Washington state motorized bike laws.

GoldenMotor.com

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hi, noob here :).

I'm looking to get my first kit for my mountain bike, and I've been trying to figure out some of the laws dealing with motorized bikes here in Washington State.

From what I've found, it looks like I would have to get it registered as moped, which would mean that I would have to jump through a bunch of hoops, including paying for a VIN to be assigned, in addition to the licensing fees. Is that true? Or is there something I'm missing, and I actually don't need to go through all that?

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Yea, I figure I'm just fine. Been riding the bike a few weeks now, and the cops I've passed don't seem to care. And the moped laws in Washington state are so messed up that I don't think they even matter.

Gnildir

Jan 6, 2009
Castle Rock, Wa
Yea, I figure I'm just fine. Been riding the bike a few weeks now, and the cops I've passed don't seem to care. And the moped laws in Washington state are so messed up that I don't think they even matter.
Hey, I am looking for all Washington motorized cyclists out there. I am working with a friend, local congressmen/women and an acquaintance that has ties with the Attorney General of Washington State. I am in the process on making up some paperwork so I can get a copy of a bill to be seen and approved before the Senate can have it read before the committee. The request is so simple, all I just want them to do is just adopt Arizona's laws of motorized bikes.

I have talked to a Washington State Patrolman who expressed his interest in motorbicycling, and found out why... He is from Arizona and knows their laws are so plain and simple. This officer has seen a few people in my town with motorized bikes and decided to check the legalities. He told me that there is no set definition to what a motorized bicycle is... He said that occasionally he will get inquiries from sheriffs or police department about them. He is saying that it's all legal and in the open right now until there are set of defined laws for motorized bikes, and he mentions that it is legal in Arizona and recites their laws.

Depending on the dahlia shows (I show dahlia flowers professionally), I would like to have a forum/conference about asking the congress to discuss on a Motorized Bike Law. Of all of the times I have been riding motorized bikes, only 2 police officer harass me about it. There is a cop that I used to be friends with (he has known me for over 35 years, when I was just a tot), has harassed me about my bike and calling it an "Illegally built motorcycle" on the top of that, he pointed out to my bike trailer and told me that's bad news. He told me that is a thief's tool. I was just about ready to argue with him and he threatened to throw my ass in jail on 5 citations. Well, after I have talked to the mayor, who is supportive of me, I have made 1 cop extremely pissed off at me, and he cannot lay a finger on me. The mayor brought up a memo to the Police Department to leave guys that have trailers on their bikes alone, unless they are in areas where they are not supposed to be. ie.. alley-ways as Cowlitz County has an anti-salvaging laws. If you are in the alley, and a cop sees cans or stuff out of the trash destined for recycling for money or scavenging, that is when they can ask - as long as "plain view doctrine" applies. There is a local sheriff that has harassed me about my bike because of the lights, and the 'no riding of scooters after dark' laws. Well, 1st of all, my bike is not a scooter, and 2nd of all. I have made this sheriff stop complaining about me. I have 2 lights on my handle-bars (1 - 60 watt halogen and 1 9-bulb LED flashlight with a driver on it. Plus, I have 2 tail-lights on (3 if I have my trailer on). I decided to push my luck and to find where this sheriff sleeps some of his days... I sped right past him, and then went around the trail and did it again, then went to the store. I went in, got some groceries, and he was just standing there, scratching his head.. I said "See Ya!" and sped off into the dark. I am always changing my configuration until I find the best one possible. Plus, going to make a solar charger for the batteries.

Well, you can see what issues that I am trying to resolve... With a local Mayor who is an attorney as well as other people, I just might be able to do it, plus a few enhancements!

THSeaMonster

Jul 19, 2010
Richland, WA
Hey best of luck to you! I'm not too friendly with cops around here. I get harassed on my bike without a motor all the time. It would be nice to have laws on my side. If you need signatures, I'd be glad to assist. From my experience, if laws are vague, cops bend them in their favor.

Andy

meatwad

Nov 2, 2009
vancouver wa
Hey, I am looking for all Washington motorized cyclists out there. I am working with a friend, local congressmen/women and an acquaintance that has ties with the Attorney General of Washington State. I am in the process on making up some paperwork so I can get a copy of a bill to be seen and approved before the Senate can have it read before the committee. The request is so simple, all I just want them to do is just adopt Arizona's laws of motorized bikes.

Dude, let sleeping dogs lie. This is the second post I've seen like this and I'm really going to be mad If someone makes it so I have to spend a bunch of time and money just to ride my little bike.

Please go back to your dalias and quit provokeing cops and politicans who would be more than glad to have a law to throw at you (and now me)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Just to be clear, (for anyone who's pondering how to get the law on our side) going to Congress is not going to be of much use. It's the state legislature(s) that matter.

In most places, whether these bikes are technically legal or 'undefined', the cops aren't too concerned about people riding them as long as these folks behave responsibly.

I am inclined to agree with the post that said, 'Let sleeping dogs lie". But that's not quite enough. Sometimes the motorists do pressure legislators to clear the roads of all but cars. These attempts have been known to happen and they have some strength. Sympathy from traffic planners, for instance. In some places at some times the cars have come close to getting bicycles, of all sorts, banned from the roads. There've been other successes; golf carts and quads are illegal on the roads in most places. Even if these bans were not brought about by public outcry, they strengthen the 'cars only' argument. Bicycles are not perfectly safe from future attempts.

So we do need to be prepared to lobby, though probably not on the federal level. But we can also do a lot to avoid the need to lobby.

Anyone who wants to help can do so by following a couple of simple rules.

1. Ride in a way that gives no one reason to fear that you'll plow into their elderly mother or their children.
2. Ride in a way that gives no one reason to fear that you'll suddenly dash right in front of their bumper or under their wheels.
3. Act as though you're not going to interfere with traffic in some crazy and needless way.

I could go on, but you get the idea. This sort of stuff will help keep us safe from legislation.

Last edited:

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico
Hi guys Il be starting my build at the end of January I live out by Gigharbor in the small town called (Home) out on the peninsula all buses have been cut off out here and its hard to get to the market place for food in Key center I just need a grocery grabber Im all for being stealthy but on the other hand I wanted and need a trailer to hall stuff and that well make me stick out .

Im good if I get stopped Im 53 so im not a kid I have clean CDL drivers lic. never been in trouble with the law no DUI"s.
O I did talk to a guy that was riding a motorized bicycle and he said just tell them its a peddle assist bike the laws are so vague that they just let him go about his business.
Im sorry but im more swinging to let sleeping dogs lie I think thats the truck driver side in me I can spot a police car a mile away just
( shut it off and start peddling ).crt.

Last edited:

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico
Why not just do as Pablo says and go 49cc? If you can ride 49cc legally now, you're probably better off not rocking the boat.
Thats my plan 49cc HS but the laws are still vague on that to it just states you don't half to have a motorcycle lic. but nothing about registering its like up in the air im still going to build one in January and see what happens the cop that was out here harassing people got so many complaints from the very rich to the very poor he had no favoritism ;) was re assassin to are high school so he can bust are kids chops all day long .

Last edited:

sargedp

May 4, 2018
I have passed by a couple of different cops on my bike and they didn't even blink. I made a point of turning and using proper hand signals so they could see I was a responsible rider.Spokane is small enough that the cops will get to know you as that "responsible rider on his little moto-bike" and then they will remember that you follow the rules and leave you alone. I think for the most part cops don't want to pull anyone over if they don't have to so I don't give them any reason to.