translate the words of this Confucius of two strokes this means that when your plug is angled so it is to one side of the dome, it takes longer for the gases on the farthest side to detonate, so there is uneven detonation. What he says about the straight plug is "squish chamber with central spark plug ignition flame advances smoothly." This smooth advancing of the flame kernel means a more even burn and a more rapid and efficient use of the energy in the fuel. If you do choose to use a slant head you should NOT point the plug toward the carb side of the engine, this CAN lower performance and create hot spots. It is best to have the plug facing toward the exhaust so the flame kernel is directed toward leaving the engine. He does not recommend an angle plug, nor do I. Stick with the straight plug if it fits, if you need to use the angle remember, face it toward the exhaust. Let the comments begin!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
No matter what, yes, a slant head causes an imbalance. It is the lesser of two evils to have the head on the way you describe it, but a straight plug is better. Also, be careful torquing the headbolts. I recommend getting sick bike part's headbolt set and loctiting it into your engine block. This will be much better and more secure than the stock bolts if you still have those in.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Maybe all that is true, but my slanthead has noticably more power than my older HT had, and also easily pulls away from the 2 other straitheads I have run with.
A stock HT is so de-tuned, it prolly don't make much difference where the plug is.

Reactions: kaneto

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I always thought the angled plug was a big joke with these engines . All they do is give more room for installation. The Manic billet head should have been a straight plug too. Its is just a funny coincidence that the slant head offers more compression is all.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the slant head on a GT5 does have a smaller and better shaped combustion chamber than a GT4. that should give it more compression, and more power.

in my experience, it doesn't. why? i dunno.

this is an issue that i don't see going away soon. there's a lot of people saying how much better one is over the other. but how many of these people have actually done any real testing? and how many of those engines run right in the first place? i mean, if you got one motor from here and another motor from there, and one of them runs better, you're gonna jump to the obvious conclusion that the motor from here runs better than the motor from there.

happens all the time.

but how many people try to figure out why one motor runs better than the other?

maybe one motor has less compression due to bad castings and restricted ports. it could be fitted together badly, the carb could be machined worse, the exhaust, the timing, the.........

in my personal experience, fitted to a Grubee GT4 Starfire, the slant head was worse. on the Skyhawk GT5, there was no noticeable difference between heads.

a few people i respect claim the slant is better, and a few people say it's not.

out of the multitudes i don't respect (just kidding, i mean the people i don't know;)) some say it's better, some say it's not.

another problem, is the manufacturer of the motor. maybe someone's slant head has a better design than others, or maybe it just works better for their motor and their motor only.

according to "experts" like Graham Bell, it's a bad design.

according to Pablo at SBP, it warps easily, but has more power.

according to me, it didn't pass empirical testing.

according to some other guy, it's freakin' awesome!

and according to this forum, it's another subject that won't die until something better comes along to argue about.:)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I always thought the angled plug was a big joke with these engines . All they do is give more room for installation...
I must say that although I agree w/baird's review - a "slant head" or angled spark plug does facilitate plug indexing... which is admittedly also a controversial practice (that I don't bother with TBH) and isn't mentioned by any of the slant head retailers lol

wiki said:
A matter of some debate is the "indexing" of plugs upon installation, usually only for high performance or racing applications; this involves installing them so that the open area of the spark gap, not shrouded by the ground electrode, faces the centre of the combustion chamber
Spark plug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i index all my plugs. old habit. have i noticed any difference?

no.

i also file my plugs to produce a better spark. another old habit. have i noticed any difference?

i think so.

i'm trying to figure out how to re-curve the distributor on these things...;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I got a slant head China and MM billet physically in my hands right now as I type. No amount of indexing this plug to me moves it back to the center of the head. I can see the argument clearly as I look at it. While it can be deemed to make a difference and I understand that. It won't put the plug dead center in the head where I think it belongs.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I kinda like the head fins in the front to gathers much air as possible on them like a heat sync in a computer. Being the heat is so much at the exhaust port on these pigs. A guy has to take into account that cold air is coming in from the back side on these pigs. The back half of the motor will be cooler by this reckoning. Nobody takes into account how much wind this pigs draw inside them. Just thinking through the key board here. lol.
I know that I argued this before as well. But if we sound it all out for a second. Which direction does the piston tend to twist? This question occurred to me the other night.

