Which Engine Works Best?

GoldenMotor.com

DemonSlayerz

Jan 27, 2015
Oregon
At this time, I'm having a very difficult time contemplating whether I'd like to go with a 2-Stroke engine or a 4-Stroke.

Initially, I was leaning more towards a 4-Stroke because I felt they were more durable, reliable, and had a longer life expectancy than a 2-Stroke. However, after reading the forums and looking over peoples builds for a few hours, I realized that a lot of people have 2 Stroke engines and they seem to be the 'go-to' engine (so to speak of) when making a build.

So, my question is: Which do you feel is better, a 2 Stroke or a 4 Stroke ~ and why do you feel this way?

Also, I'm looking to get a more bang for my buck (if I head down the route of a 2 Stroke) and was looking at two Ebay Sellers with 2 Stroke Engines here and here. As you can see, one of them goes for about $140 & the other about $120, give or take.

My greatest concern and curiosity is whether or not I'd be able to get a decent lifespan out of one of those kits, or if I should hold off and purchase a more expensive kit from another Vendor like Bicycle-Engines for a tad more money.

Another quick question: Anyone here have experience with a SkyHawk GT2B 48cc Bicycle Engine Kit? Because that's another one I've had my eye on from Bicycle-Engines.com for $179.98 (excluding S/D).

Thanks again for any advice you can offer! I greatly appreciate it!

Edit:

Also have been eyeballing this 49cc 4G T Belt 4-Stroke engine as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I bought 5 gt2b 2010 engine at one time four years ago, all five are still running. I did have to replace the crank bearings and seals on the one I have the most miles on (1500 or so) but the other four haven't been into. I did do a good bit of porting on the cylinder and got a lot more out mine than the others, I guess bearings and seals are the price for more speed.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The engine that works best is the one you find with a true crankshaft, and was put together cleanly. I have a 48cc bgf engine from when they sold them on eBay that's runs just about as good as the gt2b after doing a few mods. I also have a 66cc from rose326 a eBay seller that runs very well after mods as well. I like most of the people here that have built a few disassemble a brand new engine and "do our think to improve performance" before we ever fire it up the first time.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
In my opinion the 2 stroke engines are much better simply because you can do more to them with less money. You can do your own port work. Simply by cleaning up the exciting ports and putting a good pipe on it and your good to go. They will go 30 to 35 mph without to much work. On the other hand the 4 strokes have to have more CC to make the comparable to the 2 strokes. You have to look at the 2 strokes as a throw away motor you can do what ever you want to them and if it doesn't work your only out 129.00 dollars. That's just what I think.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Wait. There's a question if 2-smokes are as good as Four Cylinder Engines? :)

I kid because I almost always build 4-bangers. I am more familiar with them I guess, and prefer the look and some other things. Two strokes have been proven to perform time and again. They are affordable. The majority of members have 2-strokes, and that's alot of info to draw from. But don't think there's a lack of 4-stroke knowledge, because there is not.

BTW: What bike are you building on?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2 stroke guys will tell you one thing. The 4 cycle crowd will tell you something else. This question gets asked time and time again. It's like asking what's best, Ford or Chevy? There is no right answer. You'll have to do a lot of reading and make that decision for yourself. Sorry, I wish it was simple but facts are facts.
They both have advantages and disadvantages. You'll need to be the judge.

Not to muddy the waters, but there is also a growing interest in electric bikes. A whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Tom

DemonSlayerz

Jan 27, 2015
Oregon
Wait. There's a question if 2-smokes are as good as Four Cylinder Engines? :)

I kid because I almost always build 4-bangers. I am more familiar with them I guess, and prefer the look and some other things. Two strokes have been proven to perform time and again. They are affordable. The majority of members have 2-strokes, and that's alot of info to draw from. But don't think there's a lack of 4-stroke knowledge, because there is not.

BTW: What bike are you building on?
Hey Trey, I'm looking to build on my 2007 Raleigh Venture 3.0. I know that I would have the space and ability to mount a 2 Stroke & a 4 Stroke. I'm just trying to decide which will last longer since I would be using it to ride 15-20 miles a day, about 5-6 days a week.

Obviously, no one can give a straight fact against fact as to which stroke engine is the best. In the end, I was merely asking for everyone's personal opinion ~ and why they are so eager to use whichever engine they use in their current builds. I'm not trying to start a war between which is better, but rather why each individual prides themselves on whichever engine they choose to install (i.e. I prefer using a 2-Stroke engine for the increased power, speed and the endless amount of modifications I can add giving me the ultimate control over what my final product will look like!).

In any case, I will keep researching and seeing what I can find. Hopefully I'll be able to get my build started soon... I'm tired of biking 5-6 miles at 2AM after I get off of a 8-10 hour shift on my feet all day. Bleh.

Thank everyone for your advice! I greatly appreciate any insight you have to offer! :)

Sincerely,
Adam

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Bike looks good enough, but I don't have any experience with one.
My HS 4-stroke is 11" from the bottom of the motor mount to the top of the head. The 4-stroke needs to be pretty close to level, so you should carefully check clearances before ordering your motor. Probably not a problem, and a 2-stroke will go just fine.