Close call with Spandex rider.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was out running some errands today in my pick up, stopped at a light with a truck to my left blocking my view of the pedestrian lane. The light went green, I pulled away and almost smacked a spandex rider who had run the red light and was crossing in front of traffic which had the right-of-way. He gave me the finger and a dirty look, as if I had done something wrong. I, being a biker myself felt like pursuing the matter and giving this jerk a little instruction about what he was supposed to do at red lights but I was in a good mood and just went on my way. This guy had ample opportunity to see and respond to the traffic signal but instead elected to cross the street apparently thinking cars are supposed to stop for him because he was on a bicycle. I didn't hit him because I used caution moving ahead when I couldn't see the pedestrian crossing but there are plenty of drivers out there that don't do that but simply take off when they see the green light. If it had been one of them, my spandex friend would have been splattered under their front wheels. Since getting involved with motorized bikes I've become very aware of my two wheeled companions out there and try hard to give them the right of way and plenty of room when I pass but idiots like this one today try my patients. This was no kid, he had to be in his 40s, complete with all the requisite sponsor logos on his clothes and trying hard to look like Lance Armstrong. Sorry, just venting here a little. That guy really p***ed me off.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I know what you mean. I have seen a lot of stupid thing done by the spandex crowd. Riding on the wrong side of the road, running real close to parked cars that are parallel parked etc. Stop signs and red lights seem to be a foreign concept to them.

Terry

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Our area is infested with these. Kind of like cockroaches with wheels and they feel free to travel in swarms ignoring the rules of the road that they demand the drivers follow.

We have the Tour De White Rock which is held in the town just south of us so we have these doorknobs practicing all year to be Lance Armstrong for two days.
As soon as my bike is ready I'm going down and get some spandex and that will give some meaning to 10 pound of sh*t in a 5 pound sack. Just put up beside them and smile. Think the cape may be overkill.
Figure the town will be clear of spandex in less than a week and yes I'd post photos but I like everyone here to much.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks Tom. Hadn't thought of that.
Kind of like scarves and sports cars with wire wheels. I'll just go with the spandex.

I'll probably be arrested for indecent use of spandex.

Steve.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
I am glad you did not hit the idiot. It would of caused you a bunch of misery even though it was no fault of yours. When I rode with groups in the 70s in Washington state we actually obeyed the law.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Fasteddy..sounds like a good plan to me..a smaller cape that is well secured would be a good addition...Get a can of cream of chicken soup and put it in a plastic jar to carry with you : when they get close take a good mouth-full and blow off a good power Puke..I don't care for these spandex folks at all..

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i used to be so careless of traffic laws when im was yunger now i am more cautious than ever i am constantly scanning around and i always make eye conntact with someone before going in front of them and no longer run red lights

well sometimes i stop at a red light and wait for it to turn green but it never does the turning lane coming the other direction turns green and the lights turn green for crossing traffic but the light for me does not turn green unless theres a car stopped by me its really annoying to sit and wait for a light to turn and it never really does so in these cases i will run a red light but only if it is safe

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I almost hit one the other day today. He was wearing all black on a black bike. Stupid! I drive an old subaru, lifted, big wheels, and a loud exhaust. It looks real menacing coming down the road like it's going to eat you. And he had the audacity to pull out in front of me and expect me to lock up my brakes to avoid hitting him. Idiot.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
This was no kid, he had to be in his 40s, complete with all the requisite sponsor logos on his clothes and trying hard to look like Lance Armstrong. Sorry, just venting here a little. That guy really p***ed me off.
Tom
Reminds me of when I was younger and there were guys running around with every car product sticker available plastered on their jacked up Pintos.

Think of it this way Tom, that guy is so dumb that all of those companies got him to pay them to advertise their products. laff