Another tale of fender failure

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I've had several Wahl racks and rack/basket combos, and will testify that Wald does not skimp on metal or chroming! They are made of STEEL.

Thanks for the link, but its broken.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/advance...ender&osCsid=fd6a22d0a7488d3d90bbb5ce0ded77ce
If that doesn't work, go to Niagaracycle.com and Search: for " Wald Fender"

They look heavier than most, and it says "balloon/ 2.35" tire", but I'm still scared of fenders since I joined this board.

Is it possible that some of these wrecks are caused by some road debris sticking between the tire and fender, breaking the mount?

Why do most of these fenders have 1 little puny tab attached to the brake bolt, instead of at least a heavy bracket that goes up both sides of the fork steerer?

I refuse to use any fender except something that can't jam on the wheel.

In rainy weather I ziptie a 6" wide piece of corrugated plastic (painted garage sale sign) to the downtube and call it good enough. I hate riding it in the rain anyway.

get some Wald fenders. they're heavy duty, their chrome is excellent (they make black, too,) the mounting struts are strong, and they last forever. and cheap, too.

i've got them on my cruiser, and they're probably 40 years old. they hardly even vibrate when i'm riding.

Wald Steel Fender Set 962-24 24" Balloon Chrome

you can also buy this for a coupla bucks:

Wald #447 Fender Bracket Set

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
how are you doing now Dan
Cut the loop over brace in the center and mount in rubber gromets on the sides,2 thick plate washers and a good bolt and 2 nuts in rubber gromet at the L braket,,bolt from the bottom through the gromet ,nut,washer,L braket,washer,top nut that locks the L braket and eliminates the weak point at the hole in the L braket,,,cutting the loop over brace and moumting each side in a rubber gromet allows it to break away if it does get loose instead of continueing to tighten on the wheel from forward rotation,

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I forgot how good it is to have fenders. The other day it had rained and the roads were still just wet enough to be a drag to ride on. Looked out and thought "naw. ride tomorrow" Then realized I had fenders and had a great ride.
Oh man corgi, I think it was you and I talking about springer forks. Really do make a world of difference. Really nice! Took me a good long while to figure out how to keep enders with em. Like most things, The simple answer seemed to work best.

.wee.

Acerjoe128

Jan 14, 2020
Glad you did not get seriously hurt, I don't use fenders I rarely ride in the rain. You can fab up real strong fender supports from stainless steel rods. Not hard to fabricate and they will last a long time, 3X stronger than regular steel.

What do you think, of using those carbon arrows (without the feathers and points) at the correct length?

Jonathanbluebeast

May 22, 2020
pics look like no big deal. I am almost embarrassed. $114 wally world bike bounced better then I. But in my defense, I am way older!
Are those metal fenders? Mine are plastic and the front bracket broke on mine probably in the first couple miles . Put a heavier bracket back on . Haven't paid as much attention to it since as I should . Think I'll start . How fast were you going ?

Reactions: fasteddy