Mountain Bike or Beach Crusier?

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I'm looking to build my first motorized bicycle kit using a TMXPRO 80cc/66cc and a Trek 3500 or Merida Bells Beach Cruiser, I'm basically posting asking if this is a good idea for the either one of the bikes and which kit would you suggest?

Which would be more sturdy/safer while riding at higher speeds? I was heading towards the Trek because it has suspension and would be better on dirt, But I love the look of the beach cruiser.

Trek 3500

Merida Bells Beach Cruiser

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I always vote suspension. Knee action spring on the beach bike; fat tire is softer ride as well.
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the motorized bicycle thinking about it more deeply than I can ride in other places suchs as offroad tracks and things like that... And now if I should invest in a decent motorized bicycle or get a cheaper one with the same kind of features...

auflg

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I'd go with a decent motorized bicycle.....If you can afford a couple hundred (or few hundred) MORE than a basic walmart type bike I think you will come out WAY ahead....You would be surprised at the quality difference a few hundred can make

On the flip side doing some searching on CL can nab a good quality used motorized bicycle for the about the same price as a New Walmart type (lower quality) bike.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I'm looking to build my first motorized bicycle kit using a TMXPRO 80cc/66cc and a Trek 3500 or Merida Bells Beach Cruiser, I'm basically posting asking if this is a good idea for the either one of the bikes and which kit would you suggest?

Which would be more sturdy/safer while riding at higher speeds? I was heading towards the Trek because it has suspension and would be better on dirt, But I love the look of the beach cruiser.

Trek 3500

Merida Bells Beach Cruiser
personally Id lean towards the beach cruiser but if you plan on going off road a lot then go with the trek

just my 2 cents.duh.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Cruisers for ever. If you want an offroader, get a pit bike or dirt bike. If you just want to go on flat trails that are dirt, swap the tires and get a front suspension fork. Motor bikes are used for puttering around at a nice, albeit some times slow, pace ;). Cruisers just look so much cleaner once an engine is installed. Most of the time they look like they were meant to be motorized.

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Cruisers just look so much cleaner once an engine is installed. Most of the time they look like they were meant to be motorized.
Yeah I see this, But then again there are some awesome looking MTBs if you do them right, Not just chuck a engine on there and leave a whole bunch of crap hanging from everywhere. I think I'm going the MTB looking into it a little more also thinking about getting a shifter kit but no too sure at this moment.

And I've been looking at used MTBs either get a used one or waiting a little longer and get a Mongoose Tyax Sport 2013 or the Trek 3500

Can't wait to get all the parts and build this, Then post some pictures!
auflg

webbee

Aug 22, 2008
Of the two pictured, the cruzer style has more room for the engine, and both have front bars that are going to require custom mount fabrication. Again the cruzer looks to be an easier fab for the front engine mount. You can always put gears on a cruzer, just more cost. I find used bikes and strip for parts, which is usually cheaper and you end up with parts to sell or trade.
Either one will work they just aren't plug-n-play...but then what is.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
a Micargi like this has enough 'suspension' to give a nice ride and it can be had for under $300.00 pretty much all day long, ...a Felt would probable run another hundred or two.

...it's still a work in progress so please don't judge.

peace, bozo