Now lets say perhaps the kernel belongs on the exhaust side? Perhaps one could argue it takes the twist from the piston. We just put more heat there..heat at the exhaust port. A motor well tuned running at its proper momentum verses load tends not to twist a piston and oval out a bore. The exhaust ports on these motors always wear out first I see no purpose for the combustion chamber or the piston here. Other than clearing the bike frame. In my humble opinion.

I think also if this motor ran in reverse the exhaust port would perhaps run cooler? Dunno? It is what it is.

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah, I agree with that Goat Herder. As for plug filing, that is supposed to help because there is better electrical conductivity which means a better spark.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i seriously doubt the angle of the plug is going to make any differance on such a low performance engine as the HT. better squish band and more compersion would, on the HT the transfer ports are on the sides of the cyl. the intake port is never open directly to the cyl. the slant head is for frame clearance for ez mounting of the engine. in a high performance 2 stroke the chamber is hemispherical and you would want the plug in the center. many non hemi engines have a pent roof chamber and the plug is set at an angle to reach the center. it all depends on the shape of the chamber.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There is probably more than one chamber shape for the different 'straight head' manufacturers... All I can say is that I compared a RAW 'slant' to a RAW 'straight' head, & I could see that the slant had a smaller combustion chamber.
I switched the heads on two of my bikes for a test & I could feel a noticeable difference in the power of both!
I still think the slants are ugly & I have heard all the stories about them warping; (but the one's I've installed are doing just fine.)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Alright folks, here it is, I was reading the performance tuning book by Alexander Graham Bell, and I have the scoop, from his own mouth, on why a straight plug engine is almost ALWAYS better than an angle plug for performance. He writes "Quiescent chamber with offset spark plug end gases detonate." To translate the words of this Confucius of two strokes this means that when your plug is angled so it is to one side of the dome, it takes longer for the gases on the farthest side to detonate, so there is uneven detonation. What he says about the straight plug is "squish chamber with central spark plug ignition flame advances smoothly." This smooth advancing of the flame kernel means a more even burn and a more rapid and efficient use of the energy in the fuel. If you do choose to use a slant head you should NOT point the plug toward the carb side of the engine, this CAN lower performance and create hot spots. It is best to have the plug facing toward the exhaust so the flame kernel is directed toward leaving the engine. He does not recommend an angle plug, nor do I. Stick with the straight plug if it fits, if you need to use the angle remember, face it toward the exhaust. Let the comments begin!
On my slant head the plug is at an angle, but the the electorde is still in the center of the combustion chamber. I fail to see how that will make any difference at all to flame spread. Depending on plug indexing it could even be better because there's the possibilty if it's just right the electrode won't be in the way in any direction. That would be impossible to say about a straight plug.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My old CZ 250 had 2 coils and two spark plugs that fired simultaineously. If you indexed those, you'ld have the ultimate combustion chamber of all, right?

Come on designers and machinists, get with it, give us dual angled, 2 plug high-compression heads for our HT's. Yeah, right!

Some old Yamaha's and a few others had 2 spark plug holes, but only one coil firing one of the plugs. Kinda silly. You could always install a compression release in the second hole though....handy on the 360's back then.

Whatever.....

A hemi domed head with a center located plug seems to work best, indexed or not. But iridium plugs.....that's another story.

dnut

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i tried running 2 coils off of one mag, it would only fire one plug, spark bounced back and forth between the 2, not in any order either.
also tried 2 plug wires spliced out of one coil, still would fire only one plug.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's strange, sound's like that could be a topic of its own. Dual plug setup, is it possible?
Maybe I'll start that one :)