Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

yugi

Apr 25, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA
Hi,
I'm doing my first build. I ordered a 66cc engine kit from thatsdax, now, I'm deciding about the bike to use.
First possibility is to get something like Schwinn Delmar and add a springer fork to it, and later maybe a drum brake front wheel, or to buy a GT1 bike, which is currently around $350 with shipping. I like that it has a telescopic forks, and a V-brakes. Here is a link:
http://www.usabikemotors.com/index....id=143&zenid=916c452f531ddf008ccf69b9da8940b2
A beach cruiser with a springer fork and a drum brake will cost less than GT1 by approximately $100 or so.
What do you think?

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
yes i live a couple of blocks away from usa bike motors and they just got done building a trike for me and i have the front fork of the gt 1 and i really like it

Attachments

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
I just got a sweet Micargi cruiser with a springer. I love the old school look. What is a G T 1? GT Bikes returns nothing on a search of their site. Can you post a pic?

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
If I had it all over to do again I'd buy a Worksman newsboy. It's cheaper because you don't have to replace anything its already heavy duty. Ruppster

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I bought a GT2 for the Woody build and consider it a bargain. The GT1 not only has a great front fork, you get the three way braking system and hub attached drive sprocket (not the rag joint); and double walled wheels.

If you want to bomb proof your build and spend more to add these features, buy the Worksman bike. When I save enough bucks, I see a Worksman in my future.

yugi

Apr 25, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA
I bought a GT2 for the Woody build and consider it a bargain. The GT1 not only has a great front fork, you get the three way braking system and hub attached drive sprocket (not the rag joint); and double walled wheels.

If you want to bomb proof your build and spend more to add these features, buy the Worksman bike. When I save enough bucks, I see a Worksman in my future.
I looked in Worksman. It's approximately the same price as GT1, but you need to add some extras, like brakes, etc. So what's so special about it, despite being heavy duty? It doesn't have suspension forks, and the front drum brake is optional $70 extra.

Last edited:

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Yugi,

The GT2 or GT1 are best value. The Worksman is the "Humvee" if you are considering resale or longterm life.

If you buy the GT series you will have made a good build choice. I do not regret my decision to use the GT2 (other than the limited tank storage, which I augumented with the carry on fuel bottle).

It's just that the Worksman in other words is the standard bearer of bicycle platforms.

Go with confidence and buy the GT series.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
The GT looks like a great bike, I didn't realize they where heavy duty as well. The newsboy would be my first pick still though. I like the look of of the frame better and it lends itself to a in frame tank much better. In short it's just a matter of taste and I like the fact that Worksman is such an old company and they're made right on the east coast. Ruppster

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re:I want just the seat for that trike

Re:I want just the seat for that trike , I searched the site at usa bike motors for seat , and had no luck . If you can get an direct link to a page please paste here.
yes i live a couple of blocks away from usa bike motors and they just got done building a trike for me and i have the front fork of the gt 1 and i really like it

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The GT1 looks like a nice bike, especially for the money. Compared to the Worksman it is a bargain when you add everything up. Add in to the Worksman the drum brake and a quality rear sprocket setup (creative engineering), a springer front fork and the Worksman gets pricey. On the other hand I like the Worksman design better for looks and like the fact that it is "ours", a bike made in the U.S.A. with a long tradition of quality. I have a Worksman frame waiting for it's engine this summer, so no doubt have a bias. I can see that the GT1 has more room for an easy engine install, or so it appears. If someone starts making an in frame gas tank to fill in that hole in the frame it would make it even more compelling. It's a nice bike, for sure, especially at that sale price.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The gt2 has an in frame tank, and is a very nice looking bike as well , the only thing with it for me anyways is the forks ...I would rather a springer type..like the Monarch. But other than that and the lack of front disc mounts I would snap one up in a minute..
Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
They do have the mount for the disc brake on the fork...but not the wheel.Which would be a waste of an excellent wheel provided if you were to replace it with a disc wheel. I know I could buy a disc hub and relace it. If I were spending almost 4 beans on a bike, I would want the disc hubs already in place. I am still toying around with the idea of doing just that though that is a nice ride.
Cheers

yugi

Apr 25, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, I also don't like that the bike comes with a V-brakes and not a disk brakes.
I would prefer a disk setup better.
I also customized a worksman cruiser, and after adding all the options it came up to $566. I added 20" frame, alloy rims with SS spokes, front drum brake, low handlebars, springer fork, megahorn, fender set, and a mirror. Is there any advantage to buy an alloy wheels instead of standard steel one? I may order a wheels from Worksman.

Last edited: