Womens Bike Motorized Bicycle Kit

GoldenMotor.com

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
okay....i have this old green (i dont know what brand) that is a womens bike....which means there is a bar that goes down unlike a mens bike....theres no way the motor would be able to fit on it without modifications.....but i was thinking of cutting that top bar so it wouldnt be there....would this make it too flimsy or unable to hold the weight and vibrations......thanks for your help...

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
Re: Womens Bike MB Kit

well, the bar IS there of a reason you know. Add 19-25 lbs on that and who knows what would happen!

(*crash*)

(*Broken in half*)

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia

Why not just pick up a really nice used Mens bike on craigslist. They are on there all the time for $15 to $50. And I mean good chromoly framed bikes, with the good components.

John

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

you can probably get a new or used frame for less cost and effort than trying to adapt a women's frame for the purpose. why would you want to use one anyway?

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky

Yeah, dude, seriosuly, bikes are cheap and plentiful. Gets a mens bike. Sell the woman's. Heck- you might break even!

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky

Hi Luvehamr -,thats sweet, and for us ole geezers with hip problems that is an ideal build. I see the bracket on the front of the engine, how is it attached on the back side.
Thanks for the help
Hank

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Pictured below are two 1963 Schwinn American Deluxe step through models. Like the Acme in the earlier post the upper cross member sweeps low to the frame giving plenty of engine room. Technically middleweights, these Americans have strong frames of steel with good welds. I have well over a thousand miles on the blue one with no frame problems and I weigh 200 pounds. Someone asked why anybody would want a woman's bike. For one, some of them just plain look cool. Some of us have disabilities with knees, hips (for me partial paralysis) which makes it hard to swing your leg over the seat. Also some women who grew up with step through cruisers find a man's bike hard to get used to. Older riders are more stable mounting the bike if they can put a leg through while mounting. So, those are some of the reasons. Visually, it also helps to emphasize the engine, which is what these bikes are all about... they're motorbicycles. Another consideration is that the same model bike in a step through usually sells for less than the men's version. Also on an older bike the women's usually got better threatment and are less beat up. One of my project bikes this winter is a 1939 Elgin step through which is going to be a real beauty with fender skirts and a really nice frame design... very strong. Tank mounting is pretty much delegated to a rear rack or at least behind the seat and routing cables is more of a hassle if your want them out of the way. I can give more details on this for anyone building a step through who needs foot clearance. So to answer the question of why a ladies bike I say, why not? I read in a post here in another thread that someone felt the women's bikes are not as strong and vibrate more. I haven't noticed this at all. The old ones made of steel are certainly stronger than the men's walmart bikes coming out of China. I would stick with an older model step through and not even consider a new one. Hope this helps.
SB

Attachments

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky

Helps a lot siverbear, thanks! I dont know if I can do the older steel though because of weight issues... one MB will be on the boat, so that means off the boat, on the dingy, on the dock and then in reverse... LOL... weight will be an issue but not sure of the difference in the two. If the alum. frame would take the motor that might be a better way to go. On the other hand the weight is not an issue if the alum. will crack in two LOL.. :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Helps a lot siverbear, thanks! I dont know if I can do the older steel though because of weight issues... one MB will be on the boat, so that means off the boat, on the dingy, on the dock and then in reverse... LOL... weight will be an issue but not sure of the difference in the two. If the alum. frame would take the motor that might be a better way to go. On the other hand the weight is not an issue if the alum. will crack in two LOL.. :)
Hmmm. I wonder if an older 24" step through frame would work. It would be a bit smaller overall, less weight, but still strong. I don't know enough about the aluminum women's bikes to venture an opinion. I do know that many of the newer women's bikes have that second upper bar higher up than the old Schwinns. I've seen a couple of 20" bikes with the in frame 2 stroke motors here on this forum, but fitting everything under the upper crossbar is an issue. As I looked at those I was thinking about some of the older 20" folding bikes... well made and an open frame like on a step through. Worksman has a nice one and I've seen others which have a less obtrusive folding point (on a worksman it might get in the way of the engine mounts). If you went this route you would no longer have a folding bike (couldn't very well fold it with the engine mounted), but it would be compact and made for an adult with a substantial seat, long seat post and long gooseneck, high rise handlebars. With the seat and gooseneck lowered it would stow pretty well. You'd have to ask someone else about an appropriate rear wheel sprocket (how many teeth). Most of the older ones had a rear rack where a gas tank could easily fit. You might take a look on eBay at folding bikes, avoiding the newer Chinese ones, but focusing on Worksman, some English ones and also ones made in Europe... they do come up on eBay. That might be an option to consider. It would be different and pretty cool, too.
SB

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky

..Some of us have disabilities with knees, hips (for me partial paralysis) which makes it hard to swing your leg over the seat.... yep, its an gray haired thing :)

More food for thought :).. thanks... yes i can see by the pics of the bikes what your talking about with the bars on some models being higher. I remember that someone said you need 15" clearance with the vertical bar to the seat. Some I can see dont but some will... I'm going to check into it more when I head to SC to winterize the boat in Nov. Thanks...

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

heres a pic of my girls bike before the motor went on, rear mount is just welded on, if i remember right the motor would of went on as stock, but i wanted it more forward and less canted. it rides great, i see no more vibration or flex than on the boys bikes.
http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f15/11535d1249344909-acme-bike-lady-schwinn-*****-bike.jpg
Ooooo... I like that!.. That's a Schwinn, correct? Is it an American? Very classy. The paint job is super. Do you have a picture with the motor in place?
SB