Random Sputtering?

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Hi, Iv got a small problem with my motor.. Was running fine, did not change anything, and then one day it would'nt start untill I got the speed up to 2x normal starting speed.. and now, while it usally starts fine with full power, after a few mins of riding it often starts to 'sputter'.. Like it just totaly misses combustion and loses all power from full power a second before.

Usally, this happens at WOT and low/mid throttle still works.. other times, low/mid throttle is dead, and it just starts igniting at WOT, with about 1/2 normal power.

Odder still, is cracking the choke open and closing it again, seems to usally fix the sputtering for a little while (min or two), Or just opening it the tinyest amount, but when left open it usally seems to kill the motor from too much fuel.

CNS carb, 66cc motor with fat expansion pipe. running 30:1, With 1oz of 'seafoam' in the tank and ran it for awhile.. seems to be getting a little better with the seafoam but still not back to where it started at.

The thing I don't understand is it runs at full power cold, Usally indicating that its running rich, Yet when it sputters, opening the choke helps.. Meaning.. its running lean?

Oh, And once while it was acting up in a parking lot, it all of a sudden started to smoke like MAD, like, thick white smoke, but that cleared up soon afterwards.

I have a vauge theory that the crankcase might be full of oil, as I was running 20:1 (was braking in another motor and used the same gas for the old one) and usally don't drive more then a few km per run.. but its just a vauge theory.

I have cleaned off the sparkplug.. that seemed to help a little bit but it is still doing it. the ceramic of the plug looked chocolate brown but clean, while the metal 'rim' was rather oily. Also tryed reducing the sparkplug gap from 0.03 to 0.02, and tryed seaform in the gas tank, And tryed swaping the CNS carb jet for another one, fresh outta the package.. So its not the main jet. (Could be other jets?)

Any suggestions? I have another CNS carb but id rather not swap them.. but its looking like I should.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
sounds like you might have a leak either a gasket leaking air into the engine or a main seal leaking.You might want to check the seals behind the mag and the small gear on the crank, they could be loose in their bore.
I don't know how well the seals will handle the sea foam.
You might even have a leaking manifold between the carb and the intake.
The crankcase shouldn't be full of oil what goes into the engine goes right out.
Then again with the info you've given your ignition could be getting weak or a slightly loose wiring connection.
I guess your saying when it looses power you choke the engine and it will then pick back up? And if you leave the choke on a little too long it kills the engine.
That could even be a fuel flow problem.
You will want to check each thing one at a time to try to find the real problem.