Ladies Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm also working with a ladies frame. The tank will probably go behind the seat to keep it less conspicuous. The tank capacity is about .2 gallons, roughly 20 miles worth.
Nice bike and a really nice job on your tank! You could probably find a market for the tanks if you wanted to fabricate more of them.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
thats so cool me and my dad wanted to make this 1968 girls schwinn hollywood into a motorbike so my mom can ride with us
I

I picked up a 68 Hollywood frame last summer as it is exactly the same as my 63 Americans... very solid frame for a middleweight and plenty of room for an engine. If the wheels are bad on yours, heavy duty 2.125 wheels from bikeworldusa will fit, although it makes things tight with the middleweight fenders... much improved the ride on me 63's however. Also, you can get a NOS front cantilever brake adapter on ebay for about 12.00 so that a bmx type of brake can go up front. You really do want more than just the coaster brake once it has a motor. Your mom will love the bike. One other thing. You will have issues with the pedal crank running into the engine. If it is a bump start only, then you can switch the crank assembly with one from a one piece newer type from an Asian bike (Japan, China) as they are a little wider and will clear. If you go with a pull start then you will need a shorter crank arm... say from a 20" donor bike. If you go this route I can find the simple little front mount adapter I made (no welding) which makes the engine install pretty easy. I can pass along a few other tips on building a nice rider with that frame as I worked out some of the bugs for myself already. If I can save you a few headaches, good. Let me know.
SB

Sister Bike

Nov 10, 2013
Michigan
Well I found this Bicycle behind a garage, and the lady was happy to give it to me. I had a 4 stroke lying around with a seized motor. Look, you get these Chinese 4 strokes, replace the clutch, or risk fixing or replacing the motor. The clutch broke first day I owned it and motor clammed up because of it!

Montgomery Ward Hawthorne Ladies Bicycle, 24"

Attachments

Last edited:

Sister Bike

Nov 10, 2013
Michigan
2 cycle oil is stinky. And she can just gas up with no hassle. Putting a full synthetic in it. Actually, I am kind of jealous, this is a sweet ride! I will probably upgrade the fork to a sr curved suspension fork if it comes in 24" Only thing about this bike is it has wishbone in the back behind the seat. It has absolutely no give to it. If you ever road on and hit a bump while sitting, you know what I am talking about. Suspension seat post likely in the future.