Friction Kit Frame Protectors

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The protectors that come with the thatsdax friction kit are not very thick and they look like **** after you put them on because they don't lay straight. I had some cork gasket material I had left over from trying to make a noisy staton gearbox quiet by filling with oil, and used it. I superglued it to the backets. Works like a charm, and if i decide to take the friction kit off, my bike will not look like crap.

Picts. in atachements.

Attachments

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I use red rubber industrial gasket material. It conforms excellently around the frame parts. There is no slippage and doesn't leave any marks and helps cut down the vibration. You can get this material at industrial supply stores, they use it to make gaskets on heavy duty cast iron pipe fittings for steam heat.
You are right, the protector material looks like crap.
buzzard

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't have a kit yet, but all my bikes come from the junk store, so I would probably go with bike inner tubes and contact cement just to prevent vibration and slippage.

Since I seem to have guys who know a bit about this let me ask a couple of quick questions.

How the devil do you make room for the throttle on a mountain bike. On the one I am going to build I'm thinking move the front shifter as far down the bar as possible since I think it wont really get used much. then relocate the rear shifter to that side of the bars so that I can use the right side bar for the throttle.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've got mine jerry rigged right now just to get me rolling. I have the 7 speed gripshifter moved to the far left of the right hand side, then the crappy china throttle twist grip assembly on the outside. It looks like hel.l, but it works for now till I get this...................................

Shindaiwa Throttle Lever 72910-14320, 8673 - eBay (item 160419710386 end time Dec-27-10 19:27:58 PST)

Just ordered it this morning. Check back with me in about a week or two to find out if it works or not. This way I will not have to monkey around with the shifters and can leave them where they are.

If you wanna use the china twist throttle............................................

My suggestion is to........................................

Loose the front deraileur, take it off. Take off the 3 speed grip shift, move the 7 speed grip shift to the left hand side and mount upside down. Then install the twist grip throttle on the left hand side. Works like a champ. You only have 7 speeds though, and not 21.

If you get a kit. Get it from BMP. I got mine from thatsdax because I also got a 5:1 pocket bike tranny and it shipped free with the kit. I think BMP uses aluminum rear support stays vs. steel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
what I may do is convert the three speed shifter to the throttle and just wire the front guide to the biggest sprocket. Nobody needs a motor assist with 21 gears. I expect I'm going to get the one off ebay. The one with the yellow engine. He says it comes with a thirty day warrentee may or may not be any good. The price is right though.

Last edited:

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
You don't even need to wire it. Your chain will track true on your front chain ring without a deraileur. The deraileur is just there to change from one chain ring to the next.

I have monkeyed with making a throttle out of a grip shifter before. You have to take the metal clicker piece out of it. Not sure why I didn't use it.

For What It is Worth.............................................

The crappy china throttle twist grips are not that bad if you can take off the plastic grip and use standard bicycle grips on the twist throttle body. I have done this and it works great. Serfas makes some that fit.

I've also check out that Yellow Friction drive before on ebay.............

Looks like it has the same roller driver as the BMP/Thatsdax kits, but different roller tensioner. It also looks like it has a 3 shoe clutch. Not sure how reliable the eninge is.

If your not going looks, yea your right the price is good.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I used one of those gear levers with the thumb throw on my first china bike I never even got the china throttle on the bike before it broke. Yes take the lock out and it worked fine as long as I had the bike,. Thanks for the advice about the front ring tracking without the guide.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Yep that works and if you want to use a different front ring just move the chain with your fingers as long as you keep the rear derailleur.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thank you gentlemen that solves a problem I have right now on my e friction drive. I need the rear gears but not the front one I can get rid of the three speed shifter and save it for the gas bike. I only use the biggest front chain ring. I need the handlebar space for the on off switch.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
I used a old clutch lever and now I have a 3/4 throttle hold, tis nice to be able to let the blood back in the hands every now and again on those long rides

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I decided I wanted to leave the guide on but I needed the space on the bars so, I found a spot of bare cable on the way down to the guide. I used a hose clamp over the cable there then I snipped the cable and removed it and the shifter. It was a minimal change to the bike and I got the space I needed for my e throttle. I put the throttle on the left side so it works backwards but I didn't have to move any of the controls on the right. I still need to work out a mirror. I might have to move the controls around to get a mirror on the bike but that is eminently doable.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've got mine jerry rigged right now just to get me rolling. I have the 7 speed gripshifter moved to the far left of the right hand side, then the crappy china throttle twist grip assembly on the outside. It looks like hel.l, but it works for now till I get this...................................

Shindaiwa Throttle Lever 72910-14320, 8673 - eBay (item 160419710386 end time Dec-27-10 19:27:58 PST)

Just ordered it this morning. Check back with me in about a week or two to find out if it works or not. This way I will not have to monkey around with the shifters and can leave them where they are.

If you wanna use the china twist throttle............................................

My suggestion is to........................................

Loose the front deraileur, take it off. Take off the 3 speed grip shift, move the 7 speed grip shift to the left hand side and mount upside down. Then install the twist grip throttle on the left hand side. Works like a champ. You only have 7 speeds though, and not 21.

If you get a kit. Get it from BMP. I got mine from thatsdax because I also got a 5:1 pocket bike tranny and it shipped free with the kit. I think BMP uses aluminum rear support stays vs. steel.
Got the shindaiwa throttle lever installed. It works great, and at only $6.39, I'm happy. It keeps the gripshifters in the same place. I finally successfully used Norm's silver soilder the little nub at the end of the brake cable as well. Before i was getting it too hot and couldn't make the bond/union.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am going to make a mount for a chainsaw motor I just bought off ebay, if I can figure out the drive wheel for it. That should be interesting.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The cork/rubber combo gasket material cracked a little bit but did work and would continue to still work, however I ended up taking a super thick bicycle tube that was defective and ended up making new ones. I believe these will hold up better than the cork/rubber combo gasket material.