Legality in Certain States

GoldenMotor.com

Mechanic

May 5, 2014
places
I've been searching the web to see where in the United States it is legal to drive one of these.

I have been waiting to build a motorized bicycle and I have been wondering about legal issues. If someone could tell me, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've been searching the web to see where in the United States it is legal to drive one of these.

I have been waiting to build a motorized bicycle and I have been wondering about legal issues. If someone could tell me, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if it dawned on you or not but letting us know what state you live in might help with getting your question answered since different states have different laws on what is and isn't "legal"

Some states like Texas have a gray area that most china girl builds fall into, other states are very specific.

Welcome to the forum

Map
.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The laws vary greatly from state to state. Be sure to look up the particular state's D.M.V websites for updated information.

Some states require pedals, for example while others do not. Some states require a Motor Assisted Bicycles, Motor Driven Bicycles, Mopeds (depending how an individual state defines them) may require a MB only capible of 20 MPH while others do not. Even the driver's licence required from state to state differ.

Also, like Map said and my state included, the laws can be vague with a lot of confusing grey area.

So it is not as simple as where it is legal or not. The lists I have read online have mostly been left un-updated so alls I can suggest is to carfully check with what ever states you would be ridding one in. If pulled over by lawenforcement, it won't help you that some one with nothing but good intentions gave you some bad information.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Motorized bikes are illegal in New York.
Just about every other state has different laws.

I have no clue what the laws are in the 'place" you are in?
LOL: "places" asking for regionally specific information.

Yes, it's not "legal" in New York, but I've been flaunting the law in Suffolk County on Long Island with impunity for nearly 2 years (only 20% in Connecticut where it's legal with a 49cc and a driver's license). It boils down to riding style and age. I'm a large man in his 40s who wears a helmet, has blinking front and rear lights, signals (some of) his turns, rides well to the right of the lane, waves to drivers to acknowledge them, and smiles a lot at everyone. Cops NEVER bother me, and I've actually had them wave, smile, and ask me about the build. Technically, mine's not even legal in Connecticut since it's 66cc, but my fat-ass needs the power.

Soooo, to answer you: just ride responsibly and be respectful to your fellow moving humans. Keep your fingers crossed you don't end up dealing with a cop who has a chip on his shoulder, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I appreciate all of the advice that you all have given me.
Youre very welcome and welcome to the forum, Mechanic.

LOL, Kioshk. I rode all around Poughkeepsie smiling and waving at the cops. Not a clue that they were not legal. Most sort of nodded, looked away. Some half heartedly waved back.

Here in CT, I find the cops wave and smile. And I have some obviously large engines.

DBB

Jul 7, 2009
Florida
I'm not a lawyer, but I think...

If you can get your state to give you a license plate for that contraption and an operator's license to ride it, you can probably ride it in any state.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm not a lawyer, but I think...

If you can get your state to give you a license plate for that contraption and an operator's license to ride it, you can probably ride it in any state.
Each state has its own laws for things and most of the time they do not honor another statez laws when ot conflicts with there own, just like conceal carry gun laws, not every state will allow you to carry a concealed gun ven though you are legal to do so in your home state.

Map