aussie laws: where do you ride??

GoldenMotor.com

Cuereus

Oct 20, 2012
Darwin, Australia
so the other day my bike was stolen... i was pissed as anything... today i got a call from the police saying that they have it made my day much better but then i realized that my bike isnt legal... then i realized anything motor that puts out more than 200 watts is illegal to ride in public now im pretty sure that would be every engine on the market?? what i was thinking of doing for future scenarios which would involve the police is putting a engine plate stating the output and all that on it that sits with in the laws... but thats some back ground info, not my real question. which is where do you aussie riders ride your bikes?? do you just ride it hoping no cop knows the laws or just in your back yard??

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
the funny thing is that most electric bike on oz are over 200W anyway. I dont know anyone who has an electric bike that is the legal limit. even with the new introduction of the 250W pedelec class bikes, they are still all over powered. Mostly average between 600W and 800W at my work.

In the ACT, I tend to ride on the bike paths(shared path). However, when I am visible on the road or bike path (that can be seen from the road), I make sure that Im 'ghost pedaling', the pedals are going round, but no effort in going in.

plus I got a engine plate engraved with: this engine is 200W...made by...engine number....Australian design rules class AB....you get the picture. cost me about $14 made out of the black plastic, that when engraved it has white lettering.

or you could order a rocksoild 200W certified engine and transfer the plate over. it will cost around $150 - 180 by memory. they dont list the engine by itself for sale, you have to ring them to if you just want the engine. zbox also does a 200W engine

does this help?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Petrol bikes here in Queensland are illegal, they allow 200 watt electric bikes. When I have some spare cash id like to build an electric bike.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
have a look at my links in this thread

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39266

there are some links to the commlaw and Australian design rules site.

Harry76, I have known for a while that QLD is an Internal combustion engine hater. I wonder if an ICE used as a range extender (runs a generator, which powers the electric wheel motors, rather direct to the wheels) would fall foul of the QLD laws??

I would say only a court case would sort this out.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah it sucks here in Queensland, but I think Australia wide has the 200 watt limit. So technically they are illegal everywhere, it's just whether its enforced. And I bet the other states are probably likely to follow Queenslands lead.

You can always get one of the 200 watt limited motors. I haven't ridden one so can't really comment, but I can't imagine them being very fun. Maybe I'm wrong.

I would guess you could do the ICE powering a generator, but that's a lot of work and extra weight and at the end of the day they'd still bust your balls.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
then i realized anything motor that puts out more than 200 watts is illegal to ride in public now im pretty sure that would be every engine on the market??
you could extend it to electric motors as well.

most people make, buy or remove a sticker that says 200Watts regardless of the power output of the electric motor.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
you could extend it to electric motors as well.

most people make, buy or remove a sticker that says 200Watts regardless of the power output of the electric motor.
True, but like the cop that busted me said "if you were riding an electric bike I wouldn't have looked twice, but I could hear you coming".

This won't always be the case, if electric bikes do grow in popularity a few idiots wiil play up on electric bikes causing the cops to crack down, I say whether its petrol or electric, get out riding ASAP because our days are numbered in Australia.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
This won't always be the case, if electric bikes do grow in popularity a few idiots wiil play up on electric bikes causing the cops to crack down, I say whether its petrol or electric, get out riding ASAP because our days are numbered in Australia.
I use to feel the same. However, the introduction of the pedelecs

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-power-for-electric-bikes-20130411-2hosa.html

I think the electric bike is safe in Australia, what ever the power output. I predict there will be a push for the 500W mark in years to come.

Petrol powered, I feel they will be discriminated against because of noise and the myth of there is no such thing as a 200W petrol motor. But the talkback radio I have heard, is that the authorities are hoping the market will move on.

But in saying that, there will be those 20% of people who will destroy it for the rest of us.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the link. Interesting read, gives us hope.

When I said we need to ride soon before they crack down, I didn't mean they would ban them, but rather enforce the 200 watt limit, or 250 in your state. Whereas now I'm fairly sure I could commute daily on a 1000 watt bike if ridden responsibly. Once there are more of us on the road annoying motorists the cops will know what to look out for.

Hopefully they do increase the limit to 500 watt like you said, that's sounds a lot better.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The last cop that busted me riding was actually pretty cool and wanted to know about my bike and was very impressed. He sympathised and gave me a warning, but did very much warned me if he caught me again he would act.

Anyway that copper was telling me the reason the petrol bikes were banned was more to do with the older technology, highly polluting 2 stroke engines, and rather than allowing 4 strokes they just banned ICE all together. I think he said the EPA were behind it.