Idea Trike (ALL types of comments welcome)

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
ingredients- 1 piece of yellow scaffolding that fell off a truck, 2 bikes, 1 snapper rear-engine lawntractor. i need alot more odds and ends but its coming together. ANYONE BUILDING TRIKES---ive seen stock live axle trikes on this site (the rickshaw)the trans is a peerless 700, if you want to make a live-axle hauler, or live axle beast in general, these trans's are the way to go. vertical shaft engines are super-common/almost useless, but the peerless has a vertical input shaft, and a horizontal chain-drive output shaft.you could even use HONDA motors from the push-lawnmowers that have a belt/clutch engagement.cant use a normal lawnmower engine because it wont run without the blade,the spark timing is advanced to make up for the weight of the blade.the peerless can take up to 20 horsepower, and you can shift on the fly, amzingly simple to dissassemble and clean, if you want it to last clean out the grease, and fill it with gear-oil.if you had a live axle trike with a fixed sprocket you would even have reverse. i've never had a kit-bike but from what i've seen they have a dry gear-reduction-box.....very loud, drill and tap a hole up top and bottom then plug them so you could fill and drain oil?you wouldn't need much oil, and it would make them last longer, run quieter. someone should try it.....its probably been done.

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yours looks like electric start jump in hit the key and go. I am suprized that no one else has done one...LOL

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
took the inner bearing race out of a cassette, cut it, and welded it on this sprocket.if the torque doesn't strip the threads on the wheel-hub, or inside my piece, or if it doesn't just crack the piece....then i'll have a cool interchangeable sprocket for all my spare wheels, no welding on the hub, no bolting to the spokes. i have a feeling i'll have to weld it to the hub after some good beatin though. went with all steel to try to combat these problems.hubs and wheels that is.

Attachments

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
steering linkage is done and tight, probably gonna redo my L-shaped piece coming out the bottom of the neckpiece you steer with. my deck is done to, the battery will go in the L-shaped part behind the front wheel, still need to make a little framework under the seat for stowing-purposes. the floors are going to be thick-ish gauge steel diamond mesh. the trans is mounted and lined up to.making linkage for that will be a challenge

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Build,
That is a nice trike ya got started there. Peerless 700, good thinking and reverse too! I am very interested, keep the PIX coming.

Mac

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
motor got refreshed.took the bottom bearing cover thing off to clean, cut out a gasket and resealed it, cleaned out all the carbon deposits around the intake and exhaust valves and everything else, painted everything and put it back together. its an aluminum bore 10 horse synchro-balanced briggs vertical. non-industrial.bleh.but it works

Attachments