2007 whizzer problems???

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I may have a chance to buy a 2007 Whizzer for around $400

I know that that is a good price, but I am wondering if there were any engine issues with this year
I heard that a certain model and year had bad engine problems

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
The WC-1 engine has the valve seat problem. 1999 to 2004. A 2007 is the NE5 motor that is much better. If it has the aluminum carb spacer it should also have the mushroom lifters. Quenton Gunther is the one to ask about any engine problems with that model year.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Joabthebugman,

There are different versions of the 2007 motor depending on early or late editions.

The very early 2007 didn't have mushroom lifters or the aluminum intake spacer. Mushroom lifters are a MUST! not a speed item. All 2007 cylinders need to have the metal re-cured.

Mushroom lifters are now hard to locate and the price has increased to $95.00 for a set of modified lifters [stock mushroom lifters are way too heavy]. Factory mushroom lifters can be modified for approx. $25.00.

Modifying the cylinder is approx $100.00 [includes major port work, valve work, decking cylinder, etc].

Head used on all 2007 motors can be re-worked and modified for better flow [easier starting, higher MPG, more HP, idle smoother, run cooler, etc] for approx $45.00.

If you can buy for $400.00 and spend less than $400.00 to make it bullet proof & faster, it would be well worth the investment.

Have fun,

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
It's the $400, (actually he wants a little more but has had the ad up for awhile with no takers and is steadily lowering the price) that is concerning me
That's a very low price for a bike that supposedly only needs very minor wok to make whole

Also what does it need a battery for?

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
The price may be going down because money is tight for many people right now. The battery is there because the bike has a charging system albeit a weak one. It keeps the lights on at an idle. It may or may not have turn signals. I don't know about 2007 but earlier model years had them as options. How many miles are on it?

Jim

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Check for broken spokes and things like that but it sounds like a good start. I have gone through the upgrades that Quenton mentioned in his post and now my Whizzer runs very well. Starts up easy and has not let me sit anywhere. The engine upgrades are important for reliability. The stock lifters are too soft and begin to mushroom out then fracture leaving bits of steel in the block. Not good! Check it out real well but it sounds like a good deal.

Jim

PS They are not complicated to work on either.

Last edited:

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
I may have a chance to buy a 2007 Whizzer for around $400

I know that that is a good price, but I am wondering if there were any engine issues with this year
I heard that a certain model and year had bad engine problems
Hey Bug Man.. You know there are some minor problems with some of those years But I have found for the most part by timing them properly cleaning, carbs, plugs.. they work well if used as they are intended..they run quite nice in fact.. and Of course I use those years to build My New Helmutt Whizzers, as Intended..
But for the Most part keep good oil in them change it frequently. Keep the gas fresh is a Bigie.. and let me or a few other here help ya with it as needed..
Oh Ya you did good with the price.. 400.00 is a bargin.. Have You aquired the bike yet? and as U can see Guys Like Mike and Lee Guenther. Know there whizzer Beans
Helmutt Says So it is true

Last edited:

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
They are no longer in production. I do see them from time to time on Ebay. Many are NOS or very low mileage one owner. I got mine on Ebay and so did KilroyCD. Mine was older and needed more upgrades where Kilroys' was a 2005. He installed mushroom lifters and a milled head and he has a very solid engine.

Jim

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
thats to bad fossil, to be quite honest whizzers and look a likes are the most fascinating looking Motor Bikes I have ever seen.

Hi,

Battery was used to meet DOT requirements concerning the brake light. The bike will run without the battery. The charging system is minimum and won't charge a battery that is dead or low on charge. Once the battery is charged it will stay charged from the motor, just not enough to charge a low battery.

Because the new models are out of production, first they will drop in value, and then increase in value because they will become rare. As an example the original vintage motors sold for approx $100.00 and are now worth between $750.00 to $1200.00.

As long as you can get the new edition Whizzers and have the modifications done for a total under $1000.00 it is well worth the price. Whizzer is in a class all its own and is like no other.

Have fun,

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
138cc Engine Assembly will fit Whizzer motorbikes: eBay Motors (item 220619128476 end time Nov-05-10 16:13:33 PDT)

What is wrong with these.It would be cheaper to buy one of these as a spare for when the orig. fails if they are better than the 2007.
Well Now your talking a problem child, we most all know about.. this motor was a reworked Ambassador motor. with many Goofy things wrong.. for one the head has No cooling fins. or at least, Way to small to cool the top end. so they run Hot.. 100degrees or more hoter than and Ne-5..then there's the funky monkey way they converted to drive pully on the flywheel and the O7 won't fit it.. and the list goes on to,Since the Whizzer Name isn't on, it's Not epa rated..
Helmutt Says, Bad JuJu Motor you're better off with the 07 NE-5

Last edited:

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I'm not sure where to start. These are in a word junk. The cylinders are not cured properly and are too brittle. The threads will pull out so the head will not stay torqued. The head is a bad design. It does not have enough cooling fins and when they moved the spark plug to the center of the head it drastically decreased the efficiency so it runs hotter and poorly. The crankshaft bearing used in one side was changed to a cheaper bearing creating a possible failure point. The pulley mounted to the flywheel is not near as solid as the original WC-1 and NE5 because they changed the crank to fit a CVT to it on one of the last models. Now the pulley has to be mounted to the flywheel instead out being cast as one piece. It is very sad the way Whizzer has fallen from grace. Poor execution of design changes with little or no testing before being released to the public has caused the need for upgrades and now the parts needed to improve the NE5 engine are getting harder to find. It's sad indeed. I'm very glad I bought one even though it needed a lot of work to make it right. Between the engine upgrades and the Worksman wheels I could not be happier with mine. I have already been offered more for it than I have invested in it so I am ahead of the game.

Jim

Last edited:

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
Great info guys...thanks.I'm a air-cooled VW guy,so I understand the cooling and valve issues. I was just wondering about the Whizzer re-pops. I need a hi-HP engine for a trick bike build.Morini maybe? It has to look like a real MC engine.
Sorry,didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Just got back home with it

I haven't had time to run through it completely, and I picked it up from a dark warehouse with hookers standing outside, but that is another story

The rust is extensive to the point that chrome is peeling off, battery and cover plate is missing, clutch cable broken and gone, some wiring coming from the left side handgrip is broken off,no turn signals
Other than that, not bad

I can't stand that fat seat though and the rack has to go

I'll be back with more questions and comments after I have gotten some sleep