Cops and Getting Busted

GoldenMotor.com

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
i just sold my chopper today , gave the dude a sweet deal, 350 and a rhino mountain bike, he gave me 300 cash and was gonna owe me 50 bucks.was test riding it up the street and i rode behind him.We turned around ,and on the way back he rode on the left side of the street because cars were in the way and we couldn't get over so i slowed down trying to get over and what do you know, police. so what do i do? i instinctively turn it off and pedal. him on the other hand throttled it down the street and then the cop went after him.cuffed him and put him in the back of the car. charged him with 6 counts including driving without a license/ under suspension. i pedal by real slow as they cuffed him and my heart sank, i didn't know what to do so i pedaled my bike down the hill and rode the bike he gave me back up there and tried to get the officer to let me take the bike but he was being a total d*ck.

i have to go down and somehow prove that i'm the owner of this bike and pay 155 dollars impound fee to get it out..and i figure when he gets out of jail hes gonna come looking for me, so ill just give him his rhino bike back and whatever money i don't spend on the impound and hopefully this guy don't start sh*t with me.because if i cant get the bike out, were both screwed. i cant refund him the money

this has been very disheartening , .its making me want to stop building these things. its like if a person tries to get ahead in life they just knock you down. who thinks that this is a bunch of BS? let us ride in peace...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Perfect example of why I have an attitude about cops.
You can pay the impound fee, pay a lawyer, or kiss your bike goodbye.
The "Justice" system is all about the money.
I feel for you!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You're not the owner, you sold it.

The guy was driving on the wrong side of the road?

Another DWI case eh? One can only hope he's not a mean drunk.

Good luck.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
You're not the owner, you sold it.

The guy was driving on the wrong side of the road?

Another DWI case eh? One can only hope he's not a mean drunk.

Good luck.
well, my thing is, if he tries to go up there and say it is his, hes going to have to prove it. me on the other hand i have pictures of it being built and i have it advertised on 4 websites..so im going to try to get it out, because if he stays in jail another day its going to rack up more charges. i have a number to call tommorrow to go in there and see what i can do. i just hate for it to be a total loss, on his part , because then hes really going to come after me. hes going to want his money back because i told him that the cops didnt mess with these bikes, ive been riding in front of cops for months now and no problem. im still shocked.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I wish you the best kdaddy1980, honestly the guy did what is a prime example of what not to do, he made himself a major standout rather than just cooling it and acting low key, it does really stink that all of this has happened and I dont know all the facts, but if there was drinking involved and he was driving on the wrong side of the road and he blasted away from the law, he brought that mess on himself and I hope you can get the bike back and not have problems with the fella that seems to have brought this whole mess on himself, that kinda conduct is what give responsible law abiding motorbike riders a bulls eye on there backs and a bad rep that make the cops not want to tolerate any of them in some areas from what I understand.

Thank God I live in Texas............!

Where I live the cops see my bikes and want one, and our laws don't forbid them as long as the law is being followed and someone isnt riding like an idiot.....

Peace, Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
well, my thing is, if he tries to go up there and say it is his, hes going to have to prove it. me on the other hand i have pictures of it being built and i have it advertised on 4 websites..so im going to try to get it out, because if he stays in jail another day its going to rack up more charges. i have a number to call tommorrow to go in there and see what i can do. i just hate for it to be a total loss, on his part , because then hes really going to come after me. hes going to want his money back because i told him that the cops didnt mess with these bikes, ive been riding in front of cops for months now and no problem. im still shocked.
I'd say you better be figuring on a way to get his money back if you plan to get the bike out and keep it, if not let it go and just chalk it up as a lesson learned and be done with it and hopefully the guy isn't a complete idiot, if it were me I'd try to get the bike out, and when he gets out if he wants his money I'd just give him what I had and make a deal to get him the rest asap and put the bike back up for sale at the amount you need to pay him off.

Something seems abit odd about all of this if you have been riding around the cops for months with no issues, he must have been rally acting up for them to be so serious that he was taken to jail and noyt just told to get to where ya'll where headed and maybe a warning for not obeying the traffic laws.

best of luck
Map

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
Where I live the cops see my bikes and want one, and our laws don't forbid them as long as the law is being followed and someone isnt riding like an idiot.....

Peace, Map
reddd
thats how it should be everywhere,but the guy wasnt drinking or anything he was just not used to it and couldnt get over, but still he hadnt rode more than about 5 minutes before he got popped.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
Something seems abit odd about all of this if you have been riding around the cops for months with no issues, he must have been rally acting up for them to be so serious that he was taken to jail and noyt just told to get to where ya'll where headed and maybe a warning for not obeying the traffic laws.

best of luck
Map
well my bike has covers over the engine to make it not so obvious, and i even rode past this cop and he looked at me but didnt think nothin of it. but even being covered up you still have to fake it sometimes, just pedal so it looks normal from a distance i mean they cant really tell if your doing 5 or 25 if you do it that way i think its probably because he was black, and had gold teeth, did i forget to mention that? lol he had a bunch of drug charges that never stuck and some other stuff on his record and the cops just wanted to mess with him, they knew who he was before they even pulled him over.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
That stinks, but the buyer's the one without a license, who probably has a crappy record, and who rode off fro the cops. As far as I'm concerned, he STILL owes you $50.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
so the guy just called me, he got out of jail.. he said the cops knew him and have been dying to get him behind bars. but he said hes going to pay the impound fee to get it out, and were cool. i guess he isnt really worried about the money, hes just trying to figure out how hes going to prove its his.. but that's where i have to step up and corroberate his story. ill probably have to go down there with him and show them the pictures

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
That stinks, but the buyer's the one without a license, who probably has a crappy record, and who rode off fro the cops. As far as I'm concerned, he STILL owes you $50.
yeah i think hes still gonna pay me the 50, he wants to bring the bike back for some touch ups after he gets it out. and i get to keep the 300 and the mountain bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yeah i think hes still gonna pay me the 50, he wants to bring the bike back for some touch ups after he gets it out. and i get to keep the 300 and the mountain bike.
Thats good, I'm glad to hear you guys are getting it all worked out, cops are real jerks when they know someone has had issues in the past, that stinks but then again we can forgive but we never forget, and the laws normally do neither....!

We reap what we sow at some point or in one way or the other, and being bugged by the fuzz for what one has done in the past is just one way we may continue to pay for our wrongs of the past.

Hope it all works out for both of you.

Peace, Map

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What law was he breaking, and what was he charged with? Do you need a license to ride a motorized bicycle in Ohio?

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
well from further research the motor cant be over 50cc, have more than 2 brake horse power, or go over 20 mph. the bike has to be registered and tagged and you must have a valid driver license to operate it on the road. he was charged with driving under suspension , no registration, and 4 others that were basically the same thing just worded slightly different. oh and "suspicion of drugs", what a crock!

i built mine because i DONT have a license, and riding 8 miles up and down hills to get to school was killing me. all i wanted was a little relief and the motor helps tremendously, but once again im a criminal in the eyes of the police, which are supposed to be there to protect and serve ME!, but they are only there to screw us over and put us in there little system for profit, they arent there to help us, like they used to be in the good old days.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a drag. Needing a license, and registration for a motorized bicycle makes it kind of not worth the trouble. Might as well get a moped or motorcycle in that case.

The 50cc and 2 hp thing probably won't ever be much of an issue as long as it's a china girl, but bigger motors like from harbor freight are probably going to be risky.

Are those laws for motorized bicycles kind of new?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Don't forget, though, that they pounced on this guy because they knew who he was and they knew that he was 'dirty'. Dirty in their opinion, if nothing else.

If they don't have the same opinion of you, then you might well be able to ride by staying under their radar.

That is, if your (now) association with him doesn't tarnish you in their eyes.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm certainly glad that all the cops in my neighborhood just wave as I ride by! I guess that there's something unthreatening about a middle-aged white man, wearing a bicycle helmet, putting around on a bike with a small engine (at least around here).

Sounds like your saga has turned out for the best. Good luck!

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
so we got the chopper out after a rediculous ordeal. we had to go downtown (dayton) to the safety building to get a release for this bike, niether one of us has a license so hustling up a ride was a task. we get down to the tow yard and get the bike in hand and the guy says wait a minute, thats the wrong bike, i said no thats the right bike, he said well you have the WRONG RELEASE! they tried to give us a release for a bike that had been crashed in an accident and charge his about 60 dollars more.. $241.. luckily the tow yard guy rick said since they messed up he wouldnt charge for another day. so we hustled up another ride and he got it out with 176 dollars.. the price it would be if he were driving a car!.
the guy says hes gonna be more conservative about riding this bike around but hes wanted and the bike is hot too so hopefully he learned something from all this. and yes i think i would get away with riding way easier than he would because im white. they dont think anything when they see me. but he is a target.