Australian Riders?

GoldenMotor.com

ImMuddy

May 13, 2012
Australia
Hey, im new to the forum here and im going to be getting a 2 stroke motorized bike kit soon (superhawk R80), Im wondering if i'll loose it once i take it out to the streets. I live in NSW Australia and i do understand the laws about the 200w limit and such, but i just wanted to know, who has actually has been pulled up or had there bike taken off them. thanks for your help :)

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
you'll be fine dude.

Just try not to ride around like a loony and always wear a helmet + dont forget your lights at night.
99% of the bikes you see getting around are over 200w anyway.... seriously
Mine isn't 1 of those motors but it produces thereabouts 6200W and I have ridden past plenty of police, certainly doesn't look like your average A 2 B..though in saying that Im always looking over my shoulder and switching it off when Im passing them.
Yours should be just stick with the road rules and use common sense.
What part of sydney are you from?
Say hi to George for me.

ImMuddy

May 13, 2012
Australia
you'll be fine dude.

Just try not to ride around like a loony and always wear a helmet + dont forget your lights at night.
99% of the bikes you see getting around are over 200w anyway.... seriously
Mine isn't 1 of those motors but it produces thereabouts 6200W and I have ridden past plenty of police, certainly doesn't look like your average A 2 B..though in saying that Im always looking over my shoulder and switching it off when Im passing them.
Yours should be just stick with the road rules and use common sense.
What part of sydney are you from?
Say hi to George for me.
Great. thanks for that breno, also do you ever get any complaints about noise? I live in Newcastle btw.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
well my bike is exceptionally noisey so I tend to start the bike abit up the road from my house, also doesnt hurt to try and not ride the same way every day.
Suprising standard setup R80 are pretty quiet anyway.

I have ridden past friends houses before though and they say yes they can here it coming and going but its for such a brief time they hardly notice it.

Try not to sit out the front of someones house and just rev it up if you dont really need to either... you can warm these bikes up just by not loading the motor up and assisting by pedaling till she's warm.

I'm from Nth Western Syndey.

You'll have ablast of fun on these things too bud, just watch for other people and show abit of common courtesy, they will notice that your trying not to be a pita.

propellerhead

Oct 27, 2012
Australia
G'day All. I just signed up to this forum a few days ago. I'm mighty impressed! This is a great resource for all manner of info to do with MBs. I have some good ideas for what I'd like to build, but am disappointed with the 200W rule here in Oz. I'm disturbed too by some things I've been hearing about planned changes to Law here (Sydney, NSW). I've seen a press release from earlier in the year saying it's planned to increase permitted motor output capacities from 200W to 250W, but it read to me like it was directed specifically toward eBikes. Speaking to one of the guys at the local bike shop yesterday, I was told there are other planned changes to the Law also. He said these will serve to pretty well ban ICE powered bikes. He said there'll be no throttles permitted at all - Pedal Activated/Assisted Power only. Also, he said the Police have been getting more stringent and cracking down on MBs in recent times. I've checked over Roads and Maritime's website today but didn't see anything about new/planned legislation (besides the 250W thing mentioned above). I used the RMS website feedback/comments/queries email function to ask for specific info, but don't know when to expect a reply. Have also established contact with a VSCCS Licenced Certifier to ask. He was busy so I gotta call him back again tomorrow. Have any Aussies here heard anything around the traps? My Driver's Licence is currently disqualified but I need to commute 15km each way over some pretty hilly terrain and REALLY don't wanna get nailed!! Any info/advice appreciated.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
the latest review that was posted on the internet was OCT last year

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-05/tighter-laws-peddled-for-motorised-bicycles/3299210

The RTA still says that petrol power PACS are still legal - last updated 3 NOV 2011

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/scootersminibikes.html

here is something that was on the cards with pedalelcs
http://rideons.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/power-up/

Electric bikes to hit road once new laws are passed

And what the SMH has the most recent update
http://www.smh.com.au/national/elec...-are-passed-20121010-27dho.html#ixzz2Ay2gPZhb

Wazzabii808

Dec 2, 2012
Sydney, Australia
i just signed here too and am still deciding on which engine to get

should i get the 48cc to comply 'better' with the law or just go ahead with the 80cc? is one louder than the other? i want to try to keep noise at minimum when riding it through the neighborhood

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
the bigger engine - "works' less", for more work done = less noise = better( = no hater's)

also, dont go over 50kph - the limit. anything over that will raise the suspicion, that its over powered. - most electric bikes are 500 - 1000W, but because they are quiet, they slip under the public radar.