Brake/Turn Signals

GoldenMotor.com

sethward62

Aug 29, 2014
Houston
Title of the thread speaks for itself

Anyone have any recommendations for brake lights and turning signals for my bike? I've found a set that looks good, but in the description it says that it should be used only at night/early morning, and most of my riding occurs late morning/afternoon.

So in general, my main concern is brightness.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Make your own :)
Really? With flashing turn signals? It might be a fun learning project, but what if you just want to exploit cheap imported technology? I wasted all my time on a durable 12 volt charging system and want an easy to install, reliable, visible system for turning/brakes. Any ideas?

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
colfax ca /northern calif
I have mounted signals on my bike, but I am unable to find a flasher unit that will work with LED lites the led's that I have are 21w with 6 leds for each of the 4 turn lites , need to find a flasher for this small a setup the one diagram I have say's to use a 552 flasher but all it does is to light up the les's with no flashing thankyou
clfx

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Title of the thread speaks for itself

Anyone have any recommendations for brake lights and turning signals for my bike? I've found a set that looks good, but in the description it says that it should be used only at night/early morning, and most of my riding occurs late morning/afternoon.

So in general, my main concern is brightness.

the best signal you can have is hand signals.
turning signals can get left on even with self canceling.
your almost better off on a bicycle or motorcycle not having signals
if you leave them on by mistake someone for sure will pull out into your path.
but if you have to have signals many motorcycle aftermarket parts companies
like JP cycles have miniature led signals that could be adapted to be used on a bicycle.
but pretty much you would need everything so why not go all out adapting motorcycle controls that have many of the built in switches that you would need. for lights turn signals throttle mirrors etc.
your only limited by your imagination and budget.
on every single motorcycle I have ever had I removed the front turn signals
leaving only the back. as if the signals got left on and someone from behind thought I was turning and I didn't its not like they could put out in front of me.
if your on a tight budget find a motorcycle junk yard where you will most likely find most if not all of what you would need for cheap.
you will also need a way to power the system but if you stick with all led bulbs they will be bright and only require a minimal power source like one from a rechargeable power tool of sufficient voltage and amperage.
again your just limited by your budget and imagination.
good luck
I would stay away from low power non Dot approved lights as they just wont work good in all conditions as you have already been told.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
I have mounted signals on my bike, but I am unable to find a flasher unit that will work with LED lites the led's that I have are 21w with 6 leds for each of the 4 turn lites , need to find a flasher for this small a setup the one diagram I have say's to use a 552 flasher but all it does is to light up the les's with no flashing thankyou
clfx
this may be cheap fix for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Signal-Flasher-Switch-Electronic/dp/B004O1YTLW
good luck let me know if it works out for you.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
no problem I think this will do what you need. you may find other ones with a diagram and instructions but at least you know what to get.
Some of the reviews mention tips on installing it which may help enough to get it working properly

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
That's cool and all but if they are left on and you don't hear the warning
due to traffic noise or wind noise bike noise you can still get into trouble.
most people on bikes and motorcycles are more likely to remember to cancel
the turn signal anyways and are usually ready to react to the different road hazards.
its all a matter of personal preference and what you are comfortable with.
so there is no wrong answer.
for me I feel more comfortable by eliminating the front of never putting them on in the first place. But that's just my choice.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I used momentary switches on my turn signals, so they never get left on. (I flash them manually, then they return to the off position.) All the other lights are wired to standard single throw on/off switches. All switches are mounted in an old minnow aerator box attached on my handlebars. It's a simple setup with a rechargeable 18v drill battery, but works great for me.
There are pics in the build thread under the "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum. Might help with ideas. There are many different methods used around here. Good luck!

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Last edited:

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks, but I was looking for something far less costly, but I don't want a P.O.S. that I listed in that ebay link for under $10. Probably something that would cost around $30 or $40. If anyone has come across something like this please upload link. Thanks