Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have been looking at doing a homemade trike, and so I have ended looking at go kart stuff for steering, which got me thinking about wheels, is there a reason why every one builds with bike wheels? I was finding some decent and cheap wheels at tractor supply, is there a reason why no one uses wheel barrow wheels or similiar for builds? The max load capacity is huge and the ony thing I see "wrong" with them is that the astericks says not intended for highway use. I was wondering if the wider thread made them less efficient, or harder to "pedal".

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You can use anything you want. Wheel barrow wheels are not any diferent the a chooper tire. They have a high center,wereaz garden tractor or go-kart have more ground contact. They would cause more friction and harder to push, overinflating some would give a higher center.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I knew the extra friction made for more work, I was just wondering if I was missing anything because no one seems to use them, and they are way cheaper than heavy duty bike wheels.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Check out the trouble Gstrop on Custom Recumbent trike is have with the wheels. The rubber in the utility wheels are not what they used to be. You need to use a better tire.Garden tractor would be a better one but trailer tires would be better yet. I have a web site The Moped Gallery it shows the using that kind of setup back in the early 1900's on diferent kinds of three wheelers,so its not new. Just think all the cusman scooters and mini bikes and Mopeds that did it...........Curt

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am following Gstrop's build, that is what got me thinking and what may end up being my winter project, ( I might have room in my shed to build a recumbent when the snow hits).

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
What about moped wheels and tires for a motorized trike? They use heavy spokes, wide tires a brake drum built into each one. Don't forget, if your using two wheels in the rear, you can install a differential axle. I have a trike frame with one I got at a swap meet for $20.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Or you can run a split azel like the newer trikes. Check them out at wally-world. Diferential is better because it transfers the load tow both wheels somewhat. For the most part the just drive one wheel.
Moped wheels would be great much heaver the bike wheels

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
One thing I have found with a lot of utility wheels is that they lack precision bearings. Many don't even have shields or seals on the bearings to keep dirt out and grease in--and don't even have separate bearings.... the balls run around in grooves cut right into the axle and wheel hub.

Also I have seen that often the "wire-spoked" garden-cart wheels use wire spokes that are welded at both ends. If they get bent, there is no easy way to straighten them well at all.

Generally, utility wheels are not built very precise. They are made from stamped-metal pieces that are bolted, riveted or spot-welded together. Even if you have the ability to machine them straight, there may not be enough metal there to cut, and still have them strong enough to use.

------

On the other hand,,,,, 36-spoke BMX wheels are pretty strong, and are built with replaceable precision bearings (either loose bearings or cartridges) and are already machined very true.
~