Custom Recumbent Trike

GoldenMotor.com

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Yep, same wheels as Harbor Freight sells. I use them on my mobility scooter and the wear out in about 2 months but thats only going about 5 mph. You would have less wear on them if you set up the Ackerman steering geometry but not not much. They are just too soft for much road use.
You might try real gokart tires and have a bit better luck but until you change the steering they will also wear very quickly every time you go around a corner.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
After limited road testing I have already run into trouble with the small wheels. I had a bearing failure on one wheel and have noticed the tire worn to the cords already. I got these wheels on sale at tractor supply for $5 each. They are clearly marked not for road use but I thought they could handle this application.

I am going to redesign with different front wheels probably bicycle wheels.
Some of the problum is the axel pivit points. The way you have it will make it scrub in the turns.
Also the wheels you have were made to be used on utility carts and the rubber is cheep. Garden tractor and go-kart would be better. and better yet would be trailer wheels or anything with highway use will have better rubber.......Curt

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Well here is the latest, I decided to try bicycle wheels so I got out the welder and whipped up some new mounts. The only wheels I had available on my parts pile were 20" which are two big but good enough for initial testing. It worked pretty good on road testing but felt too high up as I expected. I think 12" bicycle wheels with the solid wheel might work perfect.

Does any anyone have any comments on mounting bicycle wheels from one side only, like is there a problem breaking axles?

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I like the garden tractor axle idea. Besides spindles, some pivot in the middle to give a smoother ride. I think it's called a walking beam axle. It would keep the seat more level when going over bumps instead of jerking the rider left and right.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think soner or later you will break a axel. You could try and make up a heaver axel to fit the rear wheels with the larger bearings. Also I think northerntool.com has some 12'' wheels plastic spoke that have the wheel barrow type bearings for a heaver axel.Check them out

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
The smaller wheels would let you do a narrow stance right?
Yes I think it would.

I converted my steering to side handles. The handlebars are always in the way. I have some new pictures.

I gave it a test ride with the new steering and I like it. What I didn't like is the trike feels top-heavy and the steering is kind of glitchy. I am going to tear it down and lower the frame and do the steering like others have recommended. On the up side the motor runs real smooth and the gear ratio seems right.

Attachments

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
That is looking pretty sweet, I have to say it is a long way from the original pics but it is cool to watch the evolution. Thanks

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
That is looking pretty sweet, I have to say it is a long way from the original pics but it is cool to watch the evolution. Thanks
Yes it has evolved alot. I am learning a lot on this one. The next one I build I can bypass all the mistakes. Next is lowering and proper steering.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,gstrope.You can get heavy duty bmx axles for your front.You will eventually match them up I'm assuming.You might have better handling if you run a straight round rod with adjustable Heim joints connecting the two sides,above the frame through where the chain passes.Less flex.Looking Good.Kip.
[email protected]

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Hi,gstrope.You can get heavy duty bmx axles for your front.You will eventually match them up I'm assuming.You might have better handling if you run a straight round rod with adjustable Heim joints connecting the two sides,above the frame through where the chain passes.Less flex.Looking Good.Kip.
[email protected]
Thanx for the tips

Do the heavy duty bmx axles hold up real well on the one side mount?

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,gstrope.The axles worked well for me at 220lbs but that was without a motor and I didn't abuse it.I would try to keep the axles as short as possible and make sure I had a nice solid bolting surface for them-no flex.Looks fun!!
Kip. [email protected]

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
If you find the single sided axles keep giving you trouble you can always convert it over to use forks like I did on mine. I haven't had any problems since I did that and won't go back to a single sided version. The forks also give me a place to mount lights mirrors etc.......
Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Excellent suggestion fleebell, the pic helps a bunch! (^)

I think there'd be a lil bit of scrub while turning as the contact patch/center of tire is a lil further away from the pivot point, but the added strength would prolly more than make up for it - defo good for a heavy duty application AND ya can use rim brakes w/that setup :D

I did just find 20mm hubs for significantly less than I originally linked just as a FYI, if ya still wanna do the single-sided mount. I'm not entirely sure about the company or the quality - but I couldn't resist and just ordered a set of: Quando FRONT HUB ALLOY DH THRU AXLE 20mm 36H

If yer interested, gimmie a shout and I'll get back to ya on their quality when they get here ;)

Last edited:

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Looking pretty good dude! I just changed the front wheels on mine. I went with the ACS Zmag plastic rear wheels. I turned them backwards and mounted scooter type band brakes on them. I have much better stopping capabilities now compared to the rim grippers that I was using.