stolen bike = NEW BUILD!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
ok so my motorized stump jumer was stollen but the silver lining is that now i have an excuse to build a new one.

i am thinking of motorizing a fixie. i am hoping that some one know of a wat to attache the drive cog to the fixed side of a flip flop hub and can direct me to the proper method.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Flip flop hubs have right hand treads on both sides. The wheel has a quick release. This way you can switch between a single speed freewheel or a fixed gear. You could also have two different size fixed gears if the bike has a chain tensioner on it. To attach a left side gear to a hub the treads would need to be left hand treaded. You can buy hubs which have both left and right hand treads on them. However there is other ways to attach a left side gear for the engine to drive. The right side must be a freewheel. Otherwise the peddles would always move. That would be extremely dangerous.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have seen fixie hubs that retain the fixed sprocket exactly the same way as a coaster hub.
The sprocket has teeth that engage slots on the hub and the sprocket is held in place with a retaining ring.
This was on the cheap $60.00 fixies that Walmart sold about a year ago.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
About as scary as as running an SBP shift kit through a coaster hub (not accounting for the use of the brake in a coaster hub).
Folks here have done it. I have not read of any problems with it yet.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do not be over wicked and do not be a fool- why die before your time?

It is still a free world my friend. Live life as you feel is best. You certainly have a good Shepard to guide you.

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
So I toured 1/2 dozen bike shops yesterday and have found two bike that I think will make a great starting point for the project. Both $299 at LBS.

first is a 47cm purefix http://purefixcycles.com/products/w...n styling with a hint of crazy for the build.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Most of us prefer steel frame bikes. They're easier to weld and less prone to cracking due to engine viberations. In the motorized bike world frame lightness isn't necessarily a good thing. It's much better to use a thick tubed bike. You say the fixie has better components. So are you putting a freewheel on the rear wheel or in the crank? With the single speed W/F all that's needed is an engine kit.

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
Most of us prefer steel frame bikes. They're easier to weld and less prone to cracking due to engine viberations. In the motorized bike world frame lightness isn't necessarily a good thing. It's much better to use a thick tubed bike. You say the fixie has better components. So are you putting a freewheel on the rear wheel or in the crank? With the single speed W/F all that's needed is an engine kit.
It come with a flip/flop hub so I will attempt to use the fixed gear locking ring and the fiber washer spoke mount to make the sprocket attachment extra strong and to try and alleviate stress on spokes. I. A little worried about the ranks fitting but figure I can always swap bottom brackets for like a 127mm or bend, cuts, fab the cranks.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I understand about attaching the engine drive srocket to the left side. Are you planning on putting a single speed freewheel to the right side of the wheel? A true fixed gear bike's peddles move any time the rear wheel moves. This is why fixed gear bikes can be peddled in reverse to make them move backwards. Peddles moving at all times would be very dangerous even if you are strapped to them.

Last edited:

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
I understand about attaching the engine drive srocket to the left side. Are you planning on putting a single speed freewheel to the right side of the wheel? A true fixed gear bike's peddles move any time the rear wheel moves. This is why fixed gear bikes can be peddled in reverse to make them move backwards. Peddles moving at all times would be very dangerous even if you are strapped to them.
Oh yeah! Not using a freewheel would be super unwise